Whittaker St, Western Region

Andrew P

post-9335-0-06751800-1430685770_thumb.jpg

My interest in Railways both real and Model came in 1977 and living near Portsmouth as I did at the time, it was trips to Fratton, Chichester, (in my work Lunch Hour) and Fareham that I saw many 33's 47's and 50's all in banger Blue, so this is a chance to re create the period if not an actual location.

My first love is Shunting and Whittaker St should provide plenty of action, especially with the Freight only Branch workings as well.

As with most of my Layouts the name has to have a personal meaning and so Whittaker comes from my wife's Maiden Name.

The Track plan is a fairly simple one as seen below but in the following pages you will see that this isn't my first choice Plan, but is now the FINAL PLAN.

post-9335-0-37270700-1431888880_thumb.png

One thing I forgot to post so adding a couple of days late is the size, the scenic section is 12ft long and 2ft wide at the fiddle yard end and and 3ft at the Terminus.

post-9335-0-56517000-1430846929_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-80899400-1430846942_thumb.jpg

The Fiddle yard is 5.5ft X 2FT.

Track laying commenced yesterday and so far all the junction is laid, (that's 8 points done) and all with track droppers and wired ready for the point motors. 

I will post some more pics  soon, and I hope you enjoy it along with me.

• RMweb Gold

Comming together nicely. Now you know where it is and what traffic you want it is making sense to you. I will be interested to see how it turns out. Perhaps you can run the odd steam special enthusiasts working just for me :locomotive:

Don

Comming together nicely. Now you know where it is and what traffic you want it is making sense to you. I will be interested to see how it turns out. Perhaps you can run the odd steam special enthusiasts working just for me :locomotive:

Don

A Black 5 or Clan Line maybe? nice idea Don, I do like the idea of that, it will make a nice change and not look silly, especially if I can get a 47 tagged on the rear.

Right! Got me feet up. Coffee and buns to hand. TV turned off! Go for it our kid! :locomotive:

Regards

Bill

PS: Though I'm tempted by a Black 5 (home ground stalwarts!) Clan Line does sound much more appropriate! Lovely machines!

• RMweb Premium

A Black 5 or Clan Line maybe? nice idea Don, I do like the idea of that, it will make a nice change and not look silly, especially if I can get a 47 tagged on the rear.

Surley it has to be something copper capped?

Surley it has to be something copper capped?

I do have some Panniers / Prairies, and a Hymek! but a nice Hall or Manor would go down well, Looks like I need to start saving up again, ahhaha.

• RMweb Gold

I had 6024 in mind

Don

I like the concept. A cracker of a design. In my imagination the siding into what is now the oil depot used to continue on to the Gunwharf Quays.

The street names are a bit confusing as they have changed since the 1890s.

post-6959-0-55906700-1430706888.png

Cheers

David

Name Change to Whittaker St.

Well Ferry St just didn't do it for me, and now as I try to name my Layouts with a Family meaning I have gone for Whittaker St, Whittaker being my Wife's Maiden Name, and I have also left its location more vague as again I felt I was tying myself down as I did with Bitton.

Thanks Guys for all supporting me again.

• RMweb Premium

Fifteen posts - now sixteen - and 8 followers in less than 12 hours and not a mention of gr*ss or even s*u*a*e*. That's the way to do it.

It all looks good so far Andy, I'm sure it will be another stunner from you.

Hi all, Here are some pics of the first points laid last night, off out now to do a bit more, I should get this board done today all being well and then I can lay the Platforms.

post-9335-0-31275500-1430728898_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-84858600-1430728904_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-89593300-1430728911_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-65442200-1430728921_thumb.jpg

Here we go again. Watching you and Larry change your minds, rip it all up and start again leaves me so tired I never actually get around to finalising my own plans and getting something running.

*Deckchair, popcorn, notebook

• RMweb Gold

Do you this you could change the thread name to AndyP's layout  Today's name is xxxxx  . I would be able to spot is easier :jester: :jester: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Whatever you call it doesn't matter it is having a sense of the traffic flows that designs the layout and brings it to life.

Don

attachicon.gifBlue and Modern Diesels 007.JPG

My interest in Railways both real and Model came in 1977 and living near Portsmouth as I did at the time, it was trips to Fratton, Chichester, (in my work Lunch Hour) and Fareham that I saw many 33's 47's and 50's all in banger Blue, so this is a chance re create the period if not an actual location.

My first love is Shunting and Whittaker St should provide plenty of action, especially with the Freight only Branch workings as well.

As with most of my Layouts the name has to have a personal meaning and so Whittaker comes from my wife's Maiden Name.

The Track plan is a fairly simple one as seen below.

attachicon.gifWhittaker St TRACK PLAN.png

Track laying commenced yesterday and so far all the junction is laid, (that's 8 points done) and all with track droppers and wired ready for the point motors. 

I will post some more pics  soon, and I hope you enjoy it along with me.

Morning Andy,

Why not produce a small version of Fareham, its a small yard , and a junction towards the north to go to Southampton, and a north to towards Eastleigh, could have a few possibilities there i think

Regards Jeff

Morning Andy. Glad to see that the track plan and title are finalised (possibly).

It looks like full steam ahead (I don't know how you'd describe it with blue boxes). Just please don't do too much at a time please.

It looks like full steam ahead (I don't know how you'd describe it with blue boxes). Just please don't do too much at a time please.

Duncan - "full clag ahead" doesn't quite have the same ring to it!

Andy - this is just a pointless post to make sure your layout keeps popping up in my "New Content", sorry!

Archived