"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Hi Bluebottle I'll be attending the Wakey show on the Saturday am. I usually go to the pub sometime in the afternoon.The Redoubt just down the road, although last year the landlady said the pub group might be selling the pub on, so it's probably gone down the tube by now.Send me a PM. and we can arrange to meet up if you like.

Is Banisters Fletcher's "A History of Architecture on the Comparative Method" a real book or did you just make it up.It's no good me asking Allan as I suspect he wouldn't have a clue.Bay Header Valance indeed, everybody knows it's a convex cornice, although Allan will probably say it's a flying buttress now.He's built cathedrals you know, but he doesn't like to go on about it,well not much anyway.

Convex Cornice sounds like some kind of ice cream, Bay Header Valance does at least sound like an architectural term ( which of course it is )

Cheers.

Allan

• Like 1

Convex Cornice sounds like some kind of ice cream, Bay Header Valance does at least sound like an architectural term ( which of course it is )

Cheers.

Allan

I thought Bay Header Valance sounds like a character in Beverly Hills 90210*.

*This was an American scholastic dramatic entertainment on the picture wireless, m'lud, popular among the youth of the 1980s.

Edited by C&WR

I love to see your methods Allan,sometimes try for fit, hack and hope, is the only practical method.Is the sill of the bay window "veranda" good old quarter round wooden beading?

"Quarter round" is spot on. As an architectural feature, a cornice is defined as any crowning projection on a building (Britannica, 11th edition), and the type of moulding shown in the picture below as convex or quart de rond (quarter round).

post-7286-0-16840300-1413397261.jpg

. . . . .

Is Banisters Fletcher's "A History of Architecture on the Comparative Method" a real book or did you just make it up.

. . . . .

Make it up? I'm hurt. Here it is - four guineas it cost me, a lot of money back in 1964 - in my highbrow library. 

post-7286-0-66393400-1413395864.jpg

• Like 5

"Quarter round" is spot on. As an architectural feature, a cornice is defined as any crowning projection on a building (Britannica, 11th edition), and the type of moulding shown in the picture below as convex or quart de rond (quarter round).

attachicon.gifexterior cornice.jpg

Make it up? I'm hurt. Here it is - four guineas it cost me, a lot of money back in 1964 - in my highbrow library. 

attachicon.gifbooks.jpg

I find the Beano can be just as inspiring!

Heard on Family bathrooms today

"And now for our mystery house which even has a certain ammount of mystery in itself"

"Hmm" hmmmed Mrs Naffastheyget, a half Irish, half ilegal immigrant with half a mil to spend "So what's the mystery then ?"

It's the bay window to the front elevation overlooking Dubai but only on a clear day - unlike the rest, which have convex cornices, this one has a bay header valance but because it has, it's way over your budget"

"Hmm" hmmmed Mrs Naffasthey again as Mr Naffastheyget paced out the wine cellar " So how much over budget? "

"More than you've got you old bat"

At which the show was taken off the air for good and renamed "Bay header valances of Great Britain ( and selected parts of Wales )"

Edited by allan downes

I seem to remember Mr and Mrs Bayheader-Vallance and their children Sebastien and Clara were once on Escape to the Fantasy Home by the Sea. Looking for a house in East Cheam they decided not to buy the house because it was next door to a paranoid blood donating radio ham.

Reading the above it has been a longer day than I thought- must be at least 25 hours so far!

Hi Alan, most delightful, I love the roof texture and the building sharp and crisp, when it comes to naming different parts of a structure, balustrades, corbels, I never know what relates to what so sometimes I might call a down spout a corbel just to make it sound good most people are none the wiser :-).

One of my buildings had an intermediate spectacle spout pipe, sounded great, technical and no such thing but sounded like I knew what I was on about as if it were some Architectural nicety :-)

cheers

Peter

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifbooks.jpg

Hi Alan, I think the definitive answer will be found here page 055 code 162617 refers. All the best Adrian

post-17489-0-93736900-1413457288_thumb.jpg

Think we ought to start a new thread called " Famous Sayings " and mine would be "The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco " - Mark Twain (A name he adopted from the mississipi steam boats where a man at the bow would drop a lead weighted line into the river and call "Mark Twain,20 feet etc "

My second was General Gordon ( or it might have been General Bay-Header-Valance ) on top of the battlements at Khartoun  where on seeing the enemy taking up firing positions several hundred yards outside of the walls he turned to his second in command and said " They couldn't hit a barn door from that dist  - ARGH !!!"

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifbooks.jpg

Wonderful to see such an eclectic mix of reading matter.  Banister?  Hmmm, didn't he do another volume on stairs, or was that his sister, Minnie?             

• Like 1

Re the second, I thought it was [uS] General John Sedgwick about Confederate sharpshooters, "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." (Spotsylvania, 1864). 

Yes, I'm up for that Allan. 

As is my wont, I went to Wikipedia to check, and the first search page included:

Elephants are in danger - Help us stop elephant killing now

Donate today to make a difference

Obviously, General Sedgwick was responding to the anxiety of his adjutant, a supporter of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

• Like 1

Obviously, General Sedgwick was responding to the anxiety of his adjutant, a supporter of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

You are correct in your assertion Bluebottle.(as always).Although not widely known the forces of the American Union,like Hannibal,did in fact use elephants in their line of battle and General Sedgwick was merely responding to the anxiety of his adjutant.Whether his adjutant was an early supporter for the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty To Animals has always been more open to conjecture and to this day some uncertainty still remains.

Sadly, subsequent events proved the validity of General Sedgwick's tactical assessment, when  Confederate sharpshooters missed the elephants and hit him.

Reference citation:The Boys Own Book of the Comparative Method.Vol 1.Page 1317 Paragraph 3.

Edited by iainp

You are correct in your assertion Bluebottle.(as always).Although not widely known the forces of the American Union,like Hannibal,did in fact use elephants in their line of battle and General Sedgwick was merely responding to the anxiety of his adjutant.Whether his adjutant was an early supporter for the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty To Animals has always been more open to conjecture and to this day some uncertainty still remains.

Sadly, subsequent events proved the validity of General Sedgwick's tactical assessment, when the Confederate sharpshooters missed the elephants and hit him.

Reference citation:The Boys Own Book of the Comparative Method.Vol 1.Page 1317 Paragraph 3.

Wargamers are of the firm belief that elephants were used in the American Civil War, pointing out that the leading U.S. publisher of board wargames*, in their game covering the Battles of Chickamauga & Chattanooga, provide elephant pieces and detailed rules for their deployment. For instance, it is stated that when an elephant unit is eliminated, there is a chance that surviving individual elephants from the destroyed unit may go berserk, and casualties inflicted by rampaging elephants do generate victory points for the Confederate player. Sceptics deny this as proof, however, claiming that wargamers have an inordinate fondness for war elephants, and that some even go so far as to divide wargames into two distinct categories: One with elephants and the other with no elephants.

*http://www.avalanchepress.com/elephants_cc.php

Edited by bluebottle

Many a true word said in jest Bluebottle! What a fascinating link, it looks like the elephants almost certainly came from Siam then, and although in 1893 in Laos they,"proved terribly vulnerable to both artillery and rifle fire" in 1864 North America it was a different story and it was the generals who were found to be so.

PS.I've never been into wargaming in the past thinking it was a nerdy interest, a bit like model trains, but having read your link I could see myself quite getting into it.Rampaging elephants and toy soldiers could be right up my street.

Edited by iainp