Freemo Extravaganza

Looks like you had a fantastic weekend,thanks for the photo/videos,nearly called in on Sunday on my way back,but as i'm trying to amass as many brownie point, thought i'd better not!

Hoping to be there next year,if i can get the weekend  free (wedding anniversary,she may fancy a weekend in Stafford!!!!!)

How did those new to freemo,find working with opp's etc,it looked to be fun,looking at Nicks video all of the module blended well and there's still loads of room left.

Will have to start my build for next year,only 14 mouths to go!!!!!!

Ray

Ray

Lichfield look very nice when the GPS misrouted me through the middle of it on Sun afternoon on the way home :-)

Dan

• RMweb Gold

only 14 mouths to go!!!!!!

Are you expanding your family then??

My typing is much worse!!

Being new to this sort of operation, I did have my doubts but thoroughly enjoyed it. Gave much more 'purpose' when operating.

Even the evening trip to Wethers (nice range of ales and prompt service) and a local traditional pub in Rugeley you would have enjoyed

Ian

• RMweb Gold

How did those new to freemo,find working with opp's etc,it looked to be fun,

Dead easy the lists were self explanatory the only thing we struggled with on the first job was knowing the name of a location as it was only on one side on most and how to change the points ;)

• RMweb Gold

I know that plain modules (straight or curved) aren't very exciting for the individual builder but they are vital for the greater scheme.

A suggestion by Colin was to make very narrow (6 or 9ins?) straight "filler" pieces with basic scenery (ground cover at least) that can have adaptor boards at the end. These would be cheap, easy to construct, easy to store and of great value to the greater scheme.

What do the more experienced Freemo users think - would it work?

I suppose a plain run of track but with a feature such as a long bridge, cutting, street running or even a tunnel would add some interest?

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Dead easy the lists were self explanatory the only thing we struggled with on the first job was knowing the name of a location as it was only on one side on most and how to change the points ;)

How about a standard size and font name printed out to pin up on each side of each module so everyone knows what to look for?

It didnt take long though to work out where everything was.

It certainly kept us fit walking round the whole set up unless you felt like a bit of limbo dancing!!

I suppose a plain run of track but with a feature such as a long bridge, cutting, street running or even a tunnel would add some interest?

Ian

This was certainly the case with the very long set-up I saw at a French exhibition; lots of the intermediate modules were less than a foot wide, carrying just plain track and a varying degree of scenic complexity.

Looks like you all had a blast. I'll check the photos and videos on my lunch break. :)

I'll try to make the next one.

Nick, did you mean September THIS year or September 2015?

2015, Dan. I'm all organised out for this year!!!

Confirmation received that the venue is booked for 26/27 September, 2015.

That's 64 weeks from  now - so no excuses about not having enough time!!!

Bggr!!! I'm already booked for Borefts Beer Festival in Bodegraven NL that weekend. Crapspackle!!! :butcher:

Yet more video - this was shot on Sunday morning before anybody else arrived and I had the whole train set to myself!

Bet you'd been there all night :-). How about a couple of 30'' modular yards that could be used as departure and destination points for some unit trains, coal, grain etc. Moving 24 car trains over that set up would be fun!(only joking!!!)

I popped in for a few minutes on Saturday afternoon to show my support. Really pleased I did, shame I couldn't make the whole day as planned, but from what I saw I was hooked. Great motivation to recover from my op later this month and get building, though a 30' yard might be a tad too ambitious to start with. Maybe something simple like 12' of modules with a passing siding and an elevator spur? Already got the track buildings and scenery, just need to build some boards and slap it all down on. How hard can that be? :-).

Cheers

Chris

you are worse than me for booking trips away!!

Not really. We only have 3 permanently blocked out weekends. Last in May, First in July, and last in Sept.

Sounds like a weak excuse to me....

Weak is not a word that describes that beer fest. Very few beers that are less than double digit abv.

I know that plain modules (straight or curved) aren't very exciting for the individual builder but they are vital for the greater scheme.

A suggestion by Colin was to make very narrow (6 or 9ins?) straight "filler" pieces with basic scenery (ground cover at least) that can have adaptor boards at the end. These would be cheap, easy to construct, easy to store and of great value to the greater scheme.

What do the more experienced Freemo users think - would it work?

So long as we can clamp em cleanly it should be fine - the US guys actually have a standard they call "mini-mo" for something similar to create long scenic bits.

Would like to say thanks for a enjoyable weekend of playing trains, it was amazing to see the layouts people have created.

It was a great experience and I will look forward to the next one!  :no:

Sam.

• RMweb Gold

Would like to say thanks for a enjoyable weekend of playing trains, it was amazing to see the layouts people have created.

It was a great experience and I will look forward to the next one!  :no:

Sam.

It was good talking to you and your dad. Also great to put names to faces aswell.

Ian

Ian

Bet you'd been there all night :-). How about a couple of 30'' modular yards that could be used as departure and destination points for some unit trains, coal, grain etc. Moving 24 car trains over that set up would be fun!(only joking!!!)

We didn't do badly on train length - i'd set a limit of 1000' in Ops, which equated to about 15 to 17 cars which the staging runs and I think occasionally the Fort Myers one reached, most of the other workings were restricted by runround lengths - I think that was plenty for carload traffic (and occasionally too much for the Fort Myers turn!)

Archived