RMweb

What have you done with your Keyser kit

Out of interest ... what is this loco - not a Dean Goods I think with the wavey footplate.

As Ivan has said its the K's version/interpretation of the Armstrong goods, thought it was the 63xx that was on for a similar price (should have looked more closely) . They are quite good kits, but have limitations as were designed in the late 70's. Can be bought at a reasonable cost, good built ones with Romford wheels and decent motors are sometimes a steal, But need quite a lot of work if a high level of detail is required  

As Ivan has said its the K's version/interpretation of the Armstrong goods, thought it was the 63xx that was on for a similar price (should have looked more closely) . They are quite good kits, but have limitations as were designed in the late 70's. Can be bought at a reasonable cost, good built ones with Romford wheels and decent motors are sometimes a steal, But need quite a lot of work if a high level of detail is required  

Presumably that would be one of these? Quite a handsome fellow really.

post-25312-0-36500700-1534352225.jpg

Edited by Lecorbusier
  • Like 5

I bought a Keyser GWR 14xx 80's series kit built loco off eBay for £13.34 inc postage as I plan to do a quickie EM gauge conversion. The 80's series has the drivers with plastic inserts and axles with D shaped ends, these tend to get damaged and loose their quartering, they also have the awful HMP motors which are weak and burn out easily, the reason for using the 80's rather than the earlier 70's series is that the 80's has a better chassis with axle holes drilled out where as the 70's series has keyhole shaped holes stamped out which tends to deform the chassis

The loco arrived and is as advertised a non runner, but very well built, it needs a couple of minor improvements, a new bunker sub floor, rear cab grills and steam pipes

As for the conversion, the idea being I would add 40 tho black plasticard sides to the chassis (one at a time and drilling the axle holes out). then using a set of Romford wheels and either a DS10 or a D13 motor

Plan B is that I have a milled brass chassis from Bristol motors which will after slight modification to the body will fit and the motor changed to a MRRC 5 pole 

Plan A failed

post-1131-0-07299800-1534502301.jpeg

As can be seen, whilst having the latter style of wheels and motor, the loco has the earlier style of chassis and has too many screws on the sides which are proud of the surface. I guess I could put spacers to widen the chassis but this just complicates matters

post-1131-0-69226700-1534502306.jpeg

Plan B is to use a Bristol models milled brass chassis, but the width of the MRRC motor is too wide for the boiler

Plan C/1 could be just to fit a set of 00 gauge Romford wheels and find an appropriate motor from the spares box, could even use an older small Keyser Mk2 motor, or revert back to plan A using spacers and continue on with the EM gauge conversion 

Plan A failed

attachicon.gif286.jpeg

As can be seen, whilst having the latter style of wheels and motor, the loco has the earlier style of chassis and has too many screws on the sides which are proud of the surface. I guess I could put spacers to widen the chassis but this just complicates matters

attachicon.gif287.jpeg

Plan B is to use a Bristol models milled brass chassis, but the width of the MRRC motor is too wide for the boiler

Plan C/1 could be just to fit a set of 00 gauge Romford wheels and find an appropriate motor from the spares box, could even use an older small Keyser Mk2 motor, or revert back to plan A using spacers and continue on with the EM gauge conversion 

Or you could buy a High Level chassis.  Highly recommended; just a satisfied customer.

post-13283-0-36034800-1534509751_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Or you could buy a High Level chassis.  Highly recommended; just a satisfied customer.

attachicon.gifIMG_1617.jpg

Far too posh and I would guess would struggle to fit as designed for a plastic body, plus the K's front footplate is several mm short. I do have a spare Comet chassis which is built and running in 00 gauge, again would need altering to fit. Fails to fit the easy, quick and cheap criteria. But thanks for the heads up

Edit

I do have High Level 57xx and Pug chassis built to P4 gauge, which came cheaply from eBay. Both stunning bits of kit

Edited by hayfield

Plan A failed

attachicon.gif286.jpeg

attachicon.gif287.jpeg

When I used to build these, many moons ago, I too found the screws were proud of the chassis but just reasonably tightened them to make sure the chassis was true then soldered the screws and spacers to the frames. Afterwards the screw heads were filed flush with the sides.

Garry

When I used to build these, many moons ago, I too found the screws were proud of the chassis but just reasonably tightened them to make sure the chassis was true then soldered the screws and spacers to the frames. Afterwards the screw heads were filed flush with the sides.

Garry

BUT surely those screw heads added a bit of releief to those gert slabs of brass Edited by Graham456

BUT surely those screw heads added a bit of releief to those gert slabs of brass

But that's part of the charm of kits of this age, the super detailed chassis of that time were difficult to build, as etched kits were in their infancancy

Firstly with Keyser kits, they were both cheap and complete except for glue and paint, half the price of a Wills kit once all the components had been bought. The first and 70's series with pre-quartered wheel sets had chassis which were relatively easy to build, it was not until the 80's series came out with plastic spoked wheels and the HPM motor that issues started to creep in 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Keyser 14xx for a quick rebuild, idea being was to buy a kit with the 80's series plastic spoked wheels, HPM motor and drilled frames Found a nicely built kit for £13.34 inc postage, but on inspection the frames were the older pressed style. So the idea of a quickie conversion with plasticard glued to the sides went out of the window (4 frame spacers to counter sink + enlarged brass wheel bearings

post-1131-0-73263800-1535619258.jpeg

Plan B quickly followed in using a Bristol Models EM gauge machined brass chassis I had lying around. This sadly failed the chassis fitted the loco but the MW 005 5 pole motor was too wide at the front end.

post-1131-0-58211800-1535619265.jpeg

The project stalled a bit until I decided to just space out the frame spacers with washers, went into the spares box and low and behold EM gauge frame spacers waiting inside. The main issue is that they are designed for thinner brass sides, so plan C being to fit the bearings from inside and file flush, still a bit wide but as its a 4 coupled loco little side play will be required

As for the motor, I think one of my D11 will be pressed into operation

post-1131-0-73263800-1535619258.jpeg

post-1131-0-58211800-1535619265.jpeg

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

Ks kit from way back when, London and Brighton round ended open goods wagon.

White metal, looks like I have put in a plastic floor to reduce the weight and to get the wheels turning

added fold up brass W irons and bearings.

Not Ks own wheels.

post-6220-0-75136300-1535665770_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-52005500-1535665780_thumb.jpg

Edited by relaxinghobby
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Ks kit from way back when, London and Brighton round ended open goods wagon.

White metal, looks like I have put in a plastic floor to reduce the weight and to get the wheels turning

added fold up brass W irons and bearings.

Not Ks own wheels.

attachicon.gifP1010055.JPG

attachicon.gifP1010053.JPG

You didn't put the plastic floor in to reduce weight - K's didn't supply a cast one !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

This looks like the K's kit W10 - SR (ex SECR) Tarpaulin Wagon.  It didn't come with the wire for the rail either!

£1.73 in 1979, the last year it was produced by K's in cast metal.

Frank

Edited by D51

That's a new one on me.

Are you sure they aren't Nu Cast rather than K's?

Jason

Jason

Nucast took over the K's loco kits, some received new chassis but were not supplied with wheels motor or gears. Don't think either the wagons or coach kits went to Nucast, but could be wrong

I don't remember them being reissued after the merger/takeover. Nu Cast definitely had a range of pre grouping wagons in whitemetal which included LBSC wagons. I think they might have came from Sutherland Models originally.

Here's a MR wagon.

https://picclick.co.uk/NuCast-MR-LMS-BR-5-plank-10-12T-wagon-kit-NC505-white-202197359242.html

This looks like the K's kit W10 - SR (ex SECR) Tarpaulin Wagon.  It didn't come with the wire for the rail either!

£1.73 in 1979, the last year it was produced by K's in cast metal.

Frank

The plot thickens. I'm certainly not disputing this, but I'm pretty sure that it's a LBSCR wagon as I don't think that the SECR had round ended wagons. I can't remember any being in the SECR wagon book.

I reckon it's one of these.

http://cambrianmodels.co.uk/lbseswkits.html

Jason

• RMweb Premium

I don't remember them being reissued after the merger/takeover. Nu Cast definitely had a range of pre grouping wagons in whitemetal which included LBSC wagons. I think they might have came from Sutherland Models originally.

Here's a MR wagon.

https://picclick.co.uk/NuCast-MR-LMS-BR-5-plank-10-12T-wagon-kit-NC505-white-202197359242.html

The plot thickens. I'm certainly not disputing this, but I'm pretty sure that it's a LBSCR wagon as I don't think that the SECR had round ended wagons. I can't remember any being in the SECR wagon book.

Jason

... but the SER used round-ended wagons aplenty. Sr Diagram 1327. The end framing was rather different, though.

Edited by Compound2632

Here's a MR wagon.

Jason

NuCast produced a range of LBSC wagons, open, van, single and twin bolsters, specifically to accompany their C2X loco kit. They eventually passed to ABS, although only the bolster wagons reappeared under their label.

The K's kit has always been a puzzle. It is very clearly an LBSC Open A with early brake gear, yet for some reason they decided to call it an SECR wagon, which it only has a passing resemblance to. It would be interesting to know if this affected sales in any way; at least in SR livery it might not be such a problem.

I came quite close to completing a Ks Adams Radial. The radial truck was part of the body so the model would not run on less than 3' radius curves. I cut off the truck mounting and replaced it with a conventional pony truck made from a tin can. I gave up with the model when I tested it and the motor burnt out. I have still got it somewhere but I am glad Hornby and Oxford Rail produced some ready to run versions.

Here's a MR wagon.

Jason

Keyser's own description states ex SECR in their own catalogue, as for which one k's never went that far with their information 

Keyser's own description states ex SECR in their own catalogue, as for which one k's never went that far with their information 

Thanks, and thanks to everyone else that has replied.

So it was definitely K's then. It's just that I can't ever recall seeing it mentioned anywhere. I've got most of the other wagon kits so it's one to look out for.

Just for fun, if I wanted a proper model then I would buy the Cambrian kit. 

Jason