Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

photobucket is down at the mo so i cant upload my every day pics from yesterday, however to whet your appetite heres one ive just put on Flickr

24591217731_b34ba28319_c.jpg47739 Boston sidings by jim scott, on Flickr 

Hello Jim,

Thank you for all the marvellous pictures you post and the insight into railway operations which your captions reveal. I have already given this picture a "like" but felt I needed to explain why. It is a night shot, you have shared with us many of those, but the two colleagues in the cab looking so relaxed and natural but at the same time could have been posed made the composition remind me of many of O. Winston Link's pictures taken on the Norfolk and Western Railroad in Virginia. Well done Jim.

Geoff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

cheers, those are 2 of my drivers who i was passing out on 47s last night

one of them's dad used to be a saltley driver back in the 60s through to the 80s so was bought up on unofficial cab rides and knows 47s inside out, the other is a driver on the north norfolk railway too so also knows 47s like the back of his hand from signing them on there, embarrassingly he knows them better than i do, he showed me a few things i never knew thats for sure and i thought i knew 47s pretty well, the reason being on heritage railways they go far deeper into the maintenance side of the traction, we concentrate on the driving and faults and failures side of things

• Like 8

and were back, couple of days worth

first up boston with the steel train, first time i've been there, bit of a boring run in the dark really!

washwood heath

DSCF1881.jpg

then off to sleaford where the train sits for 20 mins or so

DSCF1889.jpg

DSCF1898.jpg

DSCF1900.jpg

and finally boston, not good for pics as its dark but this one is after the loaded train is pushed back ready to depart back out onto the mainline

DSCF1911.jpg

yesterday was basford hall to toton with 60002

crewe station

64F8601D-24E6-4F1B-90C1-048BC48569A7.jpg

60013's extra nameplate in toton

2016-01-29%2015.54.24.jpg

2 trains passed by while i was waiting for my taxi, both caught me by surprise so no decent pics, just about managed a going away shot of the freightliner train, the gbrf one i tried to get was completly blurred!

DSCF1915.jpg

over to derby for the train home, couple of interesting things there

nmt

DSCF1916.jpg

375 unit

DSCF1917.jpg

hauled by the europhoenix 37

DSCF1918.jpg

97 passing by

DSCF1919.jpg

freightliner 66

and thtas yer lot, cambrian tonight again

It does seem a bit OTT opening all those manual signal boxes on the Skegness line all night for one freight working.

I know Sleaford station sees northbound join line trains as well (southbound go via the avoiding line) but there must only be a couple of those as well.

Meanwhile, why use the joint line when the ECML isn't doing much at that time of night,

I think there is one more passenger train from skegness and one as far as boston after the steel train has gone

Yes it looks as if the Boston train runs during the evening shift.

However checking RTT for Sleaford station last week most of the freight paths during the early hours seem to have been conditional, meaning most nights there were no trains whatsoever, but then on the Friday one train northbound (via the station) turned up at 03:50 in the morning and another around five.

A southbound freight arrived around two in the morning but used the avoiding line.

So all four boxes at Sleaford must have been opened for a whole night shift during Friday early hours, the north and south boxes for three trains and the east and west boxes for two trains.

Question is what happens on the nights there are no trains, even if scheduled, do the boxes stay open.

It does seem a bit OTT opening all those manual signal boxes on the Skegness line all night for one freight working.

I know Sleaford station sees northbound join line trains as well (southbound go via the avoiding line) but there must only be a couple of those as well.

Meanwhile, why use the joint line when the ECML isn't doing much at that time of night,

last train leaves skeggy at 2130 and the boxes shut minutes after

Yes it looks as if the Boston train runs during the evening shift.

However checking RTT for Sleaford station last week most of the freight paths during the early hours seem to have been conditional, meaning most nights there were no trains whatsoever, but then on the Friday one train northbound (via the station) turned up at 03:50 in the morning and another around five.

A southbound freight arrived around two in the morning but used the avoiding line.

So all four boxes at Sleaford must have been opened for a whole night shift during Friday early hours, the north and south boxes for three trains and the east and west boxes for two trains.

Question is what happens on the nights there are no trains, even if scheduled, do the boxes stay open.

There are only 2 boxes at sleaford, east and west, north and south shut and transfered to Lincoln

There are only 2 boxes at sleaford, east and west, north and south shut and transfered to Lincoln

The joint line avoider is now fully available in both directions 24/7 all being controlled from Lincoln, only the passenger trains come into the station.

There is at least one path during the day where a freight is scheduled to overtake a passenger service by using the avoider while the passenger goes into and out of Sleaford.

We even had some Nottingham-Norwich  Sunday services diverted over the joint a few weeks before Christmas. A few of them were combined with Skeggie trains and split at Sleaford due to work in Gonerby tunnel, Grantham being served by a bus from Bottesford.

• Like 1

The joint was re-laid, re-signalled and upgraded with all the level crossings made into barrier types (even the infamous Tinsleys!) specifically to take freight off the ECML. There are quite a few during the day and paths for a good few more.

When the burrowing junction now proposed for Werrington is completed expect to see even more. The ECML passenger service is going to be increased so there is likely to be little room for freight in a few years time.

Edit: As an example, when on my way to Norwich on Thursday we passed an empty steel train (I think from somewhere on the continent) with pair of 66s on between Stoke Tunnel and Grantham. A couple of signals behind it was an EC HST. As I don't sign the ECML north of Grantham I can't be sure but I think the next loop to drop the freight into is north of Newark. The HST will be chasing double yellows all the way, even if it stops at Grantham, it'll be back on the tail of the freight before long.

Edited by great central
  • Like 1

Edit: As an example, when on my way to Norwich on Thursday we passed an empty steel train (I think from somewhere on the continent) with pair of 66s on between Stoke Tunnel and Grantham. A couple of signals behind it was an EC HST. As I don't sign the ECML north of Grantham I can't be sure but I think the next loop to drop the freight into is north of Newark. The HST will be chasing double yellows all the way, even if it stops at Grantham, it'll be back on the tail of the freight before long.

The train in question will be 4E26 Dollands Moor-Scunthorpe empty steel wagons.

There are up and down loops at Claypole - about 5 miles south of Newark Northgate, so the said steel train would of been looped at Claypole to let the passenger traffic pass. The next loops after Newark are at Carlton on Trent.

• RMweb Premium

4E26  normally runs all the way to Carlton loop, then gets held for around 40 minutes.

The HST service mentioned would probably have been 1B84 which calls at Grantham and terminates at Newark.

Slight problem with that - it looks as if, according to RTT, the HST was 6 minutes in front of the freight ...

• RMweb Gold

Well im up the tyne valley today at the site of the land slip, worked one in last night with a route conductor and after rest im working in site then back to carlisle with it

As for the new camera im really struggling with it, got a few shots last night which i'll upload when i get home tomorrow but i just cant get the exposure right on manual setting, the biggest problem is the display is lacking a simple 'exposure meter' which the fujifilm had, nice and simple to see a bar moving as i adjusted the exposure time, the sony doesn't have that, just a histogram which i just cant get my head round, i'm going to try a few pics later on 'exposure setting' which ive never used on any camera, that one allows me to manually adjust the exposure length and looks to automatically adjust the focal length to suit

Im sure i'll get used to it but im kind of wishing i'd kept the fujifilm now, the other downside is after every pic the camera gives a preview of the picture which you cant turn off so if i take a pic of an approaching train then i cant quickly get another shot as it gets closer as i have to wait for the preview to go which takes a couple of seconds!

• RMweb Premium

Well im up the tyne valley today at the site of the land slip, worked one in last night with a route conductor and after rest im working in site then back to carlisle with it

As for the new camera im really struggling with it, got a few shots last night which i'll upload when i get home tomorrow but i just cant get the exposure right on manual setting, the biggest problem is the display is lacking a simple 'exposure meter' which the fujifilm had, nice and simple to see a bar moving as i adjusted the exposure time, the sony doesn't have that, just a histogram which i just cant get my head round, i'm going to try a few pics later on 'exposure setting' which ive never used on any camera, that one allows me to manually adjust the exposure length and looks to automatically adjust the focal length to suit

Im sure i'll get used to it but im kind of wishing i'd kept the fujifilm now, the other downside is after every pic the camera gives a preview of the picture which you cant turn off so if i take a pic of an approaching train then i cant quickly get another shot as it gets closer as i have to wait for the preview to go which takes a couple of seconds!

Jim, use "continuous shooting" mode, depending on model you will have between 1 and 10 frames per second shooting rate. Edited by dhjgreen