Par Station & St Blazey Depot, 1980's Cornish Mainline in N scale

cornish trains jez

House moves mess up your modelling. Good to hear that you're getting moved now though. Best wishes for a smooth and stress free one!

Thank you Richard. I haven't even started packing any of my railways yet and we move on Monday! Our loft is full of railway modeller, model rail, rail, traction mags etc!!

Funny you should mention the decals breaking, I had the exact same problem when doing my Clay Tiger! It looks good nevertheless and I'm sure a small clay spillage could conveniently end up on the darker overlaps!

Cheers,

Jack

Thanks Jack. Glad it's not just me breaking the decals then! I like the idea of running some weathering down the joins to hide them.

I think that Tiger looks G-r-r-r-eat!! I find china clay spillages cover a multitude of sins!

I think one might well be heading east across the Tamar to North Devon!

They are nice models. Just require a bit of work to get the body smooth but well worth the effort. John at Precision has the transfer set for these as he made up the blue flash for me which wasn't available initially.

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening,

Well, I've moved house now and finally have a dedicated room for my railway modelling. And with a kind invitation in hand to the Hayle Model Railway exhibition in 2015, I need to get my skates on and crack on with the layout.

With my enthusiasm for Par now finally restored to 100%, there will be plenty of updates on the layout over the coming weeks and months, so watch this space!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 8

Well my three bedrooms are full of us and three kids so no chance there. Now you have the foot in the door though at least you have the high ground! Haha. Im planning a proper weathered and insulated outbuilding, no problem designing it as Ido it for a living and building it is no problem either but its gonna cost me though!

Been following this thread with interest, as Par has always been one of my favourite stations. The 1980s saw the clay industry hit it's peak output, the volume of traffic was unlike anything before or since and most of it is gone now. As a young lad growing up in Cornwall, Par was one of the places my old man would take me. You didn't have to wait all day for a single clay train like you do these days, they were very frequent. You could go almost at any time of day and there'd be something happening. Trains coming from Burngullow, Goonbarrow and Fowey, sometimes all at once.

I'll never forget the one day I got invited by the BZ crew inside the workshops, and up into the cab of a 37 to fire up the engine, how that roaring exhaust echoed in the shed! You wouldn't get away with that these days! What an amazing time in Cornish railway history that era was.

• Like 3

Hi Stoker, thanks for looking in and commenting. The 80's really was a great era for diesel tractions with a range of different liveries and this is why I chose this era for my layout, plus it's the era I did my trainspotting days in too, albeit on the ECML at Grantham, Newark and some of Lincolnshires country stations.

It must have been great to live in Cornwall during that period and see the 37's at work. Do you have any photos of your visits?

Best regards,

Jeremy

The layouts coming on great , really love the buildings ,the signal box is looking very nice ,just seen the picture of the class 50 in large logo (post 156 i think)and think the 50's really did look good in that livery ,I like 56 's in that livery as well .

Will be watching with interest

Brian

Edited by bri.s

The 80s were great , but iirc the peak rail movements year was 98 or 99 I think statistically

In 1988 the clay industry peaked at over 3.25 million tonnes. It came close to hitting the same mark again in 1992, but then steadily dropped off. At the moment, Cornwall is just about producing 1 million tonnes annually, which is less than the industry was producing in the 1960s. By 1998, 3 rail served drying sites had recently closed (Blackpool dryers, Drinnick dryers, and Pontsmill dryers), and by 1999 ECCI were acquired by Imetal, forming Imerys. I really doubt that '98 was the peak for rail movements on clay, perhaps '95 but by '98 it was very much in decline.

Hi Stoker, thanks for looking in and commenting. The 80's really was a great era for diesel tractions with a range of different liveries and this is why I chose this era for my layout, plus it's the era I did my trainspotting days in too, albeit on the ECML at Grantham, Newark and some of Lincolnshires country stations.

It must have been great to live in Cornwall during that period and see the 37's at work. Do you have any photos of your visits?

Best regards,

Jeremy

As you can imagine I was obsessed with class 37s as a boy! From our house we could hear them roaring up the Luxulyan valley to reach Goonbarrow. My Dad still has them all, I've asked him to pick out a couple of the best ones and send scans to me. I'll post them up as soon as I get them. :)

• Like 1

As you can imagine I was obsessed with class 37s as a boy! From our house we could hear them roaring up the Luxulyan valley to reach Goonbarrow. My Dad still has them all, I've asked him to pick out a couple of the best ones and send scans to me. I'll post them up as soon as I get them. :)

Sounds great! Look forward to seeing them.

I received my Dapol restaurant-buffet 125 coach in blue grey livery yesterday (It's been on pre-order for ages!!) which now completes my Western region HST set.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning all,

The posty delivered these for me this morning from the 3D printers to add to the wagon fleet for Par.

First off, the china clay PRA wagon which looks like it will need a little bit off sanding just to get the sides a little smoother. Nicely produced and although the ladders are nicely produced, I'm half tempted to lop them off and fit some etched ones.

post-10222-0-26450600-1394711055_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-91686300-1394711074_thumb.jpg

Last but not least is the YCV "Turbot" ballast wagon. I don't think they were that commonly used in the Duchy but having purchased the latest Modern Traction Archive DVD which features a nice long chunk of Cornish 80's action, the footage shows a class 47 thundering through Par with a nice long rake of these wagons. So I had to include this on the layout.

post-10222-0-64797500-1394711213_thumb.jpg

It doesn't look like it will need to much playing around with. The sides are slightly bent out but I'll pop into some nice hot water and they should reposition themselves nicely.

The layout itself will have some legs fitted soon and now I have moved and have a carport the length of the side of the house, I'll be able to erect the layout on the driveway and have an "al fresco" running session soon!! :laugh: (whatever the weather and once the track work is finished). With a bit of luck, I'll be able to post a video soon on this thread.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 6

BTW I have had the first test hst coach NEM couplers back. They work very well but Ive overegged the length a bit. The Dapol coaches can be pretty much door to door on the straight due to the cam on the coupler bar, Im going to tweak the file a bit to make them shorter.

post-6894-0-28155200-1394712260_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-01346100-1394712288_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

The wagons look nice. I do like the turbot (as a wagon) I built a few kits a number of years ago in OO. I wouldnt mind some on MD. How much did that print come in at?

Hi mate,

The print for the Turbot was 13.82 euros plus the postage. Probably best to order a rake as it can become quite pricey with just a single wagon. My next order will be quite a large one as I want to make a saving next time around. Just need the bogies from TPM and some DG couplings to finish off.

I like the HST couplings. Let me know when you have them ready to order.

Best regards,

Jeremy

I will. I may just take a flyer on them tbh as I know they work and simply take off a mil or so in length to close the gap up a bit rather than have a test print made. I dunno yet.