Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

To the left of the signal box is now some rough hard standing

med_gallery_17883_2760_394930.jpgrmweb2012kalboro5

and a quick overview of this area

med_gallery_17883_2760_338222.jpgrmweb2013kalboro6

the later work on the back has not been carried out at the time of tho picture....so squinting won't give away any clues  :sungum:

• Like 5

Around this time I was waiting for the signal box area to dry and Kal pointed out that he would prefer the Kalboro platforms to be a darker colour.......

no soon said....then acted on.....

some thinned black paint and the two front platforms got attacked

med_gallery_17883_2760_381468.jpgrmweb2014kalboro7

Kal quite rightly pointed out it dried a bit streaky

med_gallery_17883_2760_169268.jpgrmweb2015kalboro8

So another coat was stippled on

med_gallery_17883_2760_308242.jpgrmweb2016Kalboro9

and whilst I was painting Kal wandered off to get a whole load of track paints......and returned with fresh supplies. Phoenix Precision, Railroad Match, Model Mates, Humbrol, and anything that looked interesting.

I use a weather black to hand paint the edge of the rails, Kal said looks dark.....and I pointed out I never meant it as a finished coloured. He muttered about my hand painting....and came back just after we had agreed on these two colours for the wooden sleepers. Railmatch acrylics, sleeper grime and roof dirt.

He returned with the airbrush, and started investigating the colours for something suitable for the concrete sleepers.

Not overly impressed with my hand work

med_gallery_17883_2760_300093.jpgrmweb2017kalboro10

He started testing small amounts of colours.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

If nobody else is going to say it, I will have to. It's hugely unlikely that a Signalbox would be on top of a hill rather than trackside, if for no other reason than how would the rodding have been operated. Can it be replaced with a small factory or some other structure, and the one in earlier photos be left at rail height, modelled as unused? The modern (Southern ?) one could be placed at the other end of the station.

med_gallery_17883_2760_762906.jpgrmweb2018kalboro11

various colours are being added as well test out the choices, and in the meantime more and more of the bare shiny metal disappears under layers of paint.

med_gallery_17883_2760_610510.jpgrmweb2019kalboro12

• Like 2

We had gone off to bed. And the next day I was upstairs whilst Kal was struggling to work without a bona fide internet connection. So whilst I was waiting for his input over the track colouring I started this.....

An extension to the raised area

med_gallery_17883_2760_333426.jpgrmweb2020kalboro13

med_gallery_17883_2760_26486.jpgrmweb2021kalboro14

an extended road, and a layby

coloured and placed in position, and then some sawing so they sat tight together, top far left

med_gallery_17883_2760_79144.jpgrmweb2022kalboro15

again the sharp eyed will note that some of the building off the back of Kalboro are now sat at the front near where the new work is being carried out

the 'rocks' at the back are merely coloured because the plain PIR has a horrible tend any to shine, and some ballast sprinkled to cover the MDF board, and some greenery added for effect

med_gallery_17883_2760_492252.jpgrmweb2023kalboro16

about now Kal is looking down at the track work and pointing out this are is just screaming to be concreted. Meantime we have a NEW ROAD!!!!

• Like 4

med_gallery_17883_2760_569609.jpgrmweb2024kalboro17

testing the vehicles for size

med_gallery_17883_2760_556936.jpgrmweb2025kalboro18

a new picture means an update....but for the life of me I can't remember why  :jester:

anyway as an aside, taking Sandside / Jasons point on the rodding....... there is plenty of room if required for something else to be sat here.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Jaz & Kal,

Glad to see you back.  Look forward to updates while I have internet myself which may be a bit intermittent over the next few days.

Hope your dad is ok.

This is the tracks which were painted some time ago....some green has been added but no colour

med_gallery_17883_2760_322456.jpgrmweb2026kalboro19

med_gallery_17883_2760_420280.jpgrmweb2027kalboro20

and whilst a certain person had got the airbrush out he attacked a vehicle or two.Post van was his first target

med_gallery_17883_2760_285544.jpgrmweb2028kalboro21

• Like 4

around this time i started playing with the blinds to see the effect of the light through the chemical containers

med_gallery_17883_2760_400549.jpgrmweb2029kalboro22

med_gallery_17883_2760_188745.jpgrmweb2030kalboro23

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

Jaz & Kal,

Glad to see you back.  Look forward to updates while I have internet myself which may be a bit intermittent over the next few days.

Hope your dad is ok.

it was just a normal appointment, i asked for him to see the doctor as well because the hernia is getting bigger.....they added the foot appointment. He is really doing fine.

Sory to hear about the intermittent internet connection....I can REALLY sympathise. Never ralisd just how much i google.......

• RMweb Gold

it was just a normal appointment, i asked for him to see the doctor as well because the hernia is getting bigger.....they added the foot appointment. He is really doing fine.

Sory to hear about the intermittent internet connection....I can REALLY sympathise. Never ralisd just how much i google.......

Jaz,

Glad he is ok.  I hope they can do his hernia without too much fuss.

The internet problem is my fault and will be resolved by next Tuesday.  I am not getting much modelling done either.  You are right though, I google everything as well.

Hi Jaz, Kal. Glad to see you have the internet back. Looks like you have been really busy with AV. I am no longer a student but have a job as a software developer (at least for a 3 month trial).  I can sympathise with your  lack of internet. The firm I joined are in the process of moving office and do not have an active internet connection. Currently access to the internet is achieved using the boss's phone connected to a 3G network as a wireless hotspot- hopeless for large software downloads. I don't know which has been  worse: the lack of internet, or lack of seating / computers in the move to the new office. This has meant using local parks and coffee shops as the office, and working on laptops.

• Like 1

Hi Jaz, Kal. Glad to see you have the internet back. Looks like you have been really busy with AV. I am no longer a student but have a job as a software developer (at least for a 3 month trial).  I can sympathise with your  lack of internet. The firm I joined are in the process of moving office and do not have an active internet connection. Currently access to the internet is achieved using the boss's phone connected to a 3G network as a wireless hotspot- hopeless for large software downloads. I don't know which has been  worse: the lack of internet, or lack of seating / computers in the move to the new office. This has meant using local parks and coffee shops as the office, and working on laptops.

finishing and getting a job straight off.....real achievement.....even if a trial you'll get valuable experience.....even this shows u how to cope. Be grateful the park is sunny nd warm, had it been autumn or spring you might be shivering in the rain.

• Like 1

Working outside would not have been half as good if cold or wet. The only problem we had was that the sun was too bright to see the laptop screens. I was really fortunate with the job. The firm came and held an event at uni to search for talent (2 days after my last exam). The firm looked great to work for so I applied to work with them. I got an interview the following week and started work with them the week after. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Kalborough is looking great.

Will come back and catch up with todays posts later. Am off to take the pups for a hike around the mountain while there's still cloud cover.

Squatch. Am happy that you had your connection fixed at last!!

Welcome back - just imagine the boredom if you had no Internet and you also hadn't had the layout to work on! Changes are looking great - looking forward to more updates.

Boredom was a killer.......I did read several books, to help pass the time.....one or two may have been Mills and Boon. See what I was reduced to.........

Boredom was a killer.......I did read several books, to help pass the time.....one or two may have been Mills and Boon. See what I was reduced to.........

"Isolated from the world for *what seemed like* an eternity.... he was a lonely farm hand; she was a country wench with an eye for colour. Together, alone, and with no where to run, they had each other...  and when he took her upstairs to his attic, and revealed his sorid pleasures, she squealed with unbridled joy: "You model in OO!" ..."

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

"Isolated from the world for *what seemed like* an eternity.... he was a lonely farm hand; she was a country wench with an eye for colour. Together, alone, and with no where to run, they had each other...  and when he took her upstairs to his attic, and revealed his sorid pleasures, she squealed with unbridled joy: "You model in OO!" ..."

"Oh my..." she whispered, "what an enormous fiddle yard!"

He could hardly believe his ears   ..................................

"Oh my..." she whispered, "what an enormous fiddle yard!"

..............   "If you like...."   he ventured  ...."I could let you get your hands on my big 69 66 for a while .....   and put some more colour on its cheeks."

Could he ......   dare he   .....   ask her  if he could pass his double headed consist between the hillocks she had recently revealed  .........    he felt giddy as she gently brushed his platform  ....   perhaps it was just too much thinners in the airbrush after all  ......

Now then  ...   what's for breakfast?    ...  

the white lines need some work - tidying up, various airbrush colours being tested on the tracks to see which looked best,

edit=this is wooden sleepers at the front.......

med_gallery_17883_2760_138331.jpgrmweb2039kalboro32

Some real concrete sleepers taken at Peterborough, these ones are well bedded in

med_gallery_17883_3106_198743.jpgrmweb543peterboro8

Edited by Jaz

in the meantime I am liking the distance views, and Kal likes the colour of the platforms

med_gallery_17883_2760_435160.jpgrmweb2040kalboro33

the new Peterborough coloured platforms, showing different platform sides and attempts at cabling,

and a distance view

med_gallery_17883_3106_969677.jpgrmweb545peterboro10