Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

I've done the Thames cruises a few times, the views from the water are superb and after dark the city lights up and you see it in a totally different way.

The size of that cruise ship! I always thought Belfast looked big from the water! 

15 hours ago, sb67 said:

I've done the Thames cruises a few times, the views from the water are superb and after dark the city lights up and you see it in a totally different way.

The size of that cruise ship! I always thought Belfast looked big from the water! 

Big in terms of cruise ship size it’s a mere tiddler! Compared to Qm2 she is very small a would not like it across the Bay of Biscay. 

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was talking to someone today about the class 196/197 EMUs. He mentioned that drivers don't like them because of the poor visibility from the cab. 

But he also said that there are problems coupling units, partly because it has to be done "automatically" since the driver can't see the couplings from the cab; and that on one of the first attempts the closure was at 5 mph (controlled by the computer) and that led to the coupling or its housing fracturing. And then the manufacturer refused to pay for replacement even though it was a design fault.

Have you heard anything about this during your testing of 196s?

Jonathan.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 19/04/2022 at 14:29, big jim said:

IMG_4827.HEIC

Nice pic of Uncle Joe's statue (according to my ancestry research I'm possibly a 7x great grand nephew of Josiah Wedgwood.  Close enough for me to rename one of my Heljan Class 86/2s after him.  If you have a distant relly with an 86 named after them, it has to be done)

• Like 6

On 25/04/2022 at 14:52, wombatofludham said:

Nice pic of Uncle Joe's statue (according to my ancestry research I'm possibly a 7x great grand nephew of Josiah Wedgwood.  Close enough for me to rename one of my Heljan Class 86/2s after him.  If you have a distant relly with an 86 named after them, it has to be done)

Nice connection there! My family connection is a little more modern and probably saw your 86 off! (221110 / James Cook). I was rather disappointed to hear Avanti had removed the remaining Super Voyager nameplates as I was hoping to be in with a shot of acquiring that one, but sadly it had been removed and was on it's way to Auction before I found out. 

And no, sadly the sticky back plastic version on Northern Rail's 156490 didn't really appeal to me! 

Edited by surfsup

Ah Britannia somewhere in my mothers house there is a picture of me standing on the front whilst the loco was on its way either to or from the Pullman works at Preston Park. She had been put into the remains of Redhill shed I believe due to a hot box. She looks a lot better now than she did then.

Keith

• Like 1