Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

What is that post in front of the 37 for ? It's got a signalling ID plate on the front but what is that square head for ?

Thanks, Sam

That is one of the new Peterborough LED signals, look like a Flat screen TV.

• RMweb Gold

I have sanders but didn't use them, I wouldn't have liked to have tried it on a wet rail though!

Unfortunatly were not allowed to run round the rear loco to the front prior to departure from the possession, no logistical or practical reason why we can't but a ludicrous paperwork issue, (no doubt devised by someone in an office who has never actually seen a train!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have sanders but didn't use them, I wouldn't have liked to have tried it on a wet rail though!

Unfortunatly were not allowed to run round the rear loco to the front prior to departure from the possession, no logistical or practical reason why we can't but a ludicrous paperwork issue, (no doubt devised by someone in an office who has never actually seen a train!)

I remember a night on Filton bank, Bristol probably about 17 years ago now.

One of those "special some-ones' in an office some where thought it would be OK to roster a single 37 on our ballast train that was in the region of about 800 tons to drop ballast up the bank to Bristol Parkway.

Needless to say we didn't make it to the top. 

Mind, driver made some racket trying!

In the end he had to admit defeat and we were rescued by a 47 from Barton Hill depot.

The noise of both of them from the cab of the 37 plus the red exhausts in the dark will be forever etched into my memory.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

As nice as they are to see,i can't get my head round a driver operating his own locomotives.

What would happen in the event of an incident,he would be the bloke downloading the OTMR.

• RMweb Premium

After the 47 hauling the translator vans, I've found this.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/drs20304/26822492440/in/photolist-Gsak1q-GrnfJG-GnbsbA-GSdhwd-HdYu2q-HfCBXn-Gjm7zE-GLuas7-GLtqCu-H4Wvrx-GfBTpn-GcUd4d-G2dbjR-G2dafM-FSGnpK-GQD2Ae-H7WBwa-H7TQrz-H4YmmW-GhXh9v-H3Qr2E-HcbpUz-HbTgq4-H3hJSo-H9g53i-H3xCSS

I need to dirty up my 70808 a bit more......

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

i dont want to get into the politics of how things are done to be honest, just post some pictures of pretty trains!

basford hall

DSC02738.jpg

DSC02739.jpg

DSC02740.jpg

DSC02741.jpg

then popped up to Nantwich

DSC02743.jpg

really hard for pics as the sun was on the wrong side but i managed a couple and a vid

DSC02756.jpg

DSC02759.jpg

https://youtu.be/49z0tgCk9FY

Some really nice photos there no the video is really good too. Nice to see some 50's looking in really good condition and on revenue earning service too.

The saddest sight of my childhood in railway terms was seeing 6 or 7 'redundant' class 50s in the siding on the embankment in Plymouth ready to be taken away for scrap.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Those 50’s need weathering.... totally unrealistic. :mail:

Best, Pete.

i had to wipe my feet before getting in the cab!

a taster for tomorrows pics, class 60 Warrington to Toton......

3CC5BCE9-D72C-4451-BAE8-DB4864C3F221.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

It only seems yesterday that you had to be totally clean to get in the cabs of the brand new class 60s,no dirty boots on the cab floor thank you!

• RMweb Premium

I believe that the Colas Rail helmet logo is gradually morphing into a Cricket/Baseball helmet....

Best, Pete.

Wonder if that's an intentional thing. The Colas Cricket Team. I guess they've got plenty of experience with wood to make cricket bats and stumps.

• Like 1

Interesting to see the lights have changed on the MPV. Think they are to become standard over time. There was a FL shed changed not long ago. As for the 60s one failed at Berwick on the seaham cements and was rescued by two 56s!