Β 

Phew, I've finally found someone who isn't exhibiting this weekend. It seems like everyone I know is out with their own layout, or someone else's....

Β 

It's the start of the season, Andy.

Β 

Wrong continent for this thread I know but I'll be in East German mode at Lichfield on Saturday..

Β 

BTW - nice job on the hoppers, Chris.

Edited by Northpoint

I've got some photos from the first show posted here,Β http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/10708. Β They are on the second page, scroll down to the comment titled "My First Layout Exhibition -- The Results." Β These were taken last March.Β  ....

Β 

Β 

Thanks,

Damin.

Β 

Damin, that is very naughty of you to post that link :nono: ... some of us on This Side of The Pond are suckers for a: O Scale and b: the Soo Line :sungum: :locomotive:

Β 

Are you using the Weaver GP38-2 ? I 'kit-bashed' one with Atlas SD40 & GP35 parts to make a Bandit GP40... sorry to Chris for the thread Hi-Jack, here's a gratuitous picture...

SDC11010.jpg

Β 

Edit - P.S. I'll be exhibiting next month, if that's ok..??

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 3

Damin, that is very naughty of you to post that link :nono: ... some of us on This Side of The Pond are suckers for a: O Scale and b: the Soo Line :sungum: :locomotive:

Β 

Are you using the Weaver GP38-2 ? I 'kit-bashed' one with Atlas SD40 & GP35 parts to make a Bandit GP40.

Β 

Thanks F-UnitMad,

Β 

Yes, I am also using a Weaver GP38-2. Β Mine will be a model of Soo Line 4512 when it is finished. Β Photos of the actual 4512 can be found atΒ http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?road_number=Soo%204512.

Β 

BTW, I'm a big fan of your Schiller Point layout. Β If fact, my layout is not that "far" from yours, as it is meant to represent a spur line serving one of the many industrial parks in the vicinity of the Bensenville, IL yard and O'Hare Int'l Airport.

Β 

Thanks,

Damin.

• Like 1

Most entertaining - I certainly enjoyed watching that , and it just goes to show that even a "simple" switching operation takes time .

Β 

Those weathered hopper cars really look the part as well, and I still maintain that with a change of stock , North Haston could be set anywhere in the US and it still would look "right".

Most entertaining - I certainly enjoyed watching that , and it just goes to show that even a "simple" switching operation takes time .

Β 

Those weathered hopper cars really look the part as well, and I still maintain that with a change of stock , North Haston could be set anywhere in the US and it still would look "right".

Β 

Chris,Β this would look good running in LA modeΒ Β Β Β  :winkclear:Β Β Β 

Β 

Colin

Edited by Colinw62

I see what you mean

I've just checked my SD35 and GP40 and the both have the same gap

May be it stands out more because the short hood is white

Β 

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Β 

I just saw this post.Β  The gap you are seeing is conceptually correct - there is a small gap for clearance at the bottom of the small doors, but it's a little too prominent on the Atlas model IMO.

Β 

Beautiful layout!

I did note that during the video, and now both vidoes that the locos were not using sound. Chris, are these DC only and no sound or did you have the sound off on purpose?

Β 

Just and enquiring mind interested in knowing the answer is all.

Morning Andrew,

It is DCC but I only started my Guilford collection this Easter and only non sound fitted loco seem to be available. I will add sound to them as the winter progresses.

The PWRR GE loco that was running on Sunday was sound fitted and that added a lot to the layout.

Β 

Having said that there was another US layout there at the show and which had a number of sound locos on it but to be honest you needed ear defenders on when you went past it.

Paul

The warehouse was built by Steve Williams and is detailed somewhere else on RMWeb

I will try and find a link to the thread

The cement silos is a walthers kit that I sprayed all over with dull coat then covered it with brown sleeper grime and quickley washed off with white spirt

The small green building is by BLMA which was painted by Steve

The bridge is a rix highway kit given the same treatment as the silos

The billboard is blma which has just been dull coated

The while silo at the end of the warehouse as a tubing I found

Paul

The warehouse was built by Steve Williams and is detailed somewhere else on RMWeb

I will try and find a link to the thread

The cement silos is a walthers kit that I sprayed all over with dull coat then covered it with brown sleeper grime and quickley washed off with white spirt

The small green building is by BLMA which was painted by Steve

The bridge is a rix highway kit given the same treatment as the silos

The billboard is blma which has just been dull coated

The while silo at the end of the warehouse as a tubing I found

Chris / Paul The details are on page two of the Florida City thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62856-florida-city-tri-rail-fec-and-csx/page-2

It's worth considering that the only time you actually hear multiple locos on the prototype -- especially more than, say, two consists of locos -- is at an engine facility or maybe a major terminal throat at rush hour. At Pepper Avenue on a good day, you might see/hear three consists at once, though at least one of these might be at idle, none would have bells ringing, and the one on the main would pass by quickly. Cajon Pass, same thing, you might have two trains passing, but it would be fairly quick for the locos to go by, and the sound of the cars is much less common on a layout. Yet I read fairly frequently that guys think sound on a layout is OK until you have 6 or 7 locos/consists at once! I would also think that having a couple dozen layouts together at a UK style exhibition is, from the US point of view, completely artificial and not likely to produce a prototypical environment in general.

Β 

I find that the politics involved in getting a group of 6-12 operators together to run a layout is a bit too much for me, so I don't have that problem. I designed my layout to have sound based on layout ideas when PFM sound was around, but leaving aside the few steam locos I equipped with PFM analog sound in the 1970s and 80s, I only began to get DCC sound fairly recently. I have a home layout, I don't feel compelled to have an entourage to run it (and tolerate their whistles and bells so as not to give offense), so I can suit myself listening to a single Alco switcher rev up. This may be the best place to have sound.