Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium

and that was that, tedious job tomorrow night UTU carlisle to crewe at 30 mph all the way! got 37116 on it but really hoping i get the DBSO end of the train!

Not the most comfortable of loco's to be on a night turn at 30 mph all the way has to be said!

How many times would you expect to be looped on that particular diagram at 30 MPH Jim?

I figure on it taking just under 5 hours with NO stops, but that's never going to happen is it!

Edited by Gary H
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not the most comfortable of loco's to be on a night turn at 30 mph all the way has to be said!

How many times would you expect to be looped on that particular diagram at 30 MPH Jim?

I figure on it taking just under 5 hours with NO stops, but that's never going to happen is it!

It doesn't stop much......

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H37177/2016/05/27/advanced

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

thankfully the dbso is up front from carlisle

528F7D0C-853D-4EED-B5BB-394EE33FFC2E.jpg

on my way up to carlisle earlier i went off the beaten track and tried to find a place id been looking at for years to try and get some pictures of the lune gorge, and i found it, got a few ggod pics with the proper camera but these are a couple of stills from an iphone video i captured of the logs

FC28A958-47E5-4D92-B101-6F81C91613C6_1.p

A0E6F282-D588-4F59-AB97-49390FA104C3.jpe

and here is the video, edited with splice on the iphone

https://youtu.be/8n1il85EGZQ

That's a lovely set of pictures Jim. That road up the other side of the gorge is a lovely one to drive up with great views of the railway.

Jamie

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

That's a lovely set of pictures Jim. That road up the other side of the gorge is a lovely one to drive up with great views of the railway.

Jamie

I often look across from the M6, thinking "those hills would be great to descend on a mountain bike". It's just a b&gger getting to the top of them....

Cheers,

mick

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I often look across from the M6, thinking "those hills would be great to descend on a mountain bike". It's just a b&gger getting to the top of them....

Cheers,

mick

The only time I climbed those hills I was following a rather shapely gym teacher. For some obscure reason I wasn't thinking about the gradient.

On a railway related theme though I remember a family picnic in IIRC 1960 sitting somewhere that is now under the northbound M6 watching maroon Duchesses pounding north.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Great pics glad you get chance to see the world ! Had fun at work today at expense of 6X54 at Aish glad you were in the north and I think your good employers might have a bit of fun later. Mind you XC05 did not get back from Newquay today  on 1S55, failed Roche- all ended better thanks to GWR 57605 giving a tow before heading back to PNZ for the beds ! South west rail travel a diverted and delayed adventure but at least sunny! I thnk your day was better than mine

cheers

Robert  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

so filling in some gaps,first up travelling down

dovey Jn

DSC02844.jpg

DSC02845.jpg

DSC02846.jpg

osprays in the nest

DSC02850_1.jpg

DSC02855_1.jpg

blurry 158

DSC02857.jpg

then yesterday, catching the train to Macc

DSC02877.jpg

DSC02880.jpg

and my train in macc

DSC02881.jpg

DSC02883.jpg

D4D97460-CD3D-4120-8503-401E2B803AAD.jpg

ready to go

DSC02884.jpg

and being as i wasnt driving i could get a couple of pics going across barmouth bridge

DSC02891.jpg

DSC02893.jpg

DSC02895.jpg

DSC02896.jpg

into barmouth, had to wait for a unit coming from the harlech direction

DSC02897.jpg

DSC02898.jpg

DSC02900.jpg

and eventually into pwllheli, end of the line!

DSC02901.jpg

DSC02903.jpg

DSC02905.jpg

and that was it until derby this morning

CB163070-F360-4601-ADF9-89116AC0A940.jpg

test trains everywhere

1DFC6E93-C803-4466-B7EA-4198071172E7.jpg

and thats that

Photographed that HSTT this morning at Derby.
  • Like 3

When Lynne was working on the signalling systems for CTRL Section 2 at CSEE in Paris, a couple of French lads were preparing to leave for Mach to commission the ERTMS; she spent some time teaching them how to pronounce the names to avoid upsetting the locals. She also taught a couple to sing Hen Wlad F'yn Nhadau, so that we had some moral support at Stade De France for the rugby..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When Lynne was working on the signalling systems for CTRL Section 2 at CSEE in Paris, a couple of French lads were preparing to leave for Mach to commission the ERTMS; she spent some time teaching them how to pronounce the names to avoid upsetting the locals. 

she would have been better off showing them this...

https://www.waterstones.com/book/black-country-dialect/brendan-hawthorne/9781902674513

Just a small question/thought, why does 97303 have what looks like a radioactive warning sticker next to the main headlight?

Nice photo's Jim

Ian

Edited by 11B