Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I can see that one perfectly Thanks. I still have no access to any of your other pictures on this thread on either of 2 PCs, a tablet or my phone (is it something I've said?) although there is no problem with any other thread that I can find.

It's either some mysterious problem with photobucket (but nobody else seems to suffer from it?) or with my ISP it seems. 

Thanks for posting the pic Jim. It helps in trying to resolve the problem although I have no solution at the moment.

I do note that the photobucket file number appears in the post (but only after about 30 - 40 seconds). Clicking on that takes me to the photobucket site and the page for the picture but it still won't open it. If I go to the main web site page it displays the main page pictures fine.

I am anxious not to divert any attention away from your pictures on this thread so just one last plea in case anyone has any ideas as to the cause of the problem. I so enjoy the pictures and comments it is not so enjoyable reading the comments but being unable to see the pics. 

Keep posting please and Thanks again for your help and in providing such an interesting thread.

Just a quick post to advise that the problem is resolved Thanks to "HeeleyBridge" of this Forum who provided the solution.

(Change DNS Server and then "flushdns" in Command prompt).

I am posting just in case anyone else experiences this sort of problem.

I am really pleased to have been helped and to be able to see Jim's pictures again - I was really missing them!

Edited by highpeakman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

i've never been able to get a shot of this gantry until today as the line was under possession, it will no doubt be history in the not too distant future

DSCF1770.jpg

Would that gantry have had semaphores on it at one time years ago?

I must have been under it dozerns of times in years gone by but never seen it before!

• Like 1

Morning Jim, as ever a lovely collection of pics. What's going on at Basford Hall? From the lovely new low fence just off the first roundabout on the new road after DRS Gresty Bridge you can just about see the fueling point (especially with no leaves on the trees) but it looks like it's being dismantled can you shed any light?

It's tempting Jim but as I went Acton bridge Saturday morning and warrington bank quay to see the empty log train yesterday afternoon I best stop in tonight. Already primed the missus about taking the little lad to hellifield Saturday morning to see the flying Scotsman. At this rate I'm going to get thrown out of the house with two bin bags, one full of clothes and another full of 00 gauge bits n bobs.

• RMweb Gold

Will they let you on Crewe Station now just to watch trains with the barriers now in operation?

Yeah as far as i know they will, barriers will be open by the time the 37 passes though, if not go along the horse landing and onto 12!

• RMweb Gold

Anyone on the wcml today might want to look out for this

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R90053/2016/01/18/advanced

37025 heading to WWH before at some point making its way to cardiff for 3 months with colas

Currently recessed in Warrington RMT - trouble at t'mill ?

• RMweb Premium

After nearly an hours rest it's off again

37025 is a few months older than me. If I was travelling that distance, I'd want an hours rest also...........................

Cheers,

Mick

im sure it did used to have semaphores on it, i'll leave it to stationmaster or brian daniels to fill the gaps in as they know an awful lot more about the area than i do

It was a GW gantry so yes it did indeed have semaphores on it. But I don't have a pic that far back of it, but I do have one of the gantry on the up at Oxford which also had semaphores on it. It is sad to say that they will be history in the near future

post-6766-0-67427100-1453156712.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

im sure it did used to have semaphores on it, i'll leave it to stationmaster or brian daniels to fill the gaps in as they know an awful lot more about the area than i do

That gantry was first brought into use during the final week of March 1942 with only some of the signals it carried actually being in use - it carried the Up Main Starting Signal for 'Oxford South' signalbox which in fact very quickly gained its proper name of Hinksey North.  When full commissioned at the end of August 1942 it had 4 dolls in use, the left hand being the No1 Up Goods Running Line Starting then 3 dolls applying to the Up Main with one reading to the No1 Up Goods Running Line, the centre one to Up Main, and the right hand one, with stencil indicator to various roads/Hinksey Yard on the Down Side.

It is I think the sole surviving example of the original pattern of GWR gantry structure using tubular steel uprights which was in any case a fairly rare style with seemingly very few installed before the final design emerged from Reading Drawing Office - I doubt if NR (or anybody else for that matter) recognises its historical significance.

Well I won't lie I never would have known the historical significance!

If it is that significant would it not be wise possibly informing NR and a few other groups such as preserved railways! So that when it is removed they it can be given to a group who could restore in and even better possibly put it back into use on a preserved line!

• RMweb Gold

37025 is a few months older than me. If I was travelling that distance, I'd want an hours rest also...........................

Cheers,

Mick

I hope you're not having as much trouble Mick - it's attempted to to get Cardiff again this morning and only managed Kings Norton where it reversed (possibly with assistance) and retreated back to Washwood Heath.

• RMweb Gold

Just one from yesterday, again nowt interesting going on!

DCAE9622-D21E-40AC-8790-B93387F2A6D3.jpg

2 more nights of it too, the plus side being at chirk you cant get 3G so ive managed to read my copy of model rail properly on my break instead of browsing rmreb

• Like 17