"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

I went to Monkeysarefun's link - Jeeze, don't go there, it's a youtube compilation of anabridged American Syrup.

For a country that goes to great lengths in producing hand guns that will drop a rhino at a hundred yards so that they can drop each other at point blank range on a daily basis they sure can jump to extremes - "Hey mamma, I sure miss daddy, will he be coming home this Christmas,sniff, sob, sob, sniff ? " as the kid loads his face with half a yard of chocolate cake - "I'm affraid not sweet pea, no one can survive 45 bullets in an F.B.I. shoot out, let's sing a hym and forget about daddy's bullet ridden corpse " - "OK Mom, can I order jumbo pitza with extra chocolate  topping - PLEEEEEZE ?"

Watch almost any US TV aimed at teenagers, that's enough enough to make you want to throw bricks at the tellie. I agree about Disney stuff, the TV shows seem to be recycling the same actors/actresses to such an extent that you can't tell which show you're watching, let alone the canned laughter. The films seemed to be increasingly voiced over by the same people so a penguin in one film sounds the same as a Llama in the next and a small child in the next. I usually sit in front of the TV with a book, magazine (train or Private Eye), newspaper or Ipad. I do have to work most evenings till around 9pm so miss most of the nauseating stuff and listen to music while I work. Much better.

At least with Tom Mix you knew he would always get the Baddie without killing anyone then ride off, unscathed and unruffled, into the sunset with the bimbo of the day.

But all that has changed and what we get now instead is the Cowboy equivelent to SWATT  blasting holes  wholesale into the Clancey Brothers at the OK Corall as the immaculately turned out women folk look on with a slightly furrowed brow but just enough so as not to crack the make up as William Holden shoots up the entire Mexican Army with a machine gun. 

John Wayne of course never got killed - excepting when as Davy Crockett he got deaded at the Alamo but got paid an extra million bucks for allowing the mexes to fill him full of rubber bayonets.

But the best movie, the best cast and the best scrip evert  ? Magic Roundabout where nobody rode off with Florence.

. . . . . . . . . .John Wayne of course never got killed - excepting when as Davy Crockett he got deaded at the Alamo but got paid an extra million bucks for allowing the mexes to fill him full of rubber bayonets. . . . . . . . . . .

Of course, I couldn't resist Googling that (me being me), and I know that one doesn't argue with Allan (Allan being Allan), but this chap begs to differ ...

http://www.jwaynefan.com/dukedied.html

Of course, I couldn't resist Googling that (me being me), and I know that one doesn't argue with Allan (Allan being Allan), but this chap begs to differ ...

http://www.jwaynefan.com/dukedied.html

Yeah, but I said deaded, not died, so neh.

Anyway, just caught the tail end of a Santa Claus/ cute kid movie and I swear that he was packing a Smith and Wesson under the bulge in his tunic.

What gets me is that the most violent supposedly civilized nation on the planet can turn out as many syrupy made for TV offerings and sugar coated evangelists than they can serial killers, axe murderers,  drive by shootings and gun toting school kids.

Anyway, smoke vents.

Here the 'louvres' are cut out from Evergreen siding and the framework from black styrene where in order to see where I'm supposed to be cutting, I rubbed talc into the scored marker lines.

Cheers.

Allan

post-18579-0-91376500-1415558027_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-23008500-1415558067_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Oh Allan,"let's just sing a hymn and forget about Daddies bullet riddled corpse" just cracks me up.I've just done a very difficult sum and I reckon you've been making me laugh for over 41 years now!

Laughing at your jokes mind, not your modeling that's always superb.(The windmill was an off-day so we don't need to mention that.)

On a more serious note with regard to American syrup and the propensity of Americans to commit random acts of violence,I don't know about you, but whenever I see an episode of the Walton's I always want to somehow lay my hands on an assault rifle, and mow down the lot of em,and as for those Bxxtards the Partridge family shootings too good for em.

No,if you ask me American syrup breeds violence the sooner it's banned from British TV the better!

Edit:A shudders just run through me as I've just remembered "Happy Days" and that disgusting foppish Fonz.What was that all about??

Edited by iainp
  • Like 2

Once saw an American comedy movie where a family were detained and searched where the cop found a gun in mums handbag at which she explained " Oh that, it's our first gun but we haven't used it yet "

Didn't get lines like that in Magic Roundabout.....

There was this American programm on TV called 'Lock 'n' Load where a group of enthusiasts - just ordinary mums and dads - blasting away at a rock in some desert with enough fire power to overwhelm a small continent. They were firing rocket launchers, high-tech assault rifles, armour piercing guns and you name it and all with great bursts of  " Yahoo!! some gun this aye Mabel, must get the kids one - Yahoo!!! "

And you can pick 'em all up at the corner store in any twee mid west town ." Yes sireebob, you'll find it just off the tree lined square past the church down laburnham avenue - you know, where the Waltons family were gunned down last year... Have a nice day "

• Like 2

"let's just sing a hymn and forget about Daddies bullet riddled corpse"

Now why does that remind me of that Alex Harvey song - There's No Lights On The Christmas Tree Mother, They're Burning Big Louie Tonight......

Goodnight Mom...

Goodnight Allan...

Goodnight Pop...

Goodnight Mullie...

Good...???

(Sound FX): Apache helicopter over Hellfire missile launch.

Oh F.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

To day's Family Bathrooms - priceless.

Mrs Major-Twee wants a big, big garden with fish pond and large veggie patch while Mr Major-Twee likes to ride his bike three mile everyday to pick up his morning paper.

With this spec, our presenter, and even naffer than usual, shows her a house with a massive garden that goes on forever.

"Wonderful" excites Mrs Major-Twee " And what lies beyond pray tell ?

"Borneo" replied the presenter thus exciting Mrs Major-Twee so much that she shrilled "Borneo, our very own jungle, is it for sale, how much, Harold ! - get on your bike, we're going to buy Borneo"

Then after calming down " As a matter of interest,  what part of the UK is Borneo in, is it near the seaside, how much deposit, do the locals still eat strangers and has it got a  Tesco's ? "

Funny, I think I've been there

To day's Family Bathrooms - priceless.

Mrs Major-Twee wants a big, big garden with fish pond and large veggie patch while Mr Major-Twee likes to ride his bike three mile everyday to pick up his morning paper.

With this spec, our presenter, and even naffer than usual, shows her a house with a massive garden that goes on forever.

"Wonderful" excites Mrs Major-Twee " And what lies beyond pray tell ?

"Borneo" replied the presenter thus exciting Mrs Major-Twee so much that she shrilled "Borneo, our very own jungle, is it for sale, how much, Harold ! - get on your bike, we're going to buy Borneo"

Then after calming down " As a matter of interest, what part of the UK is Borneo in, is it near the seaside, how much deposit, do the locals still eat strangers and has it got a Tesco's ? "

Funny, I think I've been there! Edited by mullie

Sheds looking good Alan,

Hi 442, St Pauls,

lol that could take him into a couple of weeks work though :-)

I haven't got St Pauls but I have a commission to do 'Chester General',  and close environs,. it will be the largest single structure I have created when its complete.

cheers

Peter

• Like 2

Blimey!  That's a relief!  Allan's been away for three days and I was worried he was coming up with a model of St. Paul's Cathedral.....................................

Actually, I was once commissioned to build St Pauls and the client, a very busy buisiness man who was always tearing about all over London, dropped me off at St Pauls with a pen, notepad and a tape measure and told me he would pick me up in an hour !!

Anyway, there was absolutely no way was I ever going to measure up St Pauls in a week let alone an hour so I went inside and got hold of a brochure in which was an illustration of the ground plan and, along with photographs of course, is all you need if you work to the 'Rule Of Thirds' - an architectural discipline where all dimensions are either a third of the dominant dimension or a division of the same again in thirds.

However, the problem that I was going to have was with the fluted dome that was later resolved by using a plastic fluted flower urn I found in the local garden center. - And I've still got it as he changed his mind and wanted Notre Dame instead !

Cheers.

Allan

Sheds looking good Alan,

Hi 442, St Pauls,

lol that could take him into a couple of weeks work though :-)

I haven't got St Pauls but I have a commission to do 'Chester General',  and close environs,. it will be the largest single structure I have created when its complete.

cheers

Peter

A step-by-step build Peter ?

Cheers.

Allan

70ft Coaler

A rather cumbersome model built out of thick card and sized timber.

Here's the carcass, not much to look at I know, but then coalers weren't exactly your Rose Cottage ! ( as on 'Family Bathrooms')

Sorry about the iffy pics. Indoor lighting and all that.

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-28183000-1416076356_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-00564500-1416076374_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-63823200-1416076387_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-49189300-1416076398_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-55257600-1416076409_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-50774700-1416076421_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-40929000-1416076446_thumb.jpg

• Like 4