Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Thoroughly tested now Don, about 1500 switches, so the stop under the rail plus all the other attachments (dropper and stretcher) seem to be sufficiently robust. Reasonably happy to continue on to do the other 6 plain turnouts - the double slip is something else mind you...

• Like 4

I have never seen scale size working rodding I suspect you might have problems with rigidity which is a factor of cross sectional area over the length which is therefore affected by the scale factor. Perhaps the answer might be to have a point motor close to the turnout operating the blades and the rodding which could have a free end in the box. With no load on the end of the rodding it might be rigid enough to operate.

Don

Hi Don,

I remember a EM layout at an exhibition with working point rodding, I think it was owned by Uckfield Model railway club, over in East Sussex.

Cheers,

Martyn.

Hi Don,

I remember a EM layout at an exhibition with working point rodding, I think it was owned by Uckfield Model railway club, over in East Sussex.

Cheers,

Martyn.

Hi guys,

Howard Bolton's Minories layout in P4 has working point rodding from a very impressive fully interlocked lever frame.

Not sure where it will be exhibited next, I saw it at S4um, but think it was also at Warley.

Kevin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mostly for my own benefit as a record of how I did the first one...

Solder brass stretcher mounts on first.post-6675-0-34088000-1519683015_thumb.jpg

Saw cuts in the stretcher mounts down to bottom of rail level. (not difficult as there's already the start of a slot in the casting)

post-6675-0-50916400-1519683061_thumb.jpg

Solder short length of etch  into slot in the stretcher mount.

Lay flat with etch hanging over edge of soldering board. Bend NS wire into L, fix onto bottom of rail and against etch. Solder up.

Finally add second short length of etch in the slot in the second stretcher mount.

post-6675-0-58137100-1519683349_thumb.jpg

(Will fill in the photo gaps next time)

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Probably the wrong sort. 189 with 5% silver from Hobby Holidays.

I believe silver solder is highly recommended by those that do things correctly. I don't have any though. So instead went for beefing up the mechanical connection by soldering the L dropper to the base of the rail and the strip of etch which in turn is soldered to the stretcher mount and the rail. 

Seems sturdy enough, particularly after all the testing I've done. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Switch rails all fitted to the second turnout of the crossing, wired up and working...

post-6675-0-40216500-1520201685_thumb.jpg

Both frogs of the crossing are on the second board and both are switched by the modified Tortoise on board two.

post-6675-0-82788700-1520201754_thumb.jpg

The Tortoise was all wired up off board and just dropped into place.

post-6675-0-83477600-1520201856_thumb.jpg

The frog switching worked first time, with all polarities correct which was a surprise! Small celebration.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Switch rails all fitted to the second turnout of the crossing, wired up and working...

attachicon.gifrps20180304_221233.jpg

Both frogs of the crossing are on the second board and both are switched by the modified Tortoise on board two.

attachicon.gifrps20180304_111008.jpg

The Tortoise was all wired up off board and just dropped into place.

attachicon.gifrps20180304_221623.jpg

The frog switching worked first time, with all polarities correct which was a surprise! Small celebration.

Why the surprise you have been careful with this aspect of the work. It is nice to see the fruits of your labours and a working layout draws near as a reward.  Perhaps a large celebration then.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Don. It is another landmark for me, two out of the four scenic boards fully wired and with working turnouts. Two scenic boards left to wire, seven point motors to fit and a small bit of track left to build.

I suppose after that lot I really should build the fiddle yard and control panel and that will then give me a working layout to enjoy running stuff on whilst the scenic work and stock building can continue.

Good stuff.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Ive got the ply..

I've gone for 6mm, I thought the 10mm was over the top.

The chap in B&Q was not happy to cut such relatively small pieces and he said he couldn't do the curved ends.  Pahh, I've got a file, we'll be ok.  

There is quite a lot of the 8' x 4' sheet left over

Andy

But seriously folks......

There is no under frame kit.

PM's with Paul Gallon and Rob Pulham steered me to this kit:

Parkside Kit PS45 LNER 12 ton goods van

This is the diagram 94, its the right wheelbase, it has all of the right brake gear, buffers, axle guards and the 'box' on top is the right size overall.

Chris's desired wagon differs from the kit in that it has steel solebars / headstock and the kit is all wooden, and as a plywood wagon the sides are all smooth but the kit is planked.

The idea is to remove all of the raised detail on the body sides and clad in thin plasticard before adding the right strapping and doors etc. Also need to replace the solebars and headstocks

I took delivery of the kit this week thanks to H and A models.

Watch this space

Andy

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Confused dot com...

One of my wagons was retro-fitted with sprung W irons. Runs beautify. I was convinced that the springing units were produced by either Parkside or more likely Slater's. Can I find them on either of their websites? Nope.

• RMweb Premium

Confused dot com...

One of my wagons was retro-fitted with sprung W irons. Runs beautify. I was convinced that the springing units were produced by either Parkside or more likely Slater's. Can I find them on either of their websites? Nope.

re

In 4mm it would be PECO wonderful wagons, the plastic springs are springs... they do 7mm wagons, if they are the same, is that what you were thinking about

Andy

• RMweb Premium

re

In 4mm it would be PECO wonderful wagons, the plastic springs are springs... they do 7mm wagons, if they are the same, is that what you were thinking about

Andy

Nope these are brass that screw into the base of the wagon.

• RMweb Premium

A while back I acquired a job lot of Exactoscale wagon chassis parts, including these two etches:

post-6675-0-72295400-1520668350_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-71141800-1520668360_thumb.jpg

My mind reading skills are not what they should be, so does anyone know where destructions can be found for them? Nothing jumps out on the C&L website.

• RMweb Gold

It seems a shame if they are no longer available. Mind you I have never found the need to spring or compensate 7mm wagons as long as  they have been weighted.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Hey Spamalot.

This is how the Peco rocking w-iron system works. I can't see it for sale separately on their website but may be worth calling them if you're interested.

PS you could probably make one using the w irons from whatever you are building

post-12721-0-01750300-1520699571_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-32674900-1520699599_thumb.jpg

Edited by colin penfold