Cornish hedges in Spring around Helston

I am looking at modelling part of the Helston branch in N Gauge, but would like some pictures of Cornish hedges in spring to see what colours and plants are involved. The layout will be based in March / April towards the end of the lines passenger operations.

Please can anyone help.

• RMweb Gold

If only you'd asked a couple of months ago....

Basically, damp colours, so darker matt greens, daffodils everywhere (wild and in fields), some gorse, but not very yellow (quite striking today when I went for a walk !).

Stu

Various searches on Flikr will give results in colour. Weather dependant, basically the season starts with the browns and faded greens of winter's bare branches, old grass etc. First out is fresh grass and yellow Celindine. Then comes the Daffodils followed by new tree leaves. Then comes the Dandelions and white Blackthorn flower with yellow Gorse. By now it should be late april. Then comes the rest of the tree leaves ( Oak,Ash ) with Bluebells and whitebells with the odd pink Campion. By mid may the white mayflower of the Hawthorn should be in out full along with white Hedge Garlic and various Cow Parslies. 

In shelterd spots, this should happen earlier than wilder places. My daily HN to PZ run has summer arriving a week earlier at the Marizion bypass than anywhere else due to the shelter of Pine trees ! By June, the greens are not so bright. The orange of a bulb i cant spell but begins with M should start to appear.

Unless of course the sun stays away - i saw ny first Swallow only on may 7 this year and only TWO butterflies have been seen - disasterous.

There is a complete helston branch photographic walk from several years back somewhere online and an O gauge layout is on the circuit.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Please could anyone take a picture of gorse in flower around Helston to help gauge the green as it varies around the country?

Also a picture of a none flared hedge in the flower? 

Thank you in advance for any assistance that can be offered.

• RMweb Premium

Would you be happy with gorse near Redruth instead? If so I'll take a couple of pics in the sunshine tomorrow. 

Not noticed any of the hedges in flower yet down here, I think every things been blown away.

• RMweb Premium

Photos taken, just need to download and process them, so they should be up later this evening.

The Gorse is smelling lovely and coconutty today  :no:

• RMweb Premium

Right, back from the beach. 

These photos were taken about 2pm looking North(ish). 

The site is part of an old mine and the ground is stuffed full of mining waste that is only a few inches below the surface. 

This was part of a much larger stand of gorse that was partially removed last summer. In places the gorse is 10-15ft tall. 

The smaller gorse bush is regrowth from last year. 

post-163-0-09329900-1394299809_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-41393700-1394299811_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-58849100-1394299816_thumb.jpg

"When gorse is in blossom, kissing's in season"

Not such bad news, as most gorse south of Scotland is a mix of the common gorse (flowering from January to June) and the western gorse(flowering July to December) - or in the south and east dwarf gorse, also flowering July to December.

From Richard Mabey, Flora Britannica.1996

• RMweb Gold

Not a comment about colour, but size.

A friend and I made a visit to Helston many years ago (to sample beer at what was then a rare home-brew pub). We travelled from Penzance by double-deck bus and enjoyed superb views from the top deck. The hedges are big and the roads set down between banks/walls on which the hedges are planted. If we had not been on a double-deck bus, we would have seen nothing.

There is quite a lot of gorse on the low moors around the golf course here......if i remember that far ahead Ill take a picture sometime in July when in might flower :D

Don't forget the occasional foxgloves that flower along the hedgerows later in the Spring.

Hi

Looked back at some pictures taken near Redruth on 30 Mar '08.

The first picture is taken from Ladd's Bridge looking towards Camborne....The concrete works are on the right hand side

post-7844-0-04670600-1394482695_thumb.jpg

159106 doing the honours on a Sunday only service to Waterloo from Penzance...

Then looking towards Redruth

post-7844-0-72208500-1394482773_thumb.jpg

& then from the bridge in the last picture looking back to Ladds Bridge

post-7844-0-69342200-1394482733_thumb.jpg

Not quite Helston & certainly not managed cuttings .but they do show gorse in a natural growing environment....

On other pics all trees are leafless & there is loads of last years dead growth.....

Looking at the trees today the sycamore is just about thinking of bursting into life, but that's quite early.....

From memory Foxgloves appear later...June I think....

Hope these are of use...

Cheers Bill

Hi

Had a further delve & found these......Taken on 31 5 '09

Foxgloves,buttercups & hawthorne in full bloom....

post-7844-0-52204900-1394485187_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-50176700-1394485229_thumb.jpg

This would be late spring early summer......

The problem with spring is it is really a time when plants are springing to life rather than having sprung,so what Stubby47 says a lot earlier about dull subdued colours is about right.....with few a few exceptions of course ie.gorse,daffodils,wild garlic.....

Archived