Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Why do some models make you so happy?

Hi guys,

I've been looking for a while for a Bachmann Class 20 in Railfreight red stripe. I dunno why I like them, but they're such charming locomotives! I unfortunately a lost a last minute bid for one on eBay, but as luck would have it I found a new one online, and then shortly afterwards another reasonably priced one came up on eBay which I won for a lot less than the other one went for! 

the eBay one arrived today, and it's such a charming little model! I've hooked it up to a Mk2 BSO in blue/grey and it just looks "right". i'm basing my entire project around express passenger trains c1990. whilst the 20 did ocassionally pull passenger trains I doubt they could be called expresses! The majority of my fleet is made up of HSTs, a 225 set and a loco hauled Mk3 set and yet of all of my models this is probably now my favourite! 

I had a similar feeling with my  Bachmann Class 150/2 in Regional Railways livery. Even looking at it now it's a lovely model. 

Does anyone else have an unusual affection for a model that is tangential to their "theme"? 

Absolutely. I have a big interest in SNCF Autorails. I think part of the appeal is that they are so unusual and far removed from what I grew up with in the UK. 

I have to say though that it is not just trains that make me happy, I also really enjoy modelling buildings. In fact I might be controversial here and say prefer it to models of trains. I can't quite put my finger on why but I have always quite liked the urban form and the interplay between space, buildings and the natural environment. Is anyone else similarly afflicted? 

• RMweb Gold

I have to say though that it is not just trains that make me happy, I also really enjoy modelling buildings. In fact I might be controversial here and say prefer it to models of trains. I can't quite put my finger on why but I have always quite liked the urban form and the interplay between space, buildings and the natural environment. Is anyone else similarly afflicted? 

I quite agree ! For me it's because buildings don't need to move and, if they are a little unsteady, you can bury the footings !

(I'd be fine if only 3 out of 4 wheels needed to touch the rails...)

• RMweb Premium

I'm with you both there too. At exhibitions, I can happily spend ages looking at well modelled buildings, etc. The trains running past are a distraction :D

Absolutely. I have a big interest in SNCF Autorails. I think part of the appeal is that they are so unusual and far removed from what I grew up with in the UK. 

I also enjoy modelling buildings and am far happier putting something straight out of the box on the track than using an unmodified building. The great thing about buildings is that they don't fail to work after you've built them. Though I am a lover of steam I agree with you about French Autorails - the red and cream types not suppositoires- and I particularly like the metre gauge ones that Billard built for the CFD. I still can't figure out why Billard had no problem putting a cab at both ends in the 1930s while SNCF were still building autorails where the driver had to sit over the engine in a little glazed box throughout the 1950s

Does anyone else have an unusual affection for a model that is tangential to their "theme"? 

I love the HST. As a modeller, I'm primarily a kettle fan, and if I ever did consider a DEMU layout then I'd be more likely to go for something contemporary rather than BR era. But the original blue/grey HST featured heavily in my late teens and it's one of the few trains that has a real resonance for me individually. When I get my "railway room" (we'll be moving house in a couple of months, and I'm planning to get a shed that will be my modelling retreat) I think I'll have to buy one of the Hornby HSTs just so that I can watch it go round and round the loop.

The other thing that I really like, but have even less justification to buy, is a Swiss "crocodile" loco. Maybe one day, I'll build a layout featuring one of these: http://www.maerklin.com/en/products/detailsh0.html?lang=en&page=2&perpage=10&level1=3942&level2=3951&level3=3957&art_nr=37565&era=0&gaugechoice=2&groupchoice=1&subgroupchoice=3&backlink=%2Fwww.maerklin.com%2Fen%2Fproducts%2Fgauge_h0%2Flocomotives%2Felectric_locomotives.html

I sometimes plonk my Bachmann Class 08 on my US switching layout and run it up and down a few times - so smooth, a joy to watch, as good as any of the American engines. Pity it just doesn't fit in. Maybe I should fit it with Kadees and pretend it's been shipped over for use on a shortline?

I also have a 2-foot length of 12mm gauge track permanently out on which I occasionally give the odd 3mm scale engine a bit of a run.

The HST for me, full rakes whizzing by, just brilliant. I like all of the liveries although I am partial to the Swallow, Blue/Grey and the EMT versions. 

Have to agree with the OP about the 150. I have one in RR and just had to buy another. 

The Virgin 57 is not a bad looker either and I am like my 20s ! 

I have always loved 33/1s.

But I recently bought the Heljan class 31, and it is so ugly, it needs to be loved!!

It is ugly, yes. But it also has character. And that's what matters most.

• RMweb Premium

The Galloping Goose.  Not only is it out of country, it's also out of scale.

It also runs on my wife's layout.

So different.

post-6938-0-91796500-1370745261.jpg

I never attended discos as a kid. The reason I am deaf is because I spent my time far more productivley standing 6" away from  screaming valenta 125s departing from Reading.

Bliss!!!!!! If only you could bottle it! 

I quite agree ! For me it's because buildings don't need to move and, if they are a little unsteady, you can bury the footings !

(I'd be fine if only 3 out of 4 wheels needed to touch the rails...)

I realised that I'm pretty well duplicating what has already been posted, but the comments still apply

(Swiss "krokodil" - Agree, yes, very definitely)

Dennis

My main period of interest is 80s and 90s uk, i've not been able to justify buying any of the following (yet) but for some reason i have a soft spot for multiple units that are 6 carriages in length!

I can't put put my finger on why, but modern 'Javelins', old 'blue pullmans', and the swiss 'grey mouse' trains (http://www.ajckids.com/products/Marklin/37546

) all look fantastic to me. I'm sure there's other examples out there but i haven't stumbled over them yet.

It doesn't work for things like reduced HSTs though to the same length, or 2 shorter multiple units joined together to make a 6 coach train. Which is odd.

Q) Why do some models make you so happy?

A) Because they are the embodiment in miniature of the object(s) of your desire. And they're a pleasure to own.

Simples

G.

It is ugly, yes. But it also has character. And that's what matters most.

I think this must be it. One of my favourite models is my Heljan class 15 and I have no idea why. I never saw them in the flesh, I'll take a blue diesel over a green one any day (dons Nomex undercrackers) and up until the point I bought one I could never decide whether they were pleasantly quirky or just butt-ugly. So I steered clear of them until one day I saw one reduced on Rails and decided against all my instincts to take the plunge. I'm certainly glad I did and whilst I'm pleased that the gamble paid off, it does mean that the forthcoming class 16 will inevitably eat a hole in my budget that could - and indeed should - be spent on more mundane and essential stuff. Oh well!

• RMweb Premium

Every model I make gives me pleasure. Whether it is a loco,wagon or structure. I have never got pany enjoyment from opening a box and dumping it on a layout.

Perhaps if you dumped the contents of the box on the layout instead ........  :no:

Archived