Class 37 Photos...

Ahh, 37s make the world a better place, their like a trusty old donkey. Incidentally what's the meaning of 'Six-eights'?

I think Six Eights comes from there original numbers e.g. D6836 37136 37905 So its just there pre tops number

• RMweb Premium

Ahh, 37s make the world a better place, their like a trusty old donkey. Incidentally what's the meaning of 'Six-eights'?

The original series was D6700-D6999/D6600-D6608

I believe the "six-eights" term is mainly South Wales in origin as many of the D68xx series were first allocated there.

Cheers,

Mick

here's a few of the Glasgow test train!!

attachicon.gif37010.jpg

010 having just arrived from Glasgow works

attachicon.gif37156.jpg

156 waiting to head back to Glasgow

attachicon.gif370.jpg

??? standing in centre road (can't find number of this one,anyone help)

Ray

Hi Ray, If you manage to get the name it could be a lot easier, unfortunately I cant make it out

SGJ

• Like 1

The original series was D6700-D6999/D6600-D6608

I believe the "six-eights" term is mainly South Wales in origin as many of the D68xx series were first allocated there.

Cheers,

Mick

It was usually 'six-eighter', sometimes split into 'six-sixer', 'six-eighter' and 'six-niner' by the locals when I started spotting in about 1966-7. If an Eastern one turned up on the Whitemoor- Trostre, that was a SIX-SEVENER, and we'd all be on our push-bikes going to Llandilo Junction to see it- usually arriving too late. By that time, the lowest numbered WR EE Type 3 was D6877, I think, but six-eighter remained the generic name for the centre-headcode ones.

Hi, the post-quote button has stopped working, so I just wanted to ask, in your post Ray, what livery is 501 wearing?YoursScR.

Its in the British Steel livery, was painted in this livery early 1987 I think.