Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

Chris,

I've looked just outa curiosity and can't seem to find 'ewt either.

Colins post above has prompted me to say that 90% of my stock so far is Peco's with this rocking system. I did find that I had to thin the rear of the springs in order to get a freer movement though.

With your lovely pointwork, do you really need these sprung units ? It looks to me as though your stock runs perfectly fine through the vee construction.

One of my wagons is Minerva Iron Mink ( nice model too ) which has small springs on each axle and even though the Peco wheels run through without the dreaded "drop" it is slightly noticeable with the Mink and the wheels appear to be exactly the same even though I've used the 31.5mm gauges ?

G

• RMweb Premium

But seriously folks......

There is no under frame kit.

PM's with Paul Gallon and Rob Pulham steered me to this kit:

Parkside Kit PS45 LNER 12 ton goods van

This is the diagram 94, its the right wheelbase, it has all of the right brake gear, buffers, axle guards and the 'box' on top is the right size overall.

Chris's desired wagon differs from the kit in that it has steel solebars / headstock and the kit is all wooden, and as a plywood wagon the sides are all smooth but the kit is planked.

The idea is to remove all of the raised detail on the body sides and clad in thin plasticard before adding the right strapping and doors etc. Also need to replace the solebars and headstocks

I took delivery of the kit this week thanks to H and A models.

Watch this space

Andy

I made a start yesterday morning before the family awoke.

From the sides I needed to remove, the corner straps, door stops, the doors bottom runner and bolt heads

post-8894-0-12017400-1520751131.jpgpost-8894-0-47697100-1520751168.jpg

Then 10 thou plasticard to over clad the planking. The prototype ply van has the doors upper rail extended right across the full with of the wagon side. Not sure why its like it but I have replicated it anyway. The side still needs trimming off.

post-8894-0-83290100-1520751389.jpg

Andy

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Pencarrow is primarily designed to be a stay at home layout. Despite this I'm using typical exhibition methods in its construction, such as making it on individual boards rather than a permanent frame.

The boards are nearly 1m deep, and a bit tricky to work on the rear half. No problem, disconnect the board and turn it so the bit you want to work on is at the front. Very handy.

post-6675-0-51536000-1520782056_thumb.jpg

Here I'm adding all the missing cosmetic fishplates. Yawn...

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

One area I'm also looking at is where the switch rails meet the common crossing. Martin Wynne has a diagram showing how the various chairs are arranged.

My turnouts are all B6s. From the tip of the switch rail the first 8 timbers have slide chairs. The next 2 need block chairs. The next has bridge chairs on both rails. The next has a mix of bridge and ordinary chairs, then there's enough space to use ordinary chairs...

post-6675-0-39438500-1520785459_thumb.jpg

There's much less choice of chair in the 7mm C&L catalogue than 4mm. C&L produce the slide chairs and ordinary chairs in their normal range. They also have the bridge chair (the square light tan coloured ones in the photo) from the Exactoscale range. Everything else needs to be a bodge.

I've gone for 3d printed special chairs for the crossing and bodging up approximations of those for the checkrails.

That leaves the block chairs. On the outside I'm using the keyed half from an ordinary chair. In the center knocking stuff up from plasticard/microstrip. In the inner the other half of the ordinary chair.

Should be OK for a passing glance?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I've also had a play with adding in a representation of the metal plate that goes on the timber at the top of the switch rail. I understand this was put in to help stop gauge wander at this point.

post-6675-0-57709300-1520787758_thumb.jpg

Need to just double check how long it should be and if any bolts should be added.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Still got the bits to add between the rails on the white plasticard but I'm leaving that until the current bits are set.

attachicon.gifrps20180311_164116.jpg

Is the S1 chair(s) on the main and the L1, bridge chair(s) on the turnout road? cos that's the way they usually are, at least those that I have fitted have been.

• RMweb Premium

Is the S1 chair(s) on the main and the L1, bridge chair(s) on the turnout road? cos that's the way they usually are, at least those that I have fitted have been.

That's interesting because the C&L drawings have the chairs the other way around:

post-6675-0-36099100-1520803114_thumb.jpg

Rightly or wrongly I've followed the C&L drawing.

There's a distinct possibility of some naughty words if the C&L drawing is wrong.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When I get back home, I'm away for another week, I will try to remember to look through my photo archive of photo's that I have taken on the ESR and see if I have any showing REA bullhead turnouts. I have a few flat bottom pictures and quite a few GW ones.

Well, I've been following C&L too.  I've also been fitting JLTRT tiebars of late and notice yours appear to have some castings joined with plastic strip.  I'm guessing this is cosmetic because I think I see wire droppers off the blade tips.

John

• RMweb Premium

When I get back home, I'm away for another week, I will try to remember to look through my photo archive of photo's that I have taken on the ESR and see if I have any showing REA bullhead turnouts. I have a few flat bottom pictures and quite a few GW ones.

I've been talking to Mark off thread and have concluded that bad language is required. Looks like the C&L drawing has the pair of bridge chairs on the wrong lines. Timber 14 should have the bridge chairs on the diverging line. A drawing on Martin Wynne's site and the Scale4 templates all show this arrangement. That's 7 turnouts that need attacking with inappropriate tools.

At least it's been found at this stage when everything is still relatively accessible. Would have been a s0d after ballasting, painting, point rodding etc.

The main down side is that I don't have enough bridge chairs left. Lots of all the other types. Does anyone have any laying around unwanted?

• RMweb Premium

Well, I've been following C&L too.  I've also been fitting JLTRT tiebars of late and notice yours appear to have some castings joined with plastic strip.  I'm guessing this is cosmetic because I think I see wire droppers off the blade tips.

John

Hi John

I've not used the JLTRT tiebars. After lots of playing with various alternatives I went for the C&L castings. The tiebar itself is cosmetic and just a bit of plastic strip.

The blades are switched from below with an underboard slider and Tortoise point motor. It looks like this without a board top in the way...

post-6675-0-28084100-1520805775_thumb.jpg

Spammerz, ( my old chestnut problem )

Sorry, yeah really, I looked on the C & L website for your quoted ref: 7T1BF castings but can't see them, do you know if they are still available mate ?

I tried telephoning last week but couldn't get a reply, haven't tried an e-mail yet.

G

Hi John

I've not used the JLTRT tiebars. After lots of playing with various alternatives I went for the C&L castings. The tiebar itself is cosmetic and just a bit of plastic strip.

The blades are switched from below with an underboard slider and Tortoise point motor. It looks like this without a board top in the way...

attachicon.gifrps20180225_121016.jpg

Nice, thanks for the pic.  I had a notion to do something similar a la Rice under the baseboard.  Now that I've done the JLTRT tiebars, which seem strong, I may just stick the Tortoise operating up into the central hole.

John

• RMweb Premium

Spammerz, ( my old chestnut problem )

Sorry, yeah really, I looked on the C & L website for your quoted ref: 7T1BF castings but can't see them, do you know if they are still available mate ?

I tried telephoning last week but couldn't get a reply, haven't tried an e-mail yet.

G

Absolutely no idea old bean. I got all my packs second hand off the G0G estates sales stand at Telford last year.

Hayfield may be able to advise on the C&L front as he seems to be in touch with Phil.

Sorry, not much help.

• RMweb Premium

Nice, thanks for the pic.  I had a notion to do something similar a la Rice under the baseboard.  Now that I've done the JLTRT tiebars, which seem strong, I may just stick the Tortoise operating up into the central hole.

John

A cunning plan, will be good to see how that option works. Doesn't help BGman though as the JLTRT tiebars aren't available either! Not his day really. ;-p

• RMweb Premium

I've been talking to Mark off thread and have concluded that bad language is required. Looks like the C&L drawing has the pair of bridge chairs on the wrong lines. Timber 14 should have the bridge chairs on the diverging line. A drawing on Martin Wynne's site and the Scale4 templates all show this arrangement. That's 7 turnouts that need attacking with inappropriate tools.

At least it's been found at this stage when everything is still relatively accessible. Would have been a s0d after ballasting, painting, point rodding etc.

The main down side is that I don't have enough bridge chairs left. Lots of all the other types. Does anyone have any laying around unwanted?

The $64 million question is, can you live with knowing now, that they are wrong? if you can, I would leave well alone and carry on. Once you have ballasted it and added the point rodding etc, you probably won't notice anything is amiss from a normal view point. If you modelled the GW, you wouldn't have the problem as they used "Z" chairs

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=187&forum_id=12

5th post down on the Templot forum.

• RMweb Premium

The $64 million question is, can you live with knowing now, that they are wrong? if you can, I would leave well alone and carry on. Once you have ballasted it and added the point rodding etc, you probably won't notice anything is amiss from a normal view point. If you modelled the GW, you wouldn't have the problem as they used "Z" chairs

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=187&forum_id=12

5th post down on the Templot forum.

Unfortunately I don't think I can ignore that it's wrong.

There are other aspects of the trackwork that aren't quite right but I can live with that as the parts aren't available, there's 100s of them and the time/cost to bodge a solution is too high.

In this case the parts are available, it only involves 4 chairs on each of 7 turnouts and it's a relatively easy mistake to correct.

There was an error on our now departed 4mm layout Treneglos. We installed catch/traps at each end of the loop. We found out much later that the NCR didn't use them in that location.

I was OK until I knew but then it bugged me every time I saw them, compounded by folk pointing it out after our heinous crime was highlighted on a signalling forum. See, I'm still mentally scarred!