Weymouth Quay

Brings back memories of 1976 for me. I remember the keep clear area was painted yellow lines on the road, but cars still used to block the trains way and I rememeber one evening a car being bounced out of the way by a couple of large railwaymen.  1976 was the end of my childghood love of railways, girls became more interesting from that point on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And one of the 'conserved' remains of the Swanage quayside horse-drawn tramway (not connected to the main system) which was once used to move locally quarried Purbeck stone to the harbour jetty, now almost all gone.

attachicon.gifP1000982.JPG

Looks like Playland are set up for rail deliveries, then!  ;)

Not sure when the last train to run over the Weymouth Quay Tramway was....

May 1999, I think. The local council now own the route, so - knowing their notoriety -  don't expect any resurrection of rail services ever again.

I will be back in Weymouth later in the year, performing with a friend in the Weymouth Carnival.

Whilst in Dorset last week I took some photos of what's left of the Weymouth Quay branch. The road signs look surprisingly new though!

What's interesting is that what's left of the harbour branch seems to be virtually all of it apart from a couple of long disused sidings including the short loop that served the cargo loading stage a few metres before the harbour station. Thanks for posting these. Since we were told that the branch was going to be removed or at least filled in before the Olympics it seems to be in surprisingly good health.

I did get to travel on the branch once in the mid 1960s en route to a scout camp in Guernsey and have walked it several times since. It would be great and possibly not impossible to see a train on it again. Does anyone have any idea what the substructure of the branch is (wooden sleepers?) and what sort of state it's in?

Sadly, the not dissimilar harbour branch in Dieppe has been removed almost without a trace along with its gare Maritime and it would be a shame if the Weymouth tramway suffered the same fate.  

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

WR and SR DMU units have appeared at Weymouth Quay on occasions.  3H units have worked rail tours and WR types have worked tours and a very few scheduled or chartered (i.e. special but not railtour) trains at times.  AFAIK the tramway no longer receives any form of maintenance and is effectively closed to all traffic but because of the rails set in the road the warning signs must remain.  They would have been renewed for the Olympics which may account for them looking new.

I'm afraid my photos of 3H (1131?) are not yet scanned onto the system and are in any case low-resolution prints from equally indifferent negatives.

Guest oldlugger

Great photos Rod and roundhouse. The most surprising thing your photos show Rod, is the point leading into the main harbour platform (by the ferry); just where the sign says "Sea Cruises" the piece of track leading off the point on the right is incredibly sharp; it's hard to imagine class 33s and occasional 73s being able to negotiate this (as they did) without derailing. In all the times I've visited the tramway (I used to live in Dorset) going back to the time of class 03 shunters, I'd never noticed this (dog leg?) before.

All the best

Simon

Edited by oldlugger

Guest oldlugger

Does anyone have any photos of the far end of the tramway; i.e. the end of the line at the ferry terminal. Overgrown/disused photos would be of particular interest looking towards the buffers and pointing back towards the terminal. This area doesn't appear very often when references are made to this fascinating relic.

Cheers

Simon

Guest oldlugger

A nice view in 1976 of the station and a BR ferry:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rgadsdon/4256656272/

Curiously, when I was visiting Barcelona several years ago, a large white car ferry steamed into the busy port there; a reliable boat enthusiast contact of mine informed me that it was one of the former BR ferries from Weymouth purchased by a Spanish operator (I forget which name it was in BR times). When I saw it in Spain I had no idea that I'd seen the boat before in Dorset! Had I known I'd have taken more photos of it.

• Like 1

Guest oldlugger

And I've just found this view of the very end of the line, which I've never seen before:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22420011@N05/2274604214/lightbox/

Plus these:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13706945@N00/6650067063/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13706945@N00/6547109995/lightbox/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13706945@N00/6547190957/lightbox/

The ferry in the background is the "Cornouailles" (Breton for "Cornwall") and later named "Havelet":-

http://www.ferryfantastic.webs.com/havelet.htm

Edited by oldlugger
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

What's interesting is that what's left of the harbour branch seems to be virtually all of it apart from a couple of long disused sidings including the short loop that served the cargo loading stage a few metres before the harbour station. Thanks for posting these. Since we were told that the branch was going to be removed or at least filled in before the Olympics it seems to be in surprisingly good health.

I did get to travel on the branch once in the mid 1960s en route to a scout camp in Guernsey and have walked it several times since. It would be great and possibly not impossible to see a train on it again. Does anyone have any idea what the substructure of the branch is (wooden sleepers?) and what sort of state it's in?

Sadly, the not dissimilar harbour branch in Dieppe has been removed almost without a trace along with its gare Maritime and it would be a shame if the Weymouth tramway suffered the same fate.  

Thats one of the big problems - nobody has any idea what the condition of the sleepers are like (I believe that they are indeed wooden burried under tarmac) and therefore nobody is willing to allow anything down there in case it comes off the rails.

There also is the point that while pedestrians and trams do mix in city centre,s part the reason it works is that the trams are frequent so people, and indeed other road traffic gets used to their presence. Unless the Weymouth quay branch gets interoperated into some sort of light rail system, the risks of mixing people and 'occasional' mainline trains on Weymouth's busy quaysides will not be tolerated by the ORR / HSE

While it would be nice to retain the tracks themselves as some sort of memorial to the past this does not come without risks. Steel rails present as hazard to cyclists (even if the flange ways are filled in) and the presence of the railway compromises the strength of the road surface (and drainage) leading to dips and trip hazards. It also makes utility works a bit of a pain so in the long run I can see why Dieppe opted for complete removal

The Picture with the tanks in the siding is interesting. There seem to be few pictures of freight trains in BR Blue on the branch. 

Alas my visit  to travel on the branch in the late 80's was thwarted by cars blocking the route and the train terminating.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Its a shame some sort of 'parry people mover' service couldn't be run down there in conjunction with the weymouth eye etc

We went to weymouth back in february and i wanted to have a look at the old line but it was so cold after our visit to the sealife centre we just got a bus back to the town centre and got the train back to the holiday camp!!

I wonder how this line was worked? There seem to be lots of potentially facing points: were they locked? Were they controlled from a signal box? Was there a tablet or staff or was it just done on line of sight and speed low enough to stop before an obstacle? I suppose that must have been the case in order to avoid stupidly parked cars.

I must declare an interest. In my imagination, Humber Dock is operated in the same way as the Weymouth tramway but I have no idea how!

Ian