Par Station & St Blazey Depot, 1980's Cornish Mainline in N scale

cornish trains jez

Looks good Jeremy. Just one thought - make sure that you can reach the rear tracks.

Hi,

I was thinking the same thing as I was setting up the layout. However I may have a solution to it which I'm currently working on and will post some details here soon.

Best regards,

Jeremy

We here is my plan. It's just a rough sketch with Par station to one side and St Blazey Depot to the other. It will leave me around a meter in width between to the two so should be enough room to move around without catching either side.

The line through the station will loop round the back of the depot in a hidden cutting and the Newquay branch from St Blazey will join it. To the other side will be the fiddle yard set on the curves. Hopefully this will work out with enough room to accommodate all the trains and the length of some of them. Alternatively I could have the fiddle yard running underneath the depot which will mean positioning the layout higher up which I'd rather not do.

I've almost finished "templotting" the depot which will be the section from the level crossing on Par Green to the end of the platform of St Blazey station, which I believe was the original Par station.

Here's the plan. Comments and suggestions welcome!

post-10222-0-57575900-1437398173_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

Awesome!  Wish I had a garage I could use like that.  Dead jealous.

Is there enough room in there for Euston too?

Paul.

Sadly not. Euston will have to go on the back burner for the time being although I have gathered quite a bit of info on it already and may dip in and out of the project every now and then.

Ah just as well I suppose, otherwise I'd have been moving next door!  :O

Paul

Now that would have been interesting, especially as my garage is attached to my neighbours. A couple of holes drilled through and we could have been running a proper service from one garage to the other! :yahoo:

Lol, and here's me planning a 'Plymouth esque' layout set in the 88-92 period.  Ladies and Gentlemen the next stop is.....

Plymouth will make a cracking layout. I have a DVD called The Penzance to Paddington class 47 and there is a nice little section on it showing some movements at Plymouth. Well worth checking out!

I once sketched out a US-style two-level "Basement Buster" including Lostwithiel, Par, St Blazey, Goonbarrow, Burngullow, Long Rock and Penzance.  Probably not practical in 2mm finescale, though...

• Like 2

I once sketched out a US-style two-level "Basement Buster" including Lostwithiel, Par, St Blazey, Goonbarrow, Burngullow, Long Rock and Penzance.  Probably not practical in 2mm finescale, though...

You could fit it all in though in 2mm! That would be an awesome slice of Cornwall.

• RMweb Premium

We here is my plan. It's just a rough sketch with Par station to one side and St Blazey Depot to the other. It will leave me around a meter in width between to the two so should be enough room to move around without catching either side.

The line through the station will loop round the back of the depot in a hidden cutting and the Newquay branch from St Blazey will join it. To the other side will be the fiddle yard set on the curves. Hopefully this will work out with enough room to accommodate all the trains and the length of some of them. Alternatively I could have the fiddle yard running underneath the depot which will mean positioning the layout higher up which I'd rather not do.

I've almost finished "templotting" the depot which will be the section from the level crossing on Par Green to the end of the platform of St Blazey station, which I believe was the original Par station.

Here's the plan. Comments and suggestions welcome!

attachicon.gifPlan.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy, if you were to model the incline down from Par to St Blazey then your main lines could run on an embankment rather than in a cutting - better for watching the trains go by. Is there room to reverse the connection at the Down end of St Blazey so that Newquay trains run to the fiddle yard instead of straight back to Par? Alternatively if the branch were lower than the mains the Newquay line could go underneath and round to a separate fiddle yard or reverse loop.

Then if you bored through the garage wall you could include an outdoor section featuring Par Docks and a reinstated Fowey branch...

The version I started building (but never completed due to a move) was arranged in a "U". The main line towards Plymouth did a 180 degree curve and ran along the wall behind Par station, and joined the Penzance end in a hidden double junction at the far end of the room, making the entire main line a teardrop-shaped reverse loop. From the double junction the combined main line ran to a fiddle yard behind St Blazey.with another return loop at the far end.

It meant you could run a realistic sequence with down trains reappearing as up trains later in the day.

The plan did take advantage of the tighter curves possible in N, but was in a much smaller space (12'x8') than you have available.

Jeremy, if you were to model the incline down from Par to St Blazey then your main lines could run on an embankment rather than in a cutting - better for watching the trains go by. Is there room to reverse the connection at the Down end of St Blazey so that Newquay trains run to the fiddle yard instead of straight back to Par? Alternatively if the branch were lower than the mains the Newquay line could go underneath and round to a separate fiddle yard or reverse loop.

Then if you bored through the garage wall you could include an outdoor section featuring Par Docks and a reinstated Fowey branch...

I like the idea of the embankment as at the Western end of Par, the track elevates which is a detail I hadn't added when i planned the layout in N gauge.However, I have yet to change the track work on this board and I was going to add the elevation in which would tie in nicely with raising the track into a fiddle yard and then on to an embankment behind the depot and maybe include one of the many bridges as the track curves back towards the station.

Definitely agree on the Newquay connection, I need to run this in to its own seperate fiddle yard under Par station  I think. Then I could run the trains in a sequence whereby they re appear some time later back at Par.

Not sure about the extension out of the garage although we have a carport in front of the garage, I could eventually have an additional "bolt-on" section under the carport which I could use even if it's raining as it wouldn't get wet!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lol, and here's me planning a 'Plymouth esque' layout set in the 88-92 period.  Ladies and Gentlemen the next stop is.....

So I'm not the only one who has dreamt of building a model of Plymouth. I have happy memories of spotting at North Road in the 80s whilst visiting my grandparents, plenty of interest then at the station and I guess it sowed the seed. I think that remodelled North Road would still make a excellent layout, a natural break with the curve into Mutley tunnel at one end although a more contrived scenic break at the other. Of course, in the pre-Beeching time there was the added interest of stock movements to Millbay as well as the Southern using running rights to gain access to Friary. All in all, a fascinating location...now where can I find a large garage?

Neil

If you modelled North Road pre rationalisation with all the sidings and track that existed then, there could be enough interest for a layout. Lots of shunting of carriages and freight vans with engineering wagons past the level crossing. Be creative and include Mutley station as well; ideal for Saltash motors!

Brian.

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

NSE 50034 arriving soon.......

Very cryptic, Jeremy! After nearly three years it's interesting that you have put this on the St Blazey thread. Is there something we should know about?  :yes:

David

Very cryptic, Jeremy! After nearly three years it's interesting that you have put this on the St Blazey thread. Is there something we should know about?  :yes:

David

Hi David,

I’ve got photos of 50034 at Euston, not sure which service it was running at the time. Also this loco visited Cornwall frequently so I thought it would be a good bet to have this one in my collection for both layoits. I’ve just ordered 50149 so that one will arrive in the summer at some point.

It has always been my intention to continue the layout at some point and I’ve carried on collecting items of rolling stock for it. At the moment, my efforts are currently on the wiring of Euston but watch this space........!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 4