• RMweb Gold

Bit of an update later but when I took some photos this afternoon for the Lima brake van thought I'd take a few extras as well and show a bit of progress on JH.

As a taster here's a special Ivatt 2MT-can't imagine why?

post-7584-0-63030200-1367333334_thumb.jpg

And the photo from my blog of the brake vans adjusted to black and white.

post-7584-0-09626000-1367333403_thumb.jpg

More later.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

As promised a bit of an update on JH.  Since the show I've repaired the fencing and added a few bushes.  These are homemade affairs using once again hanging basket liner sprayed with a mixture of grey and brown. A liberal spray of the trusty Co-op extra hold hairspray followed once dry then a mixture of Noch leaves were shaken on.  More hairspray to fix.  I haven't fixed the bushes down yet-but they add a bit of relief to the layout and once I'm happy with the positioning I'll glue them down.

post-7584-0-12865300-1367349200_thumb.jpg

This is a comparison shot with bushes taken at the same angle as a previous shot of the hut.

post-7584-0-53882500-1367349242_thumb.jpg

Overall I'm pleased with them.

I'm awating a delivery of 4mm static grass fibres in a few shades to add a bit more depth to the grass so I'll post an update once this is done.

I'm planning on adding a non working light near the water tank and a few other details.  One thing I am contemplating is changing the roof on the Wills goodshed.  I think asbestos or more than likely corrugated iron would be more prototypical then tiles.

Also I want to add a smaller scratch built structure behind the hut in the corner and there's a space between the hut and the water tank I'm not sure what to do about either.

More updates soon.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Good morning.

As I said in my previous entry I've a few detailing jobs on JH to complete.  This includes some signage. Here's a couple of signs I made up from the Ratio cattle dock kit I had going spare.

post-7584-0-33507300-1367484400_thumb.jpg

Painted, dry brushed and weathered with the usual source of acrylic paints.

Also I'd mentioned about the goods shed roof being replaced with a corrugated iron affair as opposed to a neatly slated number. Again Wills sheets cut to size and barge boards made from scrap plastic strip. The ridge is made up from a piece of aluminium tubing with pieces of fine Tamiya tape placed in situ along the tube to represent the concrete sections.

I'll give the roof a spray with Halfords plastic primer this morn.

post-7584-0-84883600-1367484424_thumb.jpg

Eagle eyed readers will also not I scratch build a lamp above the loading door from parts off the cattle dock sprue and I've decided to board up the windows. These boards will be sprayed and painted too.

post-7584-0-04172700-1367484441_thumb.jpg

Update soon.  Need to work out how to scatch build the yard light and carry on with the scenics.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning,

Finished modifying the Wills goods shed.  I've painted the roof using Vallejo acrylics following a blast of Halfords primer.  Windows boarded up too now. Here's a shot on the workbench.  Terry and Marbles stand on the loading step still-think Marbles must want feeding! ;)

post-7584-0-50498500-1367576527_thumb.jpg

Here's the shed back insitu. Just need the GPO to come along and reconnect the telephone line.  I do think the corrugated tin roof is more appropriate for this setting along with the boarded up windows that reflect the run down state of the quarry systems.

post-7584-0-44818500-1367576537_thumb.jpg

Finally, going back to the ironstone theme of the layout Cranford is seen shunting a few wagons about. Looks as if there's been some rough shunting somewhere along the way by the state of the front buffer beam.  I'm just waiting for Robert from RT Models to send me some of his excellent J94 bufferbeams to replace the front one damaged at the Rushden show.

post-7584-0-56609100-1367576549_thumb.jpg

post-7584-0-10748200-1367576570_thumb.jpg

More soon.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 15

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This morning I did a bit of scenic work on Juniper Hill (JH).  I decided to have a break from detailing the GWR Pannier for my next layout based in the Teign Valley in the mid-1940's.

Recently I received two packs of miniNatur 4.5mm grass fibres from International Models in spring/autumn shades to add some depth to the static grass on JH.  I fired up the trusty static grass tool and masked off areas I didn't want longer grass on.  I'm really pleased with the result. The photos below give an indication to the effectiveness of the longer grass.

post-7584-0-91582000-1368381286_thumb.jpg

After I'd finished the static grass I made some hedges/shrubs up with left over hanging basket liner teased out, sprayed with Co-op hairspay then given several coatings of Noch leaves in a variety of shades.  I'm pleased with how these turned out,  Here's 'Cranford' simmering by the water tank showing off the bushes nicely. 

post-7584-0-34814500-1368381297_thumb.jpg

And it looks as if photographer Jonty Chambers is back in his favourite postion.

post-7584-0-20573300-1368381306_thumb.jpg

Finally, I've made a start on the lamp post and ladder to place near the water tank and have added the lead flashing to the top of the poles by using off cuts of sheet brass. These will receive a coat of primer and then be weathered.

post-7584-0-15910700-1368381318_thumb.jpg

There are a few more jobs to be done-one includes sorting out the corners of the back scene. Really I should curve these to get rid of that awful shadow.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Mark and I also like the MiniNatur products although not easily found.The ones you used are too big to be used in a puffer bottle so a static grass tool is needed.Never used Carrs leaves but they look the job.

What sort of camera does Jonty use ? :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Robin,

I'm impressed with the miniNatur grass fibres too. The intial coverage on the hanging basket liner was with a mix of Jarvis 2mm fibres. The 4.5mm fibres do add that depth and the colours are well muted blending with the exisiting colours nicely.

What sort of camera does Jonty use ? :jester:

Well according to a good source Jonty uses a Thornton-Pickard Reflex camera exposing glass plate negatives :D  *

Cheers,

Mark

* As used by Norman Lockett

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Great progress Mark

The work with the grass is very effective and some nice new detailing of elements is really enriching the layout.

Perhaps JC should be on a metal pin to allow him to vary his focal positions...:D

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Pete for those kind comments.  Yes, I'm pleased with how things have come together.  Thought I best get on with things so as to start on the next project.

Perhaps JC should be on a metal pin to allow him to vary his focal positions... :D

Well he is actually but tends to migrate to the same area all the time. ;)

Saying that I think there's a 4mm scale survey nail in the road where he stands! :O

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Alex for those kind words.  I think changing the roof to corrugated iron adds to the industrial theme and the Wills sheeting although a swine to cut works well.

......... how did you do the fence?

The fencing was made from matchsticks.  I'm not sure if I gave the fence posts a coat of grey primer first or just painted them with Vallejo sky grey. I then gave them a weak wash of Vallejo umber wash.

Next I measured two points on each fence post and drilled holes ready to accept some fine elastic I'd found. The elastic looked like one stand but then unravelled into a finer gauge which I used.  I drilled holes-I think every scale 8ft then pushed the posts into the baseboard. They're not glued.  I then threaded the elastic through and Super glued the elastic to the post once all was taught.  The fence can be removed as one and has been repaired a number of times-especially after the Rushden exbo.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

Guest oldlugger

Juniper Hill is really looking nice now Mark; the vegetation in particular is very effective.

All the best

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just found this layout, fantastic stuff, love the goods shed and the grass. 

Edit, just noticed the only 'Also Tagged' thread at the bottom of the page is mine!

Edited by Worsdell forever
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul

Edit, just noticed the only 'Also Tagged' thread at the bottom of the page is mine!

Wondered when you'd notice :D

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

.......the vegetation in particular is very effective.

Thanks Simon.  This little 3ft x 7 inch board has taught me so much.  I should have done it years ago.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I just want to say that I think your layout is superb! The atmosphere you manage to convey in such a small space is incredible. Top class modelling. It really has inspired me, I have not done any modelling for a while after a difficult time of it lately but this little snapshot has almost single-handledly convinced me to try again.

Thank you for sharing!

Hi Mark,

I've only just found JH, and I'm so glad I did :)
It's very nice indeed. Plenty of atmosphere, lovely detail
and beautifully understated....

A real winner for me....
Thanks for sharing

Marc

EDIT: And the post above mine does show what value can be had from attempting a micro
If you don't have space, or time, or resources..... have a go at something like this!

If it still doesn't quite turn out right - well, you haven't lost much,
but you may have learned a lot.....

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This morning 'Cranford' was rested and Sentinel 'Twywell' was in charge of the proceedings on JH. 

Unlike 'JC' who appears to be glued to the spot our intrepid photographer tried a few shots from the other side of line.  Here 'Twywell' has colected a gunpowder van from the exchange siding and shunts it into the goods shed siding.  Terry the site foreman hastily puts his fag out and Marbles the champion rat catcher is no where to be seen!

post-7584-0-04950400-1368474580_thumb.jpg

The gunpowder van is the excellent Parkside GWR Diagram Z2 kit which is a beautiful kit to build.  I'll be doing one of these in GWR colours for my next project.  The kit is painted with Tamiya and Vallejo acrylics. For those who missed my blog entry 'Cranford' is the excellent Model Rail/Dapol product finished with the above products and fits the bil for JH with good slow speed control. She received a pair of custom Narrow Planet nameplates.  Well worth trying out and Steve provides an excellent service. Here's the link:

http://narrowplanet.co.uk/

Later on in the day 'Twywell' is seen simmering by the water tank as the crew have a brew up in the hut,

The United Counties Bedford OWB calls on an Oundle-Kettering service.

post-7584-0-60282600-1368475436_thumb.jpg

The light/lamp post and the telegraph pole were both weathered this morning too. The GPO reconnected the goods shed as well thankfully.

Cheers,

Mark

Forgot to add JC has returned to the same spot for his shot of 'Twywell'

Edited by 46444
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Very nice shots Mark.

Nicely cropped too so they really give good atmosphere :good:

I presume JC is taking a few pics and is not relieving himself after too many lunchtime beers?...:D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I presume JC is taking a few pics and is not relieving himself after too many lunchtime beers?... :D

He may be-but he does have an enlarged prostate ;)

• Like 1