DCC sound in a Dapol Western

Sam*45110*SVR

I've been thinking about getting a Dapol western (the D1062 Western Courier ltd edition) and I would want to get it fitted with DCC sound. There are several places that I've found that do the decoders with the sound files on that I've found. South west digital, olivias and howes, my first question is they all use ESU decoders but is there any difference in the sound files on them, if so which is considered best?

My second question is what size speaker does the dedicated space take ?

Sorry if there is a similar topic out there but if there is I couldn't find it!

Thanks, Sam

• RMweb Premium

I believe legomanbiffo is doing a Western soon. It was dependent on when D1062 came out of winter hibernation and run up. I'm pretty sure Bif will be doing this to his usual high standards.

I may then be tempted to do D1015...........

Over to you Bif!

Cheers,

Mick

As far as I was aware SWD got the rights to record the 52 on the SVR, as I was trying for Bif to get in there.

so it wouldn't surprise me if that's been done and for now, SWD are the defacto 52 standard for DCC sound.

Wow thanks for replying DapolDave. South west digital it is then. Do you know what size speaker fits best in the space? Do you know when the D1062 ltd edition is arriving too ? Sorry for asking so many questions as I'm sure you get a lot of the same ones !

Thanks, Sam

• RMweb Gold

As far as I was aware SWD got the rights to record the 52 on the SVR, as I was trying for Bif to get in there.

so it wouldn't surprise me if that's been done and for now, SWD are the defacto 52 standard for DCC sound.

How can anyone have the "rights" to a sound?, seems like the WLA, (or whoever owns the wezzie), were a bit premature.

Have to get Bif down there wired for sound like the police do when extracting confessions.

Mike.

Howes have a Western sound project too. I originally bought a SWD one for my Heljan Western but, while the sounds were very good, I found the driving experience painful and tedious, as SWD forced one to drive to the sounds.

I had the decoder reblown by Howes and was much happier with it. The sounds now follow the throttle openings and driving style I like. I posted a video some time back here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/333-dcc-sound-videos/?p=4222

Both SWD and Howes will be using LokSound v4s nowadays; mine is an older v3.5 decoder.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, has anyone used the Zimo Decoder with the Digitrains Class 52 file? I have a SWD version which I like but was looking for variety - at a reasonable cost!!

This ZIMO sound project has recently (ie in the last few days) been updated, and is now much more responsive to control inputs than almost anything you will have heard before, on any decoder. So make sure you ask for the the DigiDrive E V2.0 if you do decide to buy.

I've heard the SWD version and I can definitely say it will provide that bit of variety you are looking for!

I know a couple of people on here who have this version; hopefully they will be along shortly with their views.

Kind regards,

Paul

I have the Zimo Class 52 sound file and VERY pleased with it....It's not a multi drive version but as Paul has commented above the latest version....

The options to drive it is up to YOU but you are offered through CV265 the option of full thrash at a much lower speed value...

I can only say leaving CV265 at 101 is fine with me.....This latest version is ULTRA sensitive to control to give you a scenario...The whizzo is nicely ticking over...The guard blows his whistle, driver toots his single horn ( f3 ) ( classic western sound )...You throttle to speed step 10-15 ( of 128 ) the brake releases and the revs increase a little...Now YOU have the option of slowly increasing the speed steps until the next speed ramp OR you can bring the engine note back to idle by nudging the throttle back ONLY one speed step!!!!!

The sound slowly starts to mellow back to an idle tick over...The other way is to use a function key ( f6)...This does the same........

You want that Western singing it's heart out...Ok......We dab the throttle up one and it starts to purr again keep increasing it and it starts to sing at around speed step 28 or so on my NCE powercab...The sound to full revs is a lengthy transition and sounds impressive...

At any time you can again use the throttle back by one to lower the revs or by using function f6...

I've not had the chip very long but I'm having such a fine time driving it...

If you need any more information, ask in this thread or contact me.

Regards

D421

Hi D421,

Hoping to come over to your club tomorrow with Jamie, if its ok I'll bring a few sound Loco's, would love to here your Western too.

Ray.

Sure Ray, No problem......Look forward to seeing and hearing your locos.

Regards

D421

Hi Martin, Sadly don't have a video camera....Friends have phones that can record but not sure what the quality ( sound wise ) and how to upload....Will try next week.

Any help appreciated....

Regards

D421

^^^ if recorded on something like an iphone or Samsung Galaxy the recording should be pretty reasonable.  Getting it from the phone to the thread is another problem...well for me it would be!

Good luck, hope you can post something.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

Zimo 21 pin decoder,capacitor, and recommended sound speaker in Dapol D1056.Sorry no time as yet to make a video. Big picture I know but should act a  good detailed guide. Capacitor solder pads are underneath the chip, all nicely shown in the enclosed instructions.

Edit, speaker dimensions are 22 x 58 x 9.3.

Best regards

Sultan

gallery_9581_2808_270584.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I ordered a Western Class 52 directly from Dapol over the weekend, which will be fitted with a sound decoder as soon as it arrives.

I purchase my sound decoders from Howes and have just installed their GWR Castle Sound Decoder in one of mine, and I was very pleased with the results. It was on a par with the Hornby factory version, and if not slightly more realistic. I understand that their Western Class 52 sound is very good - they also recommend a rectangular speaker which they also stock for such installations.

I had a conversation with one of their engineers today, who gave me lots of advice on choosing and installing decoders in a range of locomotives, and as a direct result of talking with him, he gave me great confidence to carry on and upgrade all of my fleet with sound.

Hi Guys,

Dapol WESTERN FEEDBACK - I have just taken delivery of the Dapol Western Class 52 plus a matching LokSound V4 Sound Decoder from Howes Models Ltd.

The speaker wires from the decoder were not long enough to reach the speaker receptacle, but as I needed to change the speaker from the default round version to a rectangular one, this was easily resolved by soldering extension wires to the existing wires attached to the decoder, then soldering the new lengths to the rectangular speaker, which slots nicely into a ready made speaker bay.

The initial test did somewhat take my breath away, the diesel tick-over sound is quite loud and the direction lights worked perfectly. The various other functions including two-tone horns, and other related sounds, just brought the whole model to life for me. That familiar diesel hydraulic growl as it began to move, really did conjure up memories of the Westerns I used to watch in Devon during the early 60's with my grandfather.

To say that I am smitten by this particular locomotive is a bit of an understatement, and although the overall cost the locomotive and decoder is quite expensive, the finished product for me is perfect, and I may well purchase a second one for my 1950-60s planned layout.

I just hope that the new Bachmann Warship meets similar expectations, as Howes also has a really good Warship Sound Decoder to match,

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have two of my Heljan Westerns fitted with Loksound / SWD multistart, and the Dapol Westerns fitted with zimo MX644D and capacitor and digitrains sound.

The Dapol is deigned to accommodate the DCC supplies bass reflex speaker, which sounds fantastic. The current digitrains sound file is not a multistart like Southwest, but does have finer engine response sounds to throttle control, in my opinion. The multi start on southwest isn't as good as their Class 37 with cold start; its just an extra repetition of the first engine startup, for the second engine (which to be fair is what it sounds like in real life). There is a failed start on south west, not on digitrains.

I regret neither chip; both sound like a Thousand, but I find the combination of Zimo/Bass reflex better in the Dapol, Loksound v4/southwest with Bass Enhanced speaker better in Heljan.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,I have had a Dapol N gauge Western since they came out,mine is in BR blue livery and is ripe for a sound decoder installation.It may be a bit fiddly,what with all the lighting plugs but is very do-able.I do my own sound decoder installs and have quite a number of sound fitted loco's,dmu's and hst's.I have been waiting for a suitable Western sound decoder and as I use both Zimo MX 648 and ESU Loksound v4micro's,I am happier using Zimo's.Now I know there is a Western with the rather excellent Digidrive project,that is the one I will be going for.I have a Farish class 24 and class 37 using the Digidrive project and find them absolutely first class.I only wish they were available with Paxman Valenta sounds for the hst and an appropriate soundfile for the Deltic.I require a bit of variation in my sounds for obvious reasons,I don't want all ny trains to sound alike,after all,each loco as it aged,developed its own characteristics.

My latest sound installs are a Farish Deltic with Legomanbiffo's sounds on a Loksound v4micro with a twin CT sugarcube speaker set up and a Dapol hst,again,with Legomanbiffo's Valenta sounds and twin speakers in the dummy powercar and just a single one in the powered end.An additional speaker will be fitted in the guards area of the powered,powercar when I can get hold of some more speakers in order to even out the discrepancy between the two.

The twin speakers in the dummy powercar overwhelm the powered end somewhat,but nevertheless,it sounds brilliant.Fir N gauge anyway.

I am looking toward other sound projects currently for a Farish class 66,20 and Peak so I have some decisions to make soon.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I just hope that the new Bachmann Warship meets similar expectations, as Howes also has a really good Warship Sound Decoder to match,

Yes the Howes warship chip is good but it wont be spot on for the 43 - different engine and transmission, but like you we will live with it!

Cheers

Phil

Archived