Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, CovDriver said:

I passed the return working this morning around Hampton in Arden as I was working a service to Northampton, I did wonder if you was working it jim ? 

Cheers 

Colin

yeah, that was me, same time same place tomorrow then?

Congrats on 300 pages Jim!! :locomotive:

On 05/02/2022 at 21:29, big jim said:

next week is toton trippers and possibly learning class 69s the week after 

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll try and get out and see you on the Stenson-Sheet Stores line at some point.

Thanks,

Jack.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

Question? Why does the rail grinder need two locos, as when you detach from it, you are at a suitable point to run round anyway?

I presume it is similar to the RHTT and PLPR trains where it is simpler to just swap ends, I presume the rail grinders are used in such a way that they do a lot of turning round?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Question? Why does the rail grinder need two locos, as when you detach from it, you are at a suitable point to run round anyway?

In addition to what others have said, for the Wessex route, it’s a requirement for it to be T’n’T. This is due to some of the locations it’s use on not being gauge cleared and there being no place to run round. Cant say it’s the same for other Routes, but it’s my understanding the contract for movement between GBRF and SCO is T’n’T. 

Cheers for the wave Jim! Quite a turnout at the 'usual' Barrow bridge (including a pole-user in my shot), but the road was closed leading up to it from my way so I had to settle for the next one along...

GBRf 66744 - 6D44, Barrow

Cheers,

Jack.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Have a great break Jim and thanks for the thread.

Quick question you seem to predominantly drive class 66 ~ do you get bored of them and hope for something else or are you quite happy with them? I think you had a bit more variation with Colas?

cheers

mark

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, big jim said:

The reason I was in it today is the train was booked via Birmingham New St station and there aren’t many of us you sign it, I must admit it was a bit touch and go as to whether I’d get up soho bank with just shy of 2000 ton but it crept up at about 8mph!

I remember an oil train getting stuck on there some years ago after a signal stop. The driver had trouble holding the train and getting started on the curves from Soho Road through Handsworth Park. He put the power on, the front end started moving but the brakes at the back hadn't released properly. A couple of tanks in the middle of the train fell over.

Up out of the tunnel at Park Street to Proof House is a bit steep (1 in 51?) but at least the train is on the downhill before you hit it. I bet it squealed a bit round the corner at Exchange Sidings. Is that still 10mph? Before it was completely reballasted and relaid in 1966 it was only 5mph.