• RMweb Gold

Cracking job on the van Mark.Did you see Chris Nevards model here which shews the mouldings off to good effect.....

Thanks Robin,

Yes, I did see CN's excellent build on here and the custom transfers he made. 

This is a nice kit to build and I used HMRS decals. The 'Gunpowder' lettering is slightly too big however.

My GWR version will use a combination of Fox/HMRS decals.

........Look forward to your GWR version.I can't justify one I'm afraid.

Not even on a train to Devonport RN base?

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

I've only just found JH, and I'm so glad I did :)

It's very nice indeed. Plenty of atmosphere, lovely detail

and beautifully understated....

Thanks Marc for those kind words.

Hopefully as Dave says we'll have an opportunity to meet at Wrecrail in June. ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I just want to say that I think your layout is superb! The atmosphere you manage to convey in such a small space is incredible. Top class modelling. It really has inspired me, I have not done any modelling for a while after a difficult time of it lately but this little snapshot has almost single-handledly convinced me to try again.

Thank you for sharing!

Hi South-Tyne,

Thanks as well for those kind words.  I'm glad JH has inspired you to have another go at things.

Have a look at Marc's work. He's a master of micro-layouts which convey atmosphere.  Read an Iain Rice book on layout desgn/presentation and choose a subject you're really interested in.  Iain's books give you ideas on how to approach subjects and it doesn't have to be finescale either. Use RMweb too.

Remember JH is built on a cheap B&Q shelf, a few PECO  points and a bit of track. Nothing fancy. The points are controlled by the wire in tube method as well. I'm a real ludite when electrics are concerned. Even the controller was initially a Bachmann ex-set controller obtained from ebay. These are great value for money and work well. 

In doing something like this you'll learn a great deal as I have said and Marc has pointed out.

Enjoy yourself and the opportunity to shunt a few wagons about.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I really like the gunpowder van. How does it compare with the Rastio one?

Morning Alex,

Just looked into this.  There's a few threads on here about the Ratio 'Iron Mink'.  It doesn't look promising on the accuracy scales and would need Shirescenes etched doors to convert it to a GPV.  Here's a few links including a thread on the Parkside Z2 GPV.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/35398-gwr-iron-mink-questions/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61028-gwr-z2-gunpowder-van-new-release-from-parkside-dundas/page-2

I think Barry Ten did a build of the Iron Mink with the Shirescenes doors but I can't find the link.

Cheers,

Mark

More nice shots Mark
Nice to see it works well from the other side of the layout too!

Is the backscene easily removable, to make this simple?
If so, that's a nice bit of planning :)

BTW. If JC is relieving himself, he chose a bad time to do so...
... what with a bus arriving! ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks once again Marc ;)

Is the backscene easily removable, to make this simple?
If so, that's a nice bit of planning :)

Hmmmm! I'd like to say yes it was a nice bit of planning but it came about by mistake.  Originally JH was just a shelf,  With the exbo invite I thought I better do something with the presentation.  I made a subframe from 2 x 1 timber but over measured the width.  This left a few mm spare where I could slot in the Dalerboard back scene.  In doing so It is removable and something I will look at doing in the future with my next project.

BTW. If JC is relieving himself, he chose a bad time to do so...
... what with a bus arriving! ;)

I wouldn't think Doris the bus conductor would be too impressed! :O

Cheers,

Mark

Hi South-Tyne,

Thanks as well for those kind words. I'm glad JH has inspired you to have another go at things.

Have a look at Marc's work. He's a master of micro-layouts which convey atmosphere. Read an Iain Rice book on layout desgn/presentation and choose a subject you're really interested in. Iain's books give you ideas on how to approach subjects and it doesn't have to be finescale either. Use RMweb too.

Remember JH is built on a cheap B&Q shelf, a few PECO points and a bit of track. Nothing fancy. The points are controlled by the wire in tube method as well. I'm a real ludite when electrics are concerned. Even the controller was initially a Bachmann ex-set controller obtained from ebay. These are great value for money and work well.

In doing something like this you'll learn a great deal as I have said and Marc has pointed out.

Enjoy yourself and the opportunity to shunt a few wagons about.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark!

Can I just check a couple of things.....

I presume the scenic section is 3' long with the fiddle yard as an add on?

Do you find the shelf is fine without any additional bracing?

How have you helped to visually blend the Peco points with the finescale track? Did you modify the points at all?

Apologies for all of the questions and thanks again!

I'm working away from home at the moment but I might look at aquiring a similar shelf over the weekend...

David

• RMweb Gold

Can I just check a couple of things.....

I presume the scenic section is 3' long with the fiddle yard as an add on?

Do you find the shelf is fine without any additional bracing?

Hi David,

JH is quite an illusion really. I think the angle of the photos adds to the effect of greater length too.

The scenic section is only 25 inches long believe it or not. The fiddle yard is about 10 inches long.  I guess not craming in too much track gives the impression of space-something I wanted to create. 

Here's the sort of thing I used from B&Q:

http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/storage-shelving/shelving/shelves/-specificproducttype-wooden_shelves/B-and-Q-Value-Pine-Chunky-Shelf-Kit-H-200-x-W-890-x-D-190mm-9297172

Although my wood work isn't too bad I didn't want to add an additional fiddle yard on to the shelf.  This would involve electrics and take up more space. JH sits nicely on a cupboard in my work room and ready to play so to speak.

As for bracing its a difficult question.  Yes, I'd say it will help prevent warping of the shelf I guess but the shelf I used is solid pine, had been in the garage a few years and hadn't warped. The subframe I made in the end was bonded to the shelf with wood glue.  The one benefit it would give you is the ability to wire from underneath the board as opposed to what I did of cutting channels in the cork underlay then covering it in DAS modelling clay.  Think that breaks every rule in the book.

How have you helped to visually blend the Peco points with the finescale track? Did you modify the points at all?

The PECO points are Code 75 and wired as per the instructions with no modification. Again, I didn't want to complicate things. The SMP Scaleway Code 75 finescale track was some stuff I'd had for years. It joins nicely to the PECO pointwork using PECO fishplates.  However, PECO Code 75 would be fine as would Code 100 if you have that. Use what you've got is my advice.

I never intended JH to develop like it has. It was meant to be a bit of fun and a photo plank for my models. Most of what you see is stuff I had laying around or have made from scratch. Using soil from the garden for some of the ground cover is free.  A bag of chinchilla dust from the pet shop is about a £1 and is useful for ballast etc and the hanging basket liner is cheap and can be found in places like Wilkinsons.

You don't need a static grass tea strainer either-an old squeezy ketchup bottle will work or the Noch Puffer bottle.

Hope that helps David?  I'm just going by experience.  Like I said when I returned to the hobby about 5 years ago I was blinded by DCC, DCC Sound, building big layouts and being side tracked by other scales. With a small project like this hopefully you can finish it quickly and not get fed up with it.

RMweb has some brilliant modellers on here who will be prepared to help.  Start a blog and post some photos of your work. You get feed back which keeps the motivation going and meet like minded modellers.  I always think it takes some balls to post stuff on here but you benefit in the end.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 4

Hi again Mark,

Thank you for your kind words re my efforts....

I'd just like to add a little, in support of some of the points you make above....
Several years back, when building "Bracty Bridge" (my layout in a crate)
I tried to build it using secondhand or old unused items

I often scour those boxes under the table, for odds & ends
You never know what you might find!
It's also worth looking at Ready-To-Plant buildings, and asking yourself how you could modify them,
to get something unique
Take a look at some of Black Rat's modifications on here.....

I sometimes see these buildings, on sale in one of my local shops - Ian Allen sometimes sell them off....

You also say "use what you have" - So many of us have all sorts of things lying about unused...
For some project intended to be started "one day"
A micro layout can be a good way of using these items...

Paul Rolley (Naturol) built a superb circular steelworks layout,
on the strength of finding a big offcut of insulation board and some code 100 rail
I prefer code 75, but if you weather the rail sides, and ballast well
you often don't spot the difference.... honestly

I'd say to David / south_tyne, and to anyone else reading this
just have a go at building something small - even something tiny
I know not everyone likes micro and small layouts,
but you really can learn an awful lot building them
I don't really see lack of space as a down-side....
I view it as a challenge

The fact that you see so many different approaches, and so many small layouts that look so different from one another,
is testament to those modellers who just want to try to build something
Of course, they don't all look as good as Juniper Hill, or one of Chris Nevards' super layouts
But you just don't know how satisfying it is to actually build and complete something, until you try....

Years back, as a lad, I built a large roundy-roundy in my parents loft....
It took years, much of my pocket money, and I never did even get a quarter of the way through ballasting!

The thing with very small layouts is that they don't cost so much, or take too much of your time
You can experiment with new materials and methods without fearing a huge loss
and you get to see the fruits of your efforts rather more quickly
which is perhaps the most positive element of this sort of modelling

Cheers again folks

And despite JH's diminutive proportions - more pics please :)
Marc

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As requested Marc a few more shots of JH and thanks for the above comments too.

The gunpowder was unloaded earlier on today and here we see 'Twywell' shunting the empty GPV back to the BR exchange sidings.

post-7584-0-66461200-1368549216_thumb.jpg

Then having returned to JH top sidings with two 27T tippler wagons the crew of 'Twywell' take a rest haviing left her simmering in the goods shed road. 

post-7584-0-99685000-1368549418_thumb.jpg

This was a shot I took yesterday having removed the back scene. I'm not sure if Terry has been painting the door but it does look a very clean.  Perhaps it could do with a bit of toning down. 

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 8

Hi David,

JH is quite an illusion really. I think the angle of the photos adds to the effect of greater length too.

The scenic section is only 25 inches long believe it or not. The fiddle yard is about 10 inches long.  I guess not craming in too much track gives the impression of space-something I wanted to create. 

Here's the sort of thing I used from B&Q:

http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/storage-shelving/shelving/shelves/-specificproducttype-wooden_shelves/B-and-Q-Value-Pine-Chunky-Shelf-Kit-H-200-x-W-890-x-D-190mm-9297172

Although my wood work isn't too bad I didn't want to add an additional fiddle yard on to the shelf.  This would involve electrics and take up more space. JH sits nicely on a cupboard in my work room and ready to play so to speak.

As for bracing its a difficult question.  Yes, I'd say it will help prevent warping of the shelf I guess but the shelf I used is solid pine, had been in the garage a few years and hadn't warped. The subframe I made in the end was bonded to the shelf with wood glue.  The one benefit it would give you is the ability to wire from underneath the board as opposed to what I did of cutting channels in the cork underlay then covering it in DAS modelling clay.  Think that breaks every rule in the book.

An illusion maybe... but what an illusion! It is difficult to believe it is such a small size. I am going to have a look for a similar shelf at the weekend, I feel inspired!!

I have fallen down in the past by having a separate fiddle yard board and then never getting round to building it... then it renders the whole thing pretty useless, so I understand the wish to have an integral fiddle yard... no baseboard joints, no complications. I guess framing could be added at a later date if felt necessary however your experience probably tells us we often over complicate things.

Can I ask what goes on in the fiddle yard? Is it simply plain track or is there some kind of traverser/sector plate? I am formulating some ideas in my mind but I think the fiddle yard will be so important on such a tiny layout. 

The PECO points are Code 75 and wired as per the instructions with no modification. Again, I didn't want to complicate things. The SMP Scaleway Code 75 finescale track was some stuff I'd had for years. It joins nicely to the PECO pointwork using PECO fishplates.  However, PECO Code 75 would be fine as would Code 100 if you have that. Use what you've got is my advice.

I never intended JH to develop like it has. It was meant to be a bit of fun and a photo plank for my models. Most of what you see is stuff I had laying around or have made from scratch. Using soil from the garden for some of the ground cover is free.  A bag of chinchilla dust from the pet shop is about a £1 and is useful for ballast etc and the hanging basket liner is cheap and can be found in places like Wilkinsons.

You don't need a static grass tea strainer either-an old squeezy ketchup bottle will work or the Noch Puffer bottle.

Hope that helps David?  I'm just going by experience.  Like I said when I returned to the hobby about 5 years ago I was blinded by DCC, DCC Sound, building big layouts and being side tracked by other scales. With a small project like this hopefully you can finish it quickly and not get fed up with it.

RMweb has some brilliant modellers on here who will be prepared to help.  Start a blog and post some photos of your work. You get feed back which keeps the motivation going and meet like minded modellers.  I always think it takes some balls to post stuff on here but you benefit in the end.

Cheers,

Mark

I have some Peco points and some SMP (or maybe it is C&L) plain track somewhere at home so I would be able to recycle other bits and pieces. I'll have a think about it... I imagine they are small radius points for space-saving reasons? 

Thanks so much for your insights and supplies. As I said I have had a difficult time over the last year but I really want to get on with a small project to restart my modelling, and a similar kind of thing will give me chance of completion. As I am currently working away from home I need something small which I can carry up and down the country! 

I will start a layout topic once I have formulated my ideas. But the goal is just to have somewhere to shuffle a handful of wagons.

Thanks for sharing your inspiring project! 

David

• Like 1

Then having returned to JH top sidings with two 27T tippler wagons the crew of 'Twywell' take a rest haviing left her simmering in the goods shed road. 

attachicon.gifJH 130513 002rmweb.jpg

This was a shot I took yesterday having removed the back scene. I'm not sure if Terry has been painting the door but it does look a very clean.  Perhaps it could do with a bit of toning down. 

Cheers,

Mark

PS that is a stunning photo!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening David,

Thanks once again for all your comments.

Can I ask what goes on in the fiddle yard? Is it simply plain track or is there some kind of traverser/sector plate? I am formulating some ideas in my mind but I think the fiddle yard will be so important on such a tiny layout. 

Ah! The fiddle yard. I haven't taken a picture of the fiddle yard have I?  I'll take one tomorrow if I have a chance but once again there's nothing complicated.  As the track exits the hole in the sky it is soldered to two copper clad sleepers. The rails here have soldered fish plates and the copper clad sleepers act as a bus bar of sorts.  In the original plan I had ideas of using cassettes but in the end just went for a piece of track. Told you it was simple ;)

The rationale behind this was I only shunt 4 wagons max.  There are isolating sections-two infact.one in the goods shed siding and the other near the water tank so you can have two locos in play.

Obviously, shunting the same few wagons around at an exhibition all day would probably result in you loosing the will to live so there are themes within the ironstone theme.  Something that I mentioned earlier on in in this thread was if the water tank is removed the layout kind of becomes generic.  I know at the exhibition we had an Eastern flavoured session with a BR Sentinel, Class 03 and Class 04.  A Class 08 would also fit the bill.

The Model Rail Sentinel is an excellent loco for a layout this size, as is the Hornby J94/Austerity and the Hornby L&Y Pug due to their low speed running qualities.  There is thoughts about an Heljan ex BR Class 14 as used on the Corby system but these are quite large locos really.

I have some Peco points and some SMP (or maybe it is C&L) plain track somewhere at home so I would be able to recycle other bits and pieces. I'll have a think about it... I imagine they are small radius points for space-saving reasons? 

Your supply of track sounds promising so one of the major expenses is out of the equation.  See what you can find shelf wise and start having a play around with some track formations.  It will be good to see you start a thread and/or a blog for your build. 

Cheers,

Mark

Ah! The fiddle yard. I haven't taken a picture of the fiddle yard have I?  I'll take one tomorrow if I have a chance but once again there's nothing complicated.  As the track exits the hole in the sky it is soldered to two copper clad sleepers. The rails here have soldered fish plates and the copper clad sleepers act as a bus bar of sorts.  In the original plan I had ideas of using cassettes but in the end just went for a piece of track. Told you it was simple ;)

The rationale behind this was I only shunt 4 wagons max.  There are isolating sections-two infact.one in the goods shed siding and the other near the water tank so you can have two locos in play.

Thanks a picture would be appreciated, although no rush and I don't want to spoil that illusion  :whistle:  to be honest simple sounds perfect and just what I need to do! I was reading something  on another thread about 'one point layouts' and how most people only 'play' with a layout in small bit-sized chunks of time, I find i very true. 20 minutes or so shuffling 4 wagons around sounds like heaven after a hard day at work... and the beauty of a layout such as this is, as you say, it can be easily stored, takes no set up time and is quickly out of the way again when you're done!

Obviously, shunting the same few wagons around at an exhibition all day would probably result in you loosing the will to live so there are themes within the ironstone theme.  Something that I mentioned earlier on in in this thread was if the water tank is removed the layout kind of becomes generic.  I know at the exhibition we had an Eastern flavoured session with a BR Sentinel, Class 03 and Class 04.  A Class 08 would also fit the bill.

The Model Rail Sentinel is an excellent loco for a layout this size, as is the Hornby J94/Austerity and the Hornby L&Y Pug due to their low speed running qualities.  There is thoughts about an Heljan ex BR Class 14 as used on the Corby system but these are quite large locos really.

That is an interesting concept and will help keep the variety up. My plan is for a NE based layout so the aforementioned Sentinel and a J72 will probably be on the cards. Both of these classes were used to shunt Bishop Auckland goods yard (the intended theme/location) which is handy. A Class 14 would look the business as long as it doesn't overpower the scene.

Your supply of track sounds promising so one of the major expenses is out of the equation.  See what you can find shelf wise and start having a play around with some track formations.  It will be good to see you start a thread and/or a blog for your build. 

Yes, the next stage is to play around with some 1:1 style planning. Initial thoughts are 1 or 2 points, a couple of sidings really, trying to take on board the 'less is more principle'...... or even a 'pointless' layout. Food for thought at least. I'll start a thread with my ideas. 

Thanks again for your help and keep the inspiring photos coming!!

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Top stuff Mark, I can't believe that I've only just discovered this lovely little layout.

Thanks Martin. 

I'm glad you like it.  Bit more to do yet and some more photos no doubt!

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Morning David,

.........My plan is for a NE based layout so the aforementioned Sentinel and a J72 will probably be on the cards. Both of these classes were used to shunt Bishop Auckland goods yard (the intended theme/location) which is handy.

That sounds like a nice concept.  I've seen some pictures recently of a Sentinel on a milk train around that part of the country.  If you can capture a snapshot of this area I think you'll be on to a winner.  ;)

Hopefully some photos later.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

Hi again Mark, and thanks for posting those pics
Looking at the "track plan" it suddenly struck me,
that it's a lot like Neil Rushby's "Shell Island"

Shell Island is a superb piece of modelling,
and one of my all time favourite layouts
Of course, JH's setting is rather different to SI - but just as good
Honestly, JH makes me feel like doing something similar...

Oh no! I'm drawing up even more plans now ;)
See what you've done lol!

Marc

Edit: another thought of mine, which I've been pondering far too long...
but something like JH could be part of a layout, which shares its' fiddle yard,
with another similar layout on the opposite end.....
A sort of end-to-end, but with a fiddle yard in between....

As I said, I've pondered this arrangement for a while

and it could be a nice arrangement for those considering a similar plan to JH.....
Especially nice if both modules could work on their own too....

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 1

Morning David,

That sounds like a nice concept. I've seen some pictures recently of a Sentinel on a milk train around that part of the country. If you can capture a snapshot of this area I think you'll be on to a winner. ;)

Hopefully some photos later.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark! Keep the photos coming and apologies for hijacking your thread!

• Like 1

Oh no! I'm drawing up even more plans now ;)

See what you've done lol!

Marc

Edit: another thought of mine, which I've been pondering far too long...

but something like JH could be part of a layout, which shares its' fiddle yard,

with another similar layout on the opposite end.....

A sort of end-to-end, but with a fiddle yard in between....

As I said, I've pondered this arrangement for a while

and it could be a nice arrangement for those considering a similar plan to JH.....

Especially nice if both modules could work on their own too....

I know the feeling Marc... I'm all set to start something...

The fiddle yard in the middle of two modules is an interesting concept. Wearing my other modelling hat (009 scale) there is a great modeller called John Thorne who has done something similar with his 'Ditton' layouts. They are a series of modules (standard size of 4' iirc) which are connected by a series of 'black boxes' containing a fiddle yard. It does seem a neat way of doing a few separate scenes and the break helps with presentation and maintaining reality. Interesting thoughts though......

David

• Like 1

Lovely stuff mark.

One day I want to do something similar in7mm.

As marc smith said experimenting with materials/paints/scenics is all part of the fun..

I must say im inspired.

Jack.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mark! Keep the photos coming and apologies for hijacking your thread!

Afternoon David,

I've been out this morn and the light in the railway room isn't brilliant now so I'll shoot some photos off tomorrow.

As for hijacking this thread-that's not a problem ;).  It's been good helping you and if it gets you modelling again thats great ;).  It's also been great having Marc's input too. 

I'm looking forwards to seeing the developmental stages to your layout.  Not sure if you're aware or can make it but there's a small exhibition near Market Harborough on the 8/6/13 being organised by a few of the members on here.  I know Marc is booked to attend and I will be visiting.  Something to think about may be.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the "track plan" it suddenly struck me,

that it's a lot like Neil Rushby's "Shell Island"

I've read about Shell Island in your posts before Marc but never ever seen any pictures of it. 

The idea of the central hidden sidings would certainly work with JH whether the other board be a quarry system or the exchange sidings or all three then I guess it starts becoming a modular layout.

I'll post some more shots tomorrow.  JC has got a mate with him taking photos I believe as well.;)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff mark.
One day I want to do something similar in7mm.

Thanks Jack.

Your layout you're building at present St Clemens demonstrates a lot of skils and you appear to have a good eye for detail and colour. Be nice to see it progress as well.

As for the 7mm stuff thats my plan too after the Teign Valley project I'm working on at the momment. The advent of the Ixion Hudswell Clark and the forth coming Dapol 7mm Terrier/Class 08 opens a lot of doors. I forgot the Kernow Beattie Well Tank in that list too. I'm sure there's a Cornish theme in there somewhere.

Try building one of the PECO 7mm scale wagon kits. Everything you need is in the box and they go together really well.

Cheers,

Mark Edited by 46444
  • Like 1