Hi

Thanx for that Ian. Yes after Stafford Melangoose will be at

Brockenhurst on 23 & 24 of May 2015

Weymouth on 29 & 30 Oct 2016

Possibly another show in 2016 (to be confirmed)

Cheltenham (Hatherley) in Apr 2017

Also the Exhibition manager from Barnstaple has showed an interest, so fingers crossed, another to add to the list

Regards

Nigel

• Like 4

Hi

Have been tinkering with various things on the layout prior to Stafford

post-8832-0-79480600-1421963454.jpg

We now have a  First Western National bus, got this recently at an exhibition for a knocked down price due to the front destination panel was missing, so I have attempted to make one.

Must admit I am not an expert on buses, or whether this type in this livery is suitable for 2000-2003.   To me it looks nice so its staying.

post-8832-0-24851600-1421963823_thumb.jpg

New addition to the fleet 66522 (this is the variant from Bachmann with the sound on board)

Anyone that knows me will be aware that I do like full buffer beam detailing on my locos, I know that's a personal choice for me, but it can depend on the curves of your layout to whether you have the manufacturers couplings or buffer beam detail with a coupling bar or screwlink.  I used to make a coupling bar that is attached around the buffers, but over time have decided that this can look a little untidy.  37670 has had a u shape piece of wire from the buffer beam, and I have decided that this looks less intrusive.  37670 has worked like this for the last 2 outings successfully, so more locos have now been visiting the workshop to have this type fitted (37708, 47843, 66211 & 66546).

Regards

Nigel

post-8832-0-14449300-1421965648_thumb.jpg

Edited by Melangoose
  • Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

First time I've seen the 'goose today. An impressive little layout. I can feel the need for an extension coming on.............

Good to chat to the team as well.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi

Thanks for the great pictures John. Had a great weekend at Stafford with Nick, John, Geoff and Dad. Was great to chat with the public and meet up with old friends. It was a superb exhibition, I did enjoy looking at the big D&E layouts Loftus Road, Whiteacres, Farkham & Aberdeen Kirkhill, even Drewsbury had some diesels with a great mid 60's Freightliner rake with caboose (well done Arron). Picked up some more Exhibition invites for Barnstaple, Manchester, Derby and Worthing (a nice geographical mix).

Regards

Nigel

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Great to catch up yesterday Nigel, layout looked fab and some great shots above, and that Wessex 150 is just gorgeous! I used to love that 'Tarka Belle' otter version covered in beavers everywhere!

Cheers

James 

Hi,

I was alongside this layout at Stafford helping on Eskmuir, and was very taken with it. Very nicely done. Not surprised to see you got more invites with it.

Mind you I am surprised there are no photos of the visit of a preserved Q1 to the line!  :O  :O

Or did Dad not let on Nigel!

• 3 weeks later...

Celebrity Locos !!!!!

I can't say that I have been a huge fan of Celebrity model loco's, I prefer to model everyday "run of the mill" loco's with weathering as opposed to the ex-works look. We do have a model of 47843 Vulcan in ex Virgin livery, this loco operated cement trains into Cornwall for Freightliner in 2003 (I have always referred to this as my celebrity loco).

During the Stafford exhibition, one of my guest operators (Geoff) had a model of 37308 in Heritage BR Blue (now I know this loco operated in Cornwall in 2003).  I believe that 308 was repainted for an open day in the early noughties (if anybody knows which one, please post a reply).  the model performed faultlessly over the two days on Melangoose and got plenty of admiring glances (mostly by me).  There are x2 pictures on the post by John (Digital) on the 1st of February.

At the Stafford show my Dad purchased a Lego biffo man sound for a Class 37 (WH) with the intention of having a Class 37 that belonged to Dad but that he could bring to exhibitions to run on the layout (its a change to him wanting to run steam specials whenever our backs are turned).  Was pondering what livery to select as we already had x2 EWS, a Transrail and a Triple grey trainload sector, we had a model of 37427 Bont Y Bermo as the donor model. Now I remember that EWS finished with Class 37 haulage in 2004, but in May 2005 37425 was put to work in the Duchy working China Clay and Petroleum trains before going back to Rhymney Valley passenger trains.  So 37425 was selected in its BR/EWS Heritage livery, we would chose not to name the loco as it received its Pride of the Valleys nameplate on 28th November 2005. Also the pictures on the internet of the loco in service in Cornwall show the weathering on the grey roof, and silver Class 60 type buffers. Now I do like a challenge.

post-8832-0-43786800-1424385927.jpg

37425 arrives with slurry tanks, note the silver buffers which have been polished up by St Blazey staff pleased to see a Class 37 again

post-8832-0-42918100-1424385986.jpg

37425 runs around its train

post-8832-0-36929500-1424386042.jpg

37425 prepares to depart to Fowey Docks with a train of CDA's

Ready to go back to Dad

Regards

Nigel

• Like 18

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nigel,

Just bee catching up on your thread. 37425 really looks the part, I bet it sounds pretty good too.

Quick question, who make the cement discharge kit.

Cheers Peter.

H Pete

Sorry for the delay, must have missed your post.  The cement discharger is scratchbuilt apart from the caged ladder which is a plastruct product.  The previous ladder looked better and was finer, but the cement discharger is removed when the layout is transported, so I needed something more robust.

post-8832-0-14055700-1426632169_thumb.jpg

Glad you liked 37425

post-8832-0-07348100-1426632336_thumb.jpg

Think I need to add a dark grey circle to the buffers, think the all polished look is maybe not correct?

Regards  Nigel

• Like 12

No worries Nigel,

Thanks for the info, I did wonder if it was scratchbuilt as I don't remember seeing one like it before. I thought I might suit a future project but I might go with an oil terminal instead.

Maybe some black/brown  in the middle of the buffer to represent the grease that comes out of the middle of the buffer.

Cheers Peter.