• RMweb Premium

I've read about Shell Island in your posts before Marc but never ever seen any pictures of it.  ....

I may be able to help there. Shell Island appeared on the early incarnations of RMweb and has rather faded from the scene of late. For the last three years it's been boxed up in retirement in my playroom. Trawling through the RMweb archive I found this helicopter shot of the layout which should go a long way to explain the similarity.

file.php?id=30552

It's not the most flattering of views but it shows the siding arrangement and the hole concealing goods shed which is probably what sparked off Marc's recognition. Here are a couple more snaps which I hope show it in a more realistic light.

shell+island+2.jpg

shell+island+and+port+012.jpg

I only stumbled across your thread on Juniper Hill last night Mark but it's a fabulous little layout which has a totally different ambience to Shell Island even if we have arrived at the same basic track plan by different routes. I think it serves to show that while there may only be a limited number of viable formations that will fit in a small given space, that fact doesn't have to limit creativity or ambition.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Evening Neil,

I may be able to help there. Shell Island appeared on the early incarnations of RMweb and has rather faded from the scene of late. For the last three years it's been boxed up in retirement in my playroom. Trawling through the RMweb archive I found this helicopter shot of the layout which should go a long way to explain the similarity.

file.php?id=30552

It's not the most flattering of views but it shows the siding arrangement and the hole concealing goods shed which is probably what sparked off Marc's recognition. Here are a couple more snaps which I hope show it in a more realistic light.

shell+island+2.jpg

shell+island+and+port+012.jpg

I only stumbled across your thread on Juniper Hill last night Mark but it's a fabulous little layout which has a totally different ambience to Shell Island even if we have arrived at the same basic track plan by different routes. I think it serves to show that while there may only be a limited number of viable formations that will fit in a small given space, that fact doesn't have to limit creativity or ambition.

Blimey! What a truly beautiful layout. I can't believe I never seen Shell Island before.

I can kind of see where Marc is coming from especially with the hut as a view blocker.  Looking at it though you would never believe its the same track plan though.  The scenics are beautiful and gel together nicely.  There's not a lot going on but the atmosphere you've created is brilliant.

Did it always operate in the BR blue phase or did you vary periods etc.  I'm guessing there's a Western theme with the wagons?

In my eyes this layout is too good to be boxed up.  Any chance of dusting it off again and putting a thread up on here and nay be doing an exbo or three?

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the kind words Mark, but Shell Island has had its time in the sun. I won't say never ever, but I'm happy that it's boxed up safe and sound. Maybe I'll exhume it from its time capsule in twenty years or so, but at the moment the stock gets to stretch its legs on Morfa, Shell Islands big brother. For the sake of completeness I'll say that Shell Island was always set in the post steam/pre tops era (an improbable branch off the Cambrian Coast line), though on occasions it served as a photographic backdrop for all sorts of weirdness, even narrow gauge at one stage. However I've drifted off topic topic enough, time for Juniper Hill to take centre stage again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Neil.

Thanks for the kind words Mark, but Shell Island has had its time in the sun. I won't say never ever, but I'm happy that it's boxed up safe and sound. Maybe I'll exhume it from its time capsule in twenty years or so, but at the moment the stock gets to stretch its legs on Morfa, Shell Islands big brother. For the sake of completeness I'll say that Shell Island was always set in the post steam/pre tops era (an improbable branch off the Cambrian Coast line), though on occasions it served as a photographic backdrop for all sorts of weirdness, even narrow gauge at one stage. However I've drifted off topic topic enough, time for Juniper Hill to take centre stage again.

Think I might have to send Indiana Jones around to exhume Shell Island one day then! ;)

It's kind of interesting what you say about Shell Island.  Again its one of those layouts that could also be generic and run in different time periods. Like the sound of the narrow gauge photos too. 

I'm glad you high jacked this thread and Marc introduced me to Shell Island-its a beautiful layout. 

Cheers,

Mark

Can't believe I missed Morfa either. Kind of has echoes of Shell Island-an evolutuion I guess and looks wonderfully modelled too. 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday the replacement buffer beam etch for 'Cranford' arrived from the excellent RT Models to repair the damage sustained at Rushden.

Coat of white primer and I then brush painted the buffer beam with Vallejo crimson. Then when all was dry I Super glued it on and fixed the buffers and coupling hook too.  A wash of mucky diluted acrylics followed, then the detail was picked out by dry brushing on dark rust.

post-7584-0-04341500-1368639998_thumb.jpg

Whilst in the process of doing this I tweaked the weathering slightly-dry brushing a mixture of  Vallejo 'German Grey' and dark rust in appropriate places. Them I used a lighter grey to pick out detail followed by a light dry brush of Games Workshop 'Bolt Gun Metal' to add a sheen to the top of the saddle tank and the roof.

post-7584-0-17245200-1368640022_thumb.jpg

I'll post some images of her at work again on JH tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

I'm rather proud of the fact that Neil debutted Shell Island at Microdiesel in Kettering way back in 2004 (proud because I was expo manager!!). I was also aware of a similarity between the two, other than the fact they're both smashing little layouts, in terms of the track layout and the use of a goods shed as view blocker.

Not sure if you're aware or can make it but there's a small exhibition near Market Harborough on the 8/6/13 being organised by a few of the members on here. 

If anybody is interested in the above get-together then have a squint in the exhibitions bit under WrecRail for full details

Disgusting of Market Harborough

PS Mark,  a Class 14 has to be a must on JH........

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

PS Mark,  a Class 14 has to be a must on JH........

Gets my vote too.

I think that's the most sensible thing I've ever heard you say (write?) ;)

Thanks chaps ;)

No pressure whatsoever then? :D

Being a skinflint I was waiting for Hattons to reduce the BSC version from £89 but may have to give in. I've got the light fittings from the excellent RT Models already though.

Watch this space!

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 2

I've only just found this nice little layout. As others have said, it does capture the atmosphere of an ironstone line. Not that I am old enough to have seen any working but I've seen enough colour photos and Ivo Peters film.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've only just found this nice little layout. As others have said, it does capture the atmosphere of an ironstone line. Not that I am old enough to have seen any working but I've seen enough colour photos and Ivo Peters film.

To quote a bit of modified Shakespeare 'Something blue this way comes!' ;D *

Thanks Dave for your kind words.  I'd love a few more industrial steam locos. Cranford, Storefield, Desborough and even the Corby systems had some interesting locos running in the 1960's.  I've some books with beautiful colour or black and white shots full of atmosphere.

At the momment the Class 14 is an option following on from the above banter but it would be lovely to see an Hudswell Clark like the Ixion O Gauge one in OO scale.  I think Nassington used  one of these.  I will probably get one of the proposed Hornby Sentinel locos too for a bit of variety.

Like you say JH kind of captures the feel of the ironstone lines.  People are probably expecting massive Ruston Bucyrus drag lines but away from the quarry face the lines past some very picturesque Northamptonshire countryside.

Cheers,

Mark

* I believe JC is meeting a fellow photographer tomorow!

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

Nice work again Mark.

So the big question now....when are you going to move to 3 links?... ;)

It is being put before the board for consideration! :D

Yes, I am thinking about couplings Pete.   I'm looking for something that is reliable and not temperamental though.  Although tension looks look awful they do work reliably.  When I was building JH I did expeiment with some magnets under the sleepers and some staples soldered to the bottom of the tension lock hook. It wasn't successful but I believe Pete at PH Designs does a more reliable method of this system.

Three links look good and I may experiment with a few pairs.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 2

Lovely stuff mark.

One day I want to do something similar in7mm.

As marc smith said experimenting with materials/paints/scenics is all part of the fun..

I must say im inspired.

Jack.

Hi Mark & Jack,

Yes, this was basically what I did with my O gauge "poynton sneer"

It was an experiment, and attempt to use up 2 second-hand points,

I wanted to build something really small

a sort of end-of-the-yard look. A bit like JH....

It is do-able in 7mm too

You just have to use short radius points....

Or no points at all......

The funny thing is, when you've got heaps of wagons going past

you don't take so much notice of any fine details

but when you've only got 1 loco and 2 or 3 wagons on a layout

you take a closer look, and actually "observe" the whole scene

taking in the detail more.....

I suppose it's a bit like watching the real thing?

When next to a busy main line, you're busy taking pics or notes

But if you're in a shunting yard, you take time to stop and watch comings & goings..... maybe?

Cheers all

• Like 2

Thanks Jack.

Your layout you're building at present St Clemens demonstrates a lot of skils and you appear to have a good eye for detail and colour. Be nice to see it progress as well.

As for the 7mm stuff thats my plan too after the Teign Valley project I'm working on at the momment. The advent of the Ixion Hudswell Clark and the forth coming Dapol 7mm Terrier/Class 08 opens a lot of doors. I forgot the Kernow Beattie Well Tank in that list too. I'm sure there's a Cornish theme in there somewhere.

Try building one of the PECO 7mm scale wagon kits. Everything you need is in the box and they go together really well.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks mark glad your enjoying st.clemens' progress.

I built a parkside 7mm ex-LNER 21ton hopper and at first it was alot of head scratching and getting to grips with the terminology. But complete and weathered its satisfying.

KMRC have some great stuff lined up and as you said the potential is better than ever.

-JH is amazing work and gives me a feel of a hot summers evening in some photos. And the tardis effect, keep forgetting JH is the size it is!

Jack.

• Like 1

Marc I totally agree. We all like to see trains with a lengthy nature fly past at a scale speed of 70.

But in reality its a small shunting layout or even diorama/boxfile that has potential to hold details that people don't necessarily see the first time they look. The possibilities are endless and unique which draws people in.

Cheers

Jack

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

David (South-Tyne) has asked for a photograph of the fiddle yard-well siding so whilst taking some shots this morning I took one of the layout minus the fascia-so a warts and all 'Duck' tape view of JH.

Sorry to ruin the illusion David. I should have used to tripod too.

post-7584-0-22725000-1368705948_thumb.jpg

The shot also shows off the lighting arrangement as well-this being a fish tank light attached to a piece of 2 x 1 timber.

Hope that's of some help David?

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

'Something blue this way comes........'

In a post last night Ruston mentioned a renowned railway photographer famed for his works on the S & D also shot a lot of photos around the Northamptonshire ironstone lines.  As it happens he's a good friend of JC.  Unlike JC he does try to get shots in at different view points but even JC today has been encouraged to move from his usual spot

Obviously the reference to the 'blue' above is to do with the arrival of a certain Bentley.

Thankfully, this morning sees the return of 'Cranford' back to service follows repairs on her front buffer beam. Here she is having shunted two 27t tippler wagons up from the quarry. As we can see JC has moved though his colleague is no where to be seen.

post-7584-0-17488400-1368706796_thumb.jpg

Here 'Cranford' is about to take on water before heading back to the exchange sidings

post-7584-0-98544800-1368706814_thumb.jpg

Leaving for the exchange sidings

post-7584-0-92658800-1368706830_thumb.jpg

The iron ore tippler wagons are the Bachmann versions resprayed finished with Fox/CCT decals.

Finally, this morning 'Twywell' brings an old S&L wagon up from the exchange sidings.

post-7584-0-27457900-1368707087_thumb.jpg

For those who are interested JC's friend's blue Bentley is a recent release from Oxford Diecast, I picked this one up yesterday in Northampton.  I've put a dark grey wash over the radiator grill, made up some wing mirrors from track pins painted silver (Working from photos of the real thing) and given it a coat of Vallejo mat vanish-followed by a coat of Johnsons Klear applied through an airbrush. A really lovely model of this famous Bentley

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I've really been enjoying this topic, an excellent small layout combined with the added bonus of extra "Shell Island". The concept of representing just a small chunk of an ironstone line in this way is inspired.  The quarry faces were certainly on a grand scale and would demand a lot of space.

My only suggestion for improvement would be to disguise the corners of the backscene with a curve or fillet of some sort.

I have however, a complaint. I ended up on ebay last night, buying a second hand Farish Class 14 for my 2mm NCB diorama "British Oak". :-(  Sigh!

3 link couplings would improve the visual aspect but possibly a less obtrusive autocoupler might be better operationally.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mark,

I've really been enjoying this topic, an excellent small layout combined with the added bonus of extra "Shell Island". The concept of representing just a small chunk of an ironstone line in this way is inspired.  The quarry faces were certainly on a grand scale and would demand a lot of space.

My only suggestion for improvement would be to disguise the corners of the backscene with a curve or fillet of some sort.

I have however, a complaint. I ended up on ebay last night, buying a second hand Farish Class 14 for my 2mm NCB diorama "British Oak". :-(  Sigh!

3 link couplings would improve the visual aspect but possibly a less obtrusive autocoupler might be better operationally.

Some good points raised there.  By any chance are you in cahoots with BCN Pete? :D

He has suggested the same things need looking at.  The corners most definately and is on the cards as we speak so hopefully soon this will be addressed. With the photos I wish I could Photoshop the line in the sky out but I need to learn how to blur things so to speak.

The couplings is another matter. I like automatic uncouplers, but 3 links do look good.  I'm going to experiment with a few pairs see how I get on.

Don't blame me for buying a Class 14 (Good choice). You've been listening to those three on the previous page!!!! :D

Yes, I guess I will eventually get one too!

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 2

Hi again,

Another nice set of photos
Isn't it amazing how many views you can get, given the small size of the layout :)
Thanks for posting them

And special thanks to Neil, for posting those pics of Shell Island
It looks as lovely as ever
I can't believe I still haven't seen it in the flesh :O

Mark, I'm sure you didn't knowingly copy Neil's design...
I've unwittingly sketched many similar possible layouts,
and then realised it was basically very similar.....
It's the setting that makes the whole concept look different,
and give the layout a unique feel....

JH creates its' own atmosphere
and that's something you can't simply "copy"
Creating the all-ellusive "atmosphere" is something that many never quite achieve,
or at least don't capture quite as much as intended.....

2mm Mark - nothing wrong with 14's either...
I have resisted the urge - so far
but I'm sure a 4mm example will stray onto Cashmores at some point ;)
Not for scrapping, you understand - but to bring in some worn out 16 tonners.....

Cheers again

PS. Neil - please Dust of SI at some point....
Or if you ever want it out of your way..... lol!

EDIT: Mark, re the corners of your backscene
A carefully placed tree, or even a chimney could work well
Maybe a chimney in the right hand corner,
and even a tree overhanging the hole in the backscene on the left?

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 1

Hi Mark,

Have been enjoying your great modelling and the photos but I must agree with others and say do try and get rid of those corners in the sky. It would make such a difference.

It is also great to see Shell Island again. It was in Railway Modeller (?) many years ago and was one of those inspirational layouts to someone like me who models small layouts.

Keep posting photos.

Rob

• Like 1

David (South-Tyne) has asked for a photograph of the fiddle yard-well siding so whilst taking some shots this morning I took one of the layout minus the fascia-so a warts and all 'Duck' tape view of JH.

Sorry to ruin the illusion David. I should have used to tripod too.

015jhrmweb160513.jpg

The shot also shows off the lighting arrangement as well-this being a fish tank light attached to a piece of 2 x 1 timber.

Hope that's of some help David?

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

thanks very much for that, it is really useful! It is still difficult to believe that the layout is so small, a testement to your modelling skills and your excellent photography! I am really enjoying soaking up the atmosphere in the photographs.

I have started a topic in the 'micro layout' section of the forum, more my ponderings really than anythimg.concrete at the moment.

Re the Market Harborough exhibition - I will hopefully get along to that, it is straight up the A14 from where I am temporarily working so it could be possible. I'd love to see JH in the flesh!

Thanks once again for your advice,

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marc,

Thanks once again for those kind words.

Like you I've never seen Shell Island before-it really is something very special as a layout and deserves to be exhumed.  I wonder if Dave can talk him in to exhibiting it again one day?  I'm glad I never came up with an idea for a line of the Cambrain coast-that would have been very bizarre!!!! :O  Like you say-you can have the same track plan and interpret the setting completely differently.

2mm Mark - nothing wrong with 14's either...
I have resisted the urge - so far
but I'm sure a 4mm example will stray onto Cashmores at some point ;)
Not for scrapping, you understand - but to bring in some worn out 16 tonners.....

There seems to be a lot of urges on here for Class 14's!  I can see a 'Teddy Bear' going well on Cashmores. ;)

Perhaps I need an urge! :D

Thanks once again.

Mark

Edited by 46444