Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Rob. Well I've been playing with model trains for a fair few years now but this is the first layout (other than a trainset for no1 son) that I've ever wired up. It's a big learning experience for me too.

This is board 1 substantially wired up.

attachicon.gifrps20180106_155708.jpg

attachicon.gifrps20180106_160503.jpg

Left to complete:

~ 2 more droppers in section 9 to add. Those will be from the point blades which haven't been fitted yet

~ 2 wires to the tortoise point motor which also has to be fitted

~ the socket on the underside of the board which will connect into the chocolate block. I'm thinking of using GX16-9 plugs and sockets for the DC/DCC connections to the control panel

You'll note there's a chocolate block connector for every dropper connection into the bus. The droppers are being soldered on to the bus and then the block slid over the soldered joint and the screws tightened up. Belt and braces. The chocolate blocks also provide a way of fixing the wires to the layout.

attachicon.gifrps20180106_161433.jpg

I've also been careful to avoid putting screws in under the track and sleepers. All screws are into the gap between tracks. Why? To avoid any chance of the screw tip pushing the track up.

Save using screws - how about a hot glue gun to secure the choc blocs (weigh less as well)

Eltel

Yep, but when it fails (and I’m guessing hot glue is no better than any other glue at adhering to,polythene which is what the choccy blocks are moulded in) he’ll have to scrape it off the baseboard, and find a screwdriver and fiddly small screw to fix it...

Best

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Yep, but when it fails (and I’m guessing hot glue is no better than any other glue at adhering to,polythene which is what the choccy blocks are moulded in) he’ll have to scrape it off the baseboard, and find a screwdriver and fiddly small screw to fix it...

Best

Simon

Or if Damian is around, something subtle like a big nail...

• RMweb Premium

Bored now...

attachicon.gifrps20180107_125214.jpg

Feeling a bit grey.

You could get a job as a dockyard slap dasher with your experience of grey painting, the job runs to about 300ft x 20ft x 2 for the sides and about 30ft x 10ft for the end plus some other bits and bobs for the superstructure.