• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob.

Have been enjoying your great modelling and the photos but I must agree with others and say do try and get rid of those corners in the sky. It would make such a difference.

Kind words indeed as I like your modelling too.  I've got my eyes on one of your 74xx's! :D 

Joking aside I've a plan to get a Lionheart 74xx and build something small based around the Teign Valley Line in South Devon once I've finished this and my next project.

Totally agree with you about the corners as well.  Will get on and sort them out.  Hopefully it will be a case of getting some more mounting board and spraying the back scene-followed by curving in around on the corners.  I could in theory take the back scene further back at the rear to add more depth and the same at the front.  In doing so I could look at improving the lighting at the front of the layout too. 

They say a layout is never finished ;) In this case I think JH belays the fact it started off as a photo plank/home shunting layout that has morphed into an exhibition layout.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

Thanks once again, Glad to help.

I have started a topic in the 'micro layout' section of the forum, more my ponderings really than anythimg.concrete at the moment.

That sounds like a good idea. I'll look in on it ;)

Re the Market Harborough exhibition - I will hopefully get along to that, it is straight up the A14 from where I am temporarily working so it could be possible. I'd love to see JH in the flesh!

That will be good as well.  As you say Harborough is quite easy to get too from the A14. Take the A6 Rothwell/Desborough turning. Think it should be an excellent expo. JH won't be there though but Marc will be with one of his layouts.  The way he's going it might even be Shell Island!

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Evening,

Last photographs of the week as I'm away tomorrow for a few days.

One of the prototype lines that influenced JH was the Thomas E Gray Quarry at Burton Latimer.  This wasn't an iron ore quarry in the strictest sense-apparently quarrying siliceous clay, this being blended with sand and other materials to make silacene, used for lining ladles and furnaces.

This line was the home to 'Isebrook' the now preserved Sentinel locomotive at Quainton Road. For those who aren't aware the Isebrook is a tributary to the River Nene and runs from around Rothwell flowing in to the Nene at Wellingborough.

The line had some interesting wagons that where unpainted carrying numbers on both ends, also being replicated twice on the side. The system worked up to 1982 I believe. Isebrook was replaced by a later Sentinel design before being preserved.

Here's a little homage to that system.

post-7584-0-73992600-1368727621_thumb.jpg

I see JC's friend has been there as well!

post-7584-0-51509500-1368727717_thumb.jpg

Finally 'Twywell' takes a rest in between duties.

post-7584-0-61310600-1368727851_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the encouragement, advice and comments. Really appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 15

A lad from where I used to come from, one 'Tubby' Ison, use to work down at Isebrook years ago. Haven't seen him for ages and he probably wouldn't remember much about things down there as he wasn't there too long.....

South Tyne- have a look under the WrecRail thread in the exhibitions section. It'll tell you whats there and (eventually) directions to the venue. Should it be successful and we repeat it next year, we have JH pencilled in already.....

Disgusting of Market Harborough

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now who could that be with a Bentley like that? 

Hmmmm! I wonder? :D

Yes. I was totally suprised to find he'd actually been around the Northamptonshire quarries until I read a few industrial railway books. As ever he had a knack for capturing every day scenes beautifully.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Only just discovered this little gem! You've created some great atmosphere in such a small space.

Thanks Alan for those kind words. I've enjoyed getting JH to this stage, however I need to make a few changes to the back scene in the sense of adding the curves in the corners etc.  I'm going to have a look at this in the next few weeks.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Alan for those kind words. I've enjoyed getting JH to this stage, however I need to make a few changes to the back scene in the sense of adding the curves in the corners etc.  I'm going to have a look at this in the next few weeks.

Cheers,

Mark

I'm looking forward to seeing your approach here Mark....

I was thinking again about the possibilty of using a chimney,

and it suddenly struck me that such a feature might "dominate" the scene a bit....

However, if it wasn't too tall, or too broad a base, it might still work?

Also, if it were in a long-disused and faded condition,

it might also "sit back" in the scene, so to speak

It's worth experimenting, before tearing up any scenery....

Re: chimneys - I have just come accross a tall example from Kibri

It's a bit wide at the base, but quite tall - maybe one of these cut-down?

I have even used some Metcalfe brick paper, as a low-relief square-section chimney in the past

Faded with a light brushing of grey, it worked pretty well, and didn't dominate the corner it sat in....

Something like this.....

EDIT: Sat behind some greenery / overgrowth, of course

post-2973-0-56571700-1369130396_thumb.jpg

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 6

Hi Mark

Not having been on here much recently, I have somehow missed this absolute gem of a layout.

I've been researching East Midlands ironstone workings for some time (inspired by some great articles and photographs in "Railway Bylines") with a view to possibly creating another minimum space 7mm layout. Juniper Hill is a great inspiration for this sort of layout and it really exudes atmosphere.

The Ixion Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST and DJH's forthcoming class 14 would seem to be ideal motive power for a 7mm layout. It's a shame there isn't a current R-T-R Austerity in 7mm. However, I wonder if I could justify Ixion's 0-4-0ST Manning Wardle or even their forthcoming Fowler 0-4-0 DM!!

Keep up the great work.

Stephen

• Like 1

Stephen

Not sure about the Fowler but I think there may be a case for a Manning Wardle. Have a shufty at the Flickr sites of Rick2E and Jodel Aviator. If my memory serves me correctly there's some Northants Iron ore stuff on both.... Although I can just remember the likes of Storefield (sadly now buried under a new road scheme) Pen Green and Blisworth, I wasn't at an age where I could remember what was what, being only about 6!!.....

• RMweb Gold

Not sure about the Fowler but I think there may be a case for a Manning Wardle. Have a shufty at the Flickr sites of Rick2E and Jodel Aviator. If my memory serves me correctly there's some Northants Iron ore stuff on both.... Although I can just remember the likes of Storefield (sadly now buried under a new road scheme) Pen Green and Blisworth, I wasn't at an age where I could remember what was what, being only about 6!!.....

Dave's right here. I think both of those sites he lists are very useful and cover Northamptonshire ironstone lines. 

Unlike Dave I'm far too young to remember any of these systems in use! :D

Storefield was an interesting system that has certainly influenced JH. I did a search on Flickr and came up with this for Storefield.  Looks as if the Hunsbury Hill Railway in Northampton have one of the Storefield locos:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=storefield%20quarry

Stupidly, I never investigated Storefield and as mentioned above when I did go to have a look I found the Geddington bypass was being built on it! :O

Cranford was a beautiful system too and very picturesque.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marc,

I'm looking forward to seeing your approach here Mark....
I was thinking again about the possibilty of using a chimney,
and it suddenly struck me that such a feature might "dominate" the scene a bit....

However, if it wasn't too tall, or too broad a base, it might still work?
Also, if it were in a long-disused and faded condition,

it might also "sit back" in the scene, so to speak

It's worth experimenting, before tearing up any scenery....

Thanks once again. Luckily as I mentioned earlier the backscene is removable so bar curving in the corners all that may be requires is adding an additional scenic fillet behind the fence/water tank. This I think will add depth too.

One good thing today is I've returned from Oundle with a massive sheet of 120cm long Dalerboard.  That will enable a continuous backscene with curved corners.  Watch this space. 

As for the chimney idea it may be worth considering.  I have seen pictures of redundant chimneys stood derelict in fields around the ironstone area.  One near Cranford on the Kettering-Cambridge line for instance.

I'm going to investigate the backscene tommorow I think.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not having been on here much recently, I have somehow missed this absolute gem of a layout.

I've been researching East Midlands ironstone workings for some time (inspired by some great articles and photographs in "Railway Bylines") with a view to possibly creating another minimum space 7mm layout. Juniper Hill is a great inspiration for this sort of layout and it really exudes atmosphere.

Thanks Stephen for those kind words.

Your current 7mm layout exudes atmosphere a plenty-so much so I should be kept away from the Lionheart stall at Railex this weekend coming! (I quite fancy a 74xx Pannier) 

The idea of the minimum space ironstone layout sounds good and I look forwards to see progress on this. The Ixion Hudswell Clark is a great loco and will fit in well with the scheme of things.

.........Class 14 would seem to be ideal motive powert. ......

Shhhh! Don't mention a Class 14. People start getting excited! :D

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=corby%20br%20class%2014

That should do it nicely! ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

Stephen

Thanks for this and for the links.

I've just found a cracking photo of Manning Wardle 'No. 14' out of use at the recently closed Irchester quarry in 1969 ("Railway Bylines" July 2012 page 359) and it's a dead ringer for the Ixion Manning Wardle. The author states that it arrived at Irchester in 1957 and, after leaving Irchester, started a new life in preservation.

Stephen

• Like 1

Hi Mark

Dave's right here. I think both of those sites he lists are very useful and cover Northamptonshire ironstone lines. 

Unlike Dave I'm too young to remember any of these systems in use! :D

Storefield was an interesting system that has certainly influenced JH. I did a search on Flickr and came up with this for Storefield.  Looks as if the Hunsbury Hill Railway in Northampton have one of the Storefield locos:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=storefield%20quarry

Stupidly, I never investigated Storefield and as mentioned above when I did go to have a look I found the Geddington bypass was being built on it! :O

Cranford was a beautiful system too and very picturesque.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for the info. and the link to those very nice pics of Storefield.

Judging from the photos in Bylines, Cranford looks like a great prototype with a nice balance of ironstone workings and rural Northants.

Thanks Stephen for those kind words.

Your current 7mm layout exudes atmosphere a plenty-so much so I should be kept away from the Lionheart stall at Railex this weekend coming! (I quite fancy a 74xx Pannier) 

The idea of the minimum space ironstone layout sounds good and I look forwards to see progress on this. The Ixion Hudswell Clark is a great loco and will fit in well with the sceme of things.

Shhhh! Don't mention a Class 14. People start getting excited! :D

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=corby%20br%20class%2014

That should do it nicely! ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Sorry, I didn't mean to trample all over your thread with discussion on a 7mm version of Juniper Hill!

....... however, a Class 14 would definitely do nicely!

Thanks

Stephen

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, I didn't mean to trample all over your thread with discussion on a 7mm version of Juniper Hill!

Not a problem Stephen. I've debated similiar ideas myself with an Ixion Hudswell Clarke and a few PECO 27T Iron Ore tippler wagons. It would certainly be cheaper than the Lionheart 74xx option I'm planning ;)

....... however, a Class 14 would definitely do nicely!

:D

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

I'd be a very happy chap if I could achieve this standard of restrained yet high quality atmospheric modelling – a really inspirational layout :-)

David

PS: O gauge Class 14 kit due from DJH fairly soon(ish) – I have one on pre-order :-)

• Like 2

Thanks for that Storefield link Mark, very interesting. Can still remember very vaguely those 0-4-0s blasting up over the Newton Road crossing to the exchange sidings with 3 or 4 loadeds on the back. Got a BRM pamphlet from about 20 years ago somewhere with a layout design based on Storefield and some very interesting pictures- i'll bring it to WrecRail for you and the lad Smith to peruse if I remember!!

PS best you get that14 mate!!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Dave,

Thanks for that Storefield link Mark, very interesting. Can still remember very vaguely those 0-4-0s blasting up over the Newton Road crossing to the exchange sidings with 3 or 4 loadeds on the back. Got a BRM pamphlet from about 20 years ago somewhere with a layout design based on Storefield and some very interesting pictures- i'll bring it to WrecRail for you and the lad Smith to peruse if I remember!!

I look forwards to seeing that pamphlet.  I wish I could have seen Storefield in action along with the other quarries. Thankfully photographers at the time thought it would be a good subject to record and there are some decent images of the systems. 

Storefield was interesting because of the exchange sidings on the Kettering-Corby line beside the A43 road bridge.  When I did realise the significance of this system it was too late in recent times to investigate the remains  owing to the Geddington bypass construction.

Lile you say though the images I've seen of the 0-4-0's top and tailing their trains is fascinating.  One picture I've got has the locos stopped-the crews having their lunch prior to working the afternoon trains.

PS best you get that14 mate!!!!

I'm looking in to it at present.  The Hattons/Heljan BSC Class 14 has a terrrible factory weathering job. I'm debating as to getting this one and tone things down or get a pristine BR version, remove the BR numbers/crests and get a custom set of numbers made up.  Hmmmm-Decisions, decisions.

From what I've heard removing the Heljan numbers isn't easy though.

Best do some work on JH today and post a few picures.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Good luck with your backscene experiments
I think you may find curving the daler board is tricky - it tends to buckle when you try to gently bend it
Let us know what you find though

Re removal of the numbers on a Heljan 14
If it is difficult, I'd be tempted to just overpaint the number with BR blue,
and apply new transfers - or perhaps just overpaint the 1 or 2 numbers you intend replacing?
A little light weathering and coat of matt varnish will help, I'm sure....

Marc

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Marc,

Good luck with your backscene experiments
I think you may find curving the daler board is tricky - it tends to buckle when you try to gently bend it
Let us know what you find though

Sounds interesting. I'll experiment bending a few scrap pieces first and see how things go.  If it's not successful I do have some cut plywood board in the garage that maybe useful.

If the Dalerboard experiment isn't successful then I've got enough Dalerboard to last me the rest of my modelling days! :D

Thanks for the tips re: the Class 14 as well.  May be a process of experimentation as you say.

Cheers,

Mark

Morning Marc,

Sounds interesting. I'll experiment bending a few scrap pieces first and see how things go.  If it's not successful I do have some cut plywood board in the garage that maybe useful.

If the Dalerboard experiment isn't successful then I've got enough Dalerboard to last me the rest of my modelling days! :D

Thanks for the tips re: the Class 14 as well.  May be a process of experimentation as you say.

Cheers,

Mark

You may be aware, but it's possible to buy "bendy" mdf which has grooves machined on one side to allow curves to be made. I haven't tried any myself but it looks like it may be suitable for curved backscenes etc.

Alan.