Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Some from the last couple of days 

trafford park on friday

so hoped someone would slip on this, either that or Mario had been on the platform in his kart

IMG_4048.HEIC

saltley depot booking on point gone!

IMG_4049.HEIC

running round in Manchester 

IMG_4050.HEIC

Leamington spa

IMG_4051.HEIC

and back to nuneaton on an ex chiltern 172

IMG_4052.HEIC

and last night bescot to albrighton

IMG_4087.HEIC

IMG_4088.HEIC

IMG_4089.HEIC

albrighton

FullSizeRender(320).jpg

Back there tonight to take it back to bescot 

• Like 19

37 minutes ago, big jim said:

so hoped someone would slip on this, either that or Mario had been on the platform in his kart

IMG_4048.HEIC

That banana was up to the same tricks on the pedestrian walkway to the Glasgow Exhibition Centre last week.

No sign of Mario there either :(

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, big jim said:

Whilst being unloaded 37418 passed by en route to sinfin

FullSizeRender(325).jpg

That's the trouble with modern railways - the trains are all so long that you can't fit a realistic formation on your layout...

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

we’re not allowed in the cabin, or certainly have no access to it as it’s DB’s building, you just have to hope it’s not raining or your train isn’t delayed once the taxi drops you off!

• Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, big jim said:

we’re not allowed in the cabin, or certainly have no access to it as it’s DB’s building, you just have to hope it’s not raining or your train isn’t delayed once the taxi drops you off!

The modern railway is pretty crap isn't it. I'd have let you in though!

Right up until I retired I still went into passenger companies cabins if I needed to, had a few comments made out loud about strangers, but nobody ever had the guts to say something to my face. 

Sad when we were/are all trying to do the same job.

Edited by 101
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 101 said:

Right up until I retired I still went into passenger companies cabins if I needed to, had a few comments made out loud about strangers, but nobody ever had the guts to say something to my face. 

to be honest most real “railwaymen” would let a fellow driver/guard/whoever in, as would I

I remember when I was with colas one of the drivers went into the cabin at bescot depot for a PNB and a jumped up new manger in a suit came in and told him to leave, the reason stated being “you might see sensitive information on the notice boards” being a veteran of some 40 years on the footplate you can imagine what was said to the manager!

the only thing of note on the walls down there was normally scrawled in marker pen on the toilet walls about other drivers! 

• Like 5
  • Funny 4

14 minutes ago, big jim said:

to be honest most real “railwaymen” would let a fellow driver/guard/whoever in, as would I

I remember when I was with colas one of the drivers went into the cabin at bescot depot for a PNB…….

PNB - Particularly Nice Brew?? :D

Ps that new Saltley sign on point looks a very temporary building (like a construction site office)?? 

Love the photos - you must have a better iPhone than me - can’t get such good photos in poor light. 

• RMweb Gold

My iPhone isn’t even one of the latest ones but it’s a step up from the 8 I had before (this one is a 12) the only issue is if the Lens gets greasy you get light smear (as can be seen below)

today was a travel shift from crewe to Sevenoaks 

euston

IMG_4122.HEIC

walked across london to Charing Cross station instead of the tube as it was a nice evening 

IMG_4126.HEIC

IMG_4128.HEIC

and into Sevenoaks, as I got here 66791 went through with a stone train 

IMG_4132.HEIC

IMG_4133.HEIC

off to Tonbridge tomorrow then I’ve been asked to do a rugby to Donnington on Thursday instead of a travel shift

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, big jim said:

My iPhone isn’t even one of the latest ones but it’s a step up from the 8 I had before (this one is a 12) the only issue is if the Lens gets greasy you get light smear (as can be seen below)

today was a travel shift from crewe to Sevenoaks 

euston

IMG_4122.HEIC

walked across london to Charing Cross station instead of the tube as it was a nice evening 

IMG_4126.HEIC

IMG_4128.HEIC

and into Sevenoaks, as I got here 66791 went through with a stone train 

IMG_4132.HEIC

IMG_4133.HEIC

off to Tonbridge tomorrow then I’ve been asked to do a rugby to Donnington on Thursday instead of a travel shift

Nice to see bits of the world that I used to sign :)

Andi

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, 101 said:

The old railway was generally a friendly place. I was made welcome in loco and pway cabins in most places back in the last millennium. One occasion I was doing a preliminary survey for cabling a pole route from Bloxwich to Rugeley. We had walked the first block section to Essington Wood, intending to reach Cannock to get bus back to Walsall. The colliery trip was shunting in the sidings there. As we passed the driver asked how far we were going and offered us a ride to Hednesford. He slowed down to walking pace whenever I wanted to look at potential problems. At Hednesford he took us to the cabin for a brew. One of the other drivers said he was taking a train to Lea Hall colliery at Rugeley after lunch, did we want a ride? We checked or escape route and found we could get to Trent Valley for a convenient train to Stafford, food and an express home. The offer was gratefully accepted and we completed three days work in one. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Coming home from volunteering on both the Severn Valley and the Mid Hants Railways I have been invited to use first class by the guard.

A train with 1st class and a guard? I'll have a pint of whatever you were drinking.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

A train with 1st class and a guard? I'll have a pint of whatever you were drinking.

Virgin West Coast from Birmingham New Street to Euston had guards and first class with free snacks and tea/coffee. 

South West Trains and now South Western Railway have guards and first class between Clapham Junction and Alton.

• Informative/Useful 2