Par Station & St Blazey Depot, 1980's Cornish Mainline in N scale

cornish trains jez

Another shot of PRA's herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/48175753@N03/8599777045/in/photolist-e6W772

They don't seem to come up in photos too often. This one is the only one I have that I can find so far

I haven't seen many either and I read somewhere that there were only 14 built. There are a few photos on Paul Bartletts website.

There are some very useful drawings of the PRAs in the book 'Modelling the BR era' - let me know if they would be helpful.

I know not many were made, they were used on the Ponts Mill to Scotland traffic - I have a photo of them over Rannoch moor! I think there was something about the consistency of the clay from Ponts Mill that meant they used these wagons.

There are some very useful drawings of the PRAs in the book 'Modelling the BR era' - let me know if they would be helpful.

I know not many were made, they were used on the Ponts Mill to Scotland traffic - I have a photo of them over Rannoch moor! I think there was something about the consistency of the clay from Ponts Mill that meant they used these wagons.

They would be very useful, cheers!

• RMweb Gold

That Tiger looks GGGGRRRREAT.......sorry, showing my age there :D

Really nice work Jeremy.

And the 2mmFS frog looks good too...that was always my sticking point so (for me) that's the hard part out of the way.

Will try and look up about my hoodies but I have a feeling I never got as far as the buffers...Andy (struth) might be able to help on that one...

That Tiger looks GGGGRRRREAT.......sorry, showing my age there :D

Really nice work Jeremy.

And the 2mmFS frog looks good too...that was always my sticking point so (for me) that's the hard part out of the way.

Will try and look up about my hoodies but I have a feeling I never got as far as the buffers...Andy (struth) might be able to help on that one...

Cheers Pete! Just waiting on the transfers to arrive and then I'll spray paint it and apply the transfers.

Just send me a PM with your email and I'll try to scan and send them this weekend.

Thanks Tom, PM on its way!

Now, I'm interested! Any details of his layout? Is he modelling in 2mm?

I am modelling Whitehaven and strangely enough will need similar stock ;-)

Cheers

Mike

I got the response back from my friend. He made 2 PBAs several years ago and has no need to make any more.

I might have a go myself with these as I like them and saw 7 of them at Sittingbourne in the late 80s and photographed a Cerestar-liveried one at Didcot back in the mid/late 90s. I have a 2mm or N Gauge scale drawing of them here. I am thinking of tinkering with the model in the next few weeks and will let you know the outcome. I will add you as a friend and make a note of what I've decided here so I know who to contact. It certainly looks good!

Regards,

Robert.

Good evening all.

No photos of progress this evening but I have managed to complete one of the stock rails and install the "V" into position with some additional chairs for support on my first turnout in 2mmFS. It's really starting to come together and I'm pleased so far with how it looks. Tomorrow night I plan to finish the last stock rail.

I didn't realise how long it would take to thread all the individual chairs onto the rail and making sure I had the correct type of chair for each sleeper position.

Photos to follow of the completed turnout in the next few days.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

Good look on building the points i know it comes easy to some people but building my own points just daunts me .excellent layout it's coming on great

Will be watching for updates

Brian

Good afternoon,

A brief update on where I'm at my first turnout and some photos as I'm not going to have a huge amount of time to do any trackwork this week as I prefer to do this in our conservatory with plenty of natural light, so I'll be cracking on with rolling stock and buildings over the next few evenings.

I decided to separate the "V" and the common crossing as I wanted to add some additional chairs to secure them into position (as in the prototype) and then run some feeder wires to the bus wires underneath the board to keep the electrical current flowing across the crossing.

There are a couple of chairs which have strayed off centre when I was fixing them down but on the whole I'm really pleased with the current result.

A couple of progress shots. Any comments are most welcome.

post-10222-0-87846000-1384869045.jpg

post-10222-0-52009100-1384869054.jpg

post-10222-0-33275100-1384869078.jpg

post-10222-0-67529100-1384869088.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 7

Yes the plastic gluing and threading chairs takes an age. The copperclad ones I did for MD however went very quickly indeed!

My soldering skills aren't great mate and I'm kind of used to working with plastic. However, over the next few days my first etched brass chassis for my UCV china clay hoods will be arriving from the 2FS shop so I'll need to learn to solder neatly now!!

Also ordered up my first PRA wagon today. The workbench will soon be full again!!

Its not cheap but you get tons. I bought a little jar from eileens at £8 a pop but you use so little that it lasts forever. I knocked that point out in about 2 and a bit hours all in including fabrication of the rails and the like. Thats with every sleeper soldered on. Well worth the outlay.

Not much to report on Par tonight but last night I upgraded my first Peco CDA with new brass buffers and some detailing to each end showing some of the additional equipment carried by these wagons. I need to consider weathering on these as my period modelled is 1980 - 1989 so these wagons wouldn't have been that badly weathered as they were not introduced fully until February 1988 when they completely replaced the clay "hoods".

My 2FS chassis arrived today so I'll start the first three of about 48 clay hoods for the layout which will be Parkwood bodies mounted on society etched chassis with 3 link couplings in the rakes and DG couplings on the outer ends.

I have decided to build rolling stock during the week in the evenings and trackwork at the weeeknds because, as mentioned in a previous post, I prefer using the natural light in our conservatory for the trackwork. I have a lit magnifier on the work bench so this makes rolling stock construction a little simpler.

I'm eager to get some trains running again now so I hope to have the track down by the Christmas break as I have some locos that I have bought but not yet run!! Maybe a I'll take a little video and upload to this thread!!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1