Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

I'm wandering if I went a bit far with the burnt grass effect.....still

added some road signs.....

parking sign

med_gallery_17883_2760_15710.jpgrmweb2602kalboro41

National speed limit sign..

med_gallery_17883_2760_102770.jpgrmweb2606kalboro45

why there is water on the road I have no idea...a leak???

give way sign....

med_gallery_17883_2760_347199.jpgrmweb2607kalboro46

• Like 6

The burnt grass effect looks good to me not over done at all. Then again it wouldn't!!!

The signage adds a lot.

I can't decide whether to add a central white dotted line or not, there does not seem to be a specific length, on the dot dash dot effect. But it is not a wide road and googling lay-bys shows them with and without white lines and no central dotted line, and the road on the layout thins immediately....so I think better to not.

I can't think of anything else to fit there....

hare

bin

binbags

signage

vehivles

grass and one flower

fence

road and a white lines and a puddle.......

..........so these last 3 pictures and I'm on to my cows...

med_gallery_17883_2760_322515.jpgrmweb2603kalboro42

med_gallery_17883_2760_447714.jpgrmweb2604kalboro43

med_gallery_17883_2760_401170.jpgrmweb2605kalboro44

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 7

mooooooo cows

straight out of the pack

med_gallery_17883_3112_49438.jpgrmweb2609kalboro48\\

attacked with scissors and file to remove hors...as jerseys don't have them

med_gallery_17883_3112_181525.jpgrmweb2610kalboro49

commence painting mix white and lightest brown

med_gallery_17883_3112_22702.jpgrmweb2611kalboro50

• Like 6

too creamy....

med_gallery_17883_3112_204672.jpgrmweb2612kalboro51

mix white with a darker redder brown

med_gallery_17883_3112_456401.jpgrmweb2613kalboro52

med_gallery_17883_3112_271537.jpgrmweb2614kalboro53

whiten the eyes and the nose and the legs and the bely...oooh and the edge of the ears

black on the eyes the nose in the middle of the white......and the hooves

med_gallery_17883_3112_45232.jpgrmweb2615kalboro55

on paper for better definition

med_gallery_17883_3112_241710.jpgrmweb2616kalboro55

so 

humbrol white

tamiya XF-68 flat earth

citadel abaddon black....and bingo bobs yer uncle

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 10

The strange thing is the plastic models are actually pretty good, and Modelscene could have painted these the brown and white colour with ease, and a dab of black is not hard. Then they would have had a really nice looking cow. Leaving the white plastic untouched stops you seeing the definition on the plastic model. The modo has nice muscle definition. The eyes are visible. The iPad I use at present does not take a good picture. These next 3 are off my iphone

med_gallery_17883_3112_9998.jpgrmweb2602kalboro59

med_gallery_17883_3112_293155.jpgb2621kalboro60

so you see the model is actually nice....I should get another set and paint them with the horns, rather than removing them. One of the sitting cows still has horns. Ill leave them on.

just missing the black definition

med_gallery_17883_3112_169525.jpgrmwermweb2622kalboro61

so three colours....absolutely no weathering paints, though the white and black were not pure colours....because that is too stark....i often don't even wash the brush between changing colours. And some nice natural light....so the shadows are in evidence.And a better camera.

Although when doing the layout the softer focus on the iPad can help over look stark deficiencies, or work yet to be improved on.

The unfinished cow on the right has more white mixed with brown. I will probably darken it, but all jerseys are not exactly the same colour, so a little difference never hours, and once of the layout without the start white to set it off the difference is not so noticeable, and sometimes placing the light one in front or behind can help give 'distance' in photographs.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 5

We have plans to do Wrecrail again this weekend, this small show is wonderful as you get a real chance to speak to people....I believe they all hit the local pub after as well.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77854-the-wrecking-crew-presents-wrec-rail-2-son-of-wrec-rail-august-2nd-2014/&do=findComment&comment=1202621

Some exhibitors are the same as last year which I can heartedly recommend.

• RMweb Premium

I can't decide whether to add a central white dotted line or not, there does not seem to be a specific length, on the dot dash dot effect. But it is not a wide road and googling lay-bys shows them with and without white lines and no central dotted line, and the road on the layout thins immediately....so I think better to not.

I can't think of anything else to fit there....

hare

bin

binbags

signage

vehivles

grass and one flower

fence

road and a white lines and a puddle.......

..........so these last 3 pictures and I'm on to my cows...

med_gallery_17883_2760_322515.jpgrmweb2603kalboro42

med_gallery_17883_2760_447714.jpgrmweb2604kalboro43

med_gallery_17883_2760_401170.jpgrmweb2605kalboro44

Being an ex highwayman I can answer your question on central road markings. Google "traffic Signs Manual Chapter 5" and you should come across a pdf to download. Page 13 has all the dimensions you could wish for. The other sections cover any roadmarking eventuality you can dream up. Should solve the issue of sleepless nights!

might just try and get there myself if nothing more important to do this weekend

if you do...... speak to Mick / Newbryford he will probably be in the middle with a few yellow locos...he'll point us out. Although last time it was spooky...they guessed who we were. Apparently not many women turned up so that did partly account for it. Oh and the fact we said on the Wrecrail thread we planned to go. :sungum: . Would be lovely to say high especially as we live quite close. Then we can grill you about the telecoms. :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum: . Pete Harvey will be there and I want one of his telecoms towers, need to get my order in..but Kal needs to confirm what he wants too. Pete will bring it to Wrecrail so we save postage....which is cool. If anyone else is interested PM him, he asked us to order on the site, and if he has in in stock he will bring it on the day. Bonus.

Edited by Jaz

Being an ex highwayman I can answer your question on central road markings. Google "traffic Signs Manual Chapter 5" and you should come across a pdf to download. Page 13 has all the dimensions you could wish for. The other sections cover any roadmarking eventuality you can dream up. Should solve the issue of sleepless nights!

Thank you very much, that will prove invaluable for several parts of AV that need updating...and had been left so it was not done wrong.

• Like 1

Whilst in the loft it was getting really hot...and all I could think about was an ice-cream.....

med_gallery_17883_2760_29353.jpgrmweb2628kalboro67

med_gallery_17883_2760_109591.jpgrmweb2629kalboro68

unfortunately he has no real ice cream.....so I raided our freezer instead.....

oh and I turned the 50 mile  sign the other way.....until i have carefully read the link 2ManySpams kindly left above.

• Like 6

Great work on the road and the cows Jaz. Personally I like the road without the centre line. I don't think you need to darken the right-hand cow - certainly the Jersey cows we have down-under can be quite a light brown - but perhaps they are all sun-bleached (or perhaps like some African tribes they bleach their hair using a natural product they have close to hand/hoof).

You've nailed it with that road scens Jaz...excellent stuff. You can't have too much burnt grass,...esp. this time of year. That cow's a work of art too!

Dave

To be honest once you have a reasonable grey and weathering, and a bit of fluff......The3 white lines are free hand I put a ruler down and measured 1.5cm in 2.00cm gap. The white was mixed with a little black to stop it glaring too much. I like the light haze from our open velux....it makes one think of light try trees.

it is really all down to the light....real shadows (i.e. not artificial light) and those wonder vehicles which barring the postal van hav not had anything done to them since they came out of the box.

The signs were bought...and tho i cut the pole and the sign out of a sheet....the hard work was done. I do colour the white edge of the signs. Black or red get tip as appropriate.

A number of items look much better to the naked eye.....it can't focus to show brush strokes.....

• Like 2