RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

There was a good article on the restoration of that van in one of the classic commercial magazines last year. Sorry to be vague as to which, but swmbo threw it out whilst having one of her clear ups!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

A few pictures of older gas-powered vehicles taken in the West Kootenays of BC in the last week:

A 1929 Harley-Davidson in the Castlegar town museum,

attachicon.gifIMG_0544.JPG

A Studebaker Avanti in the carpark of the hotel we were staying in. Quite unusual looking. I believe the word 'Avanti' is associated with moving forward in Italian. Perhaps someone can tell us the Italian for 'bass ackwards' - the front of the car, with the fins, looks like the back.

attachicon.gifIMG_0542.JPG

Forgot to note the name of this one - also in the hotel carpark.

attachicon.gifIMG_0540.JPG

And another 'unidentified', though from blowing up the picture, the word on the front fender appears to be 'Mercury', which would fit with the 'M' on the hood.

attachicon.gifIMG_0561.JPG

The 'mystery car' looks very much like a Graham-Paige of 1935/36. Graham-Paige was an independant company that produced cars from 1923 to 1941.

EDIT it is a Graham-Paige but more likely a 1933/34 model.

Edited by PhilJ W

That Triumph looks vaguley familiar, I'm sure that I've seen that one or a similar car around south Manchester.

Car was in Sainsbury's car park, North Watford, just now.

Earlier this week, outside the Family Courts in Hatton Cross was this:

post-6879-0-27415100-1467389378_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-52784500-1467389401_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

ok guys this popped up on another forum barn find in france  its right hand drive ?

can anybody identify it ?

000536bf-0187-86cf-4583-f464e2190874_510

The wheels suggest a Citroen. It was not unusual in Alpine regions for vehicles to have right hand drive where the 'right hand rule' applies, it was deemed desirable that the driver on mountain roads to have a good view of the edge of the road.

• RMweb Gold

It was not unusual in Alpine regions for vehicles to have right hand drive where the 'right hand rule' applies, it was deemed desirable that the driver on mountain roads to have a good view of the edge of the road.

Quite common on post buses in the past

saurer-1-c-h-be-26760-52651.jpg

• Like 5

Not seen one of these in years!

attachicon.gifIMG_20160701_161747_1467386291820.jpg

There are still a few around in Oz, although most are Mk2s. I look at the Triumph 2000 and still wonder at just how "right" Michelotti got the styling.  It is, in my opinion, an underrated masterpiece.

Car was in Sainsbury's car park, North Watford, just now.

Earlier this week, outside the Family Courts in Hatton Cross was this:

attachicon.gifIMG_20160627_105447_1467389249460.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20160627_105511_1467389280110.jpg

Ooh, an R90S. The bike that stuffed the best that the Japanese could offer at Daytona in the early 70s. Wanted one for years :D.

Don't forget, until one eventful night some decades ago, in Sweden, they drove on the left too. [i don't mean, both sides of the road at once!]

Since the car shown would appear to have been built between the two World  wars..... a lot of Europe {where cars of this type might be made, or sold?} actually drove on the left. [Or, like Spain, could not make its mind up?}.....the Austro-Hungarian empire countries, for example?

Although agreement was made, Europe-wide, and world wide, eventually. [Geneva Convention, of all things!]...the change from right or left drive  was pretty scattered....[indeed, Italy drove on the left at one time, apparently]... and only happened over a prolonged  period of time.

• RMweb Premium

Even Newfoundland once drove on the left, the last place to do so in North America. There is a list of countries that drive on the left and those that drive in the right including those that have changed such as Sweden. As far as I know the only country to change from right to left is Namibia, the last country to make such a change was Myanma (Burma) in the early 70's.

Edited by PhilJ W

Don't forget, until one eventful night some decades ago, in Sweden, they drove on the left too.

I understand the changeover was done over a period - buses and lorries first, and a week later cars and bikes.

G

...and Italian Lancia lorries until sometime in the 1960s

dh

I have seen Italian lorries of much more recent construction with the driving position on the right. This isn't because some Italian drivers use the LHS of the road; if you're driving on mountain roads, in a largish vehicle, then it's quite useful to see exactly how much room you've got between yourself and the edge of the road.

Whilst on the topic of 'convention, does anybody know when concensus was arrived at between world manufacturers, to place the pedals, left to right, as 'clutch' [or, gearchange, as on a pre-selector gearbox?], then brake, & accelerator?

There were numerous, famous, makes who placed the accelerator between the brake, & clutch pedals...

I believe perhaps Cadillac were the first with such a 'conventional' pedal order.....[but I think I'm wrong there...but, it was an American make]....but the question is, when did everybody sit down and organise some sort of united order?

Edited by alastairq

• RMweb Gold

Biennial Le Mans Classic this weekend. The club cars park in designated groups, naturally, so you get 200 911s, and 20+ classic Maseratis. On the track the entries include a couple of Porsche 917s, half a dozen Lola T70s and at least a dozen GT40s. 

Not as interesting as the cars, I know, but there are some exotic drivers, too. Gijs Van Lennep comes to mind among other worthy names. One interesting pairing is the Fillon brothers. One is president of the ACO, the organising club, while his brother used to be Prime Minister. 

• Like 3

ok guys this popped up on another forum barn find in france  its right hand drive ?

can anybody identify it ?

000536bf-0187-86cf-4583-f464e2190874_510

I think its a hydrangea or maybe a clematis.

Oh you meant the car!  :angel:

Whilst on the topic of 'convention, does anybody know when concensus was arrived at between world manufacturers, to place the pedals, left to right, as 'clutch' [or, gearchange, as on a pre-selector gearbox?], then brake, & accelerator?

There were numerous, famous, makes who placed the accelerator between the brake, & clutch pedals...

I believe perhaps Cadillac were the first with such a 'conventional' pedal order.....[but I think I'm wrong there...but, it was an American make]....but the question is, when did everybody sit down and organise some sort of united order?

I can't give a definitive answer but I'll offer a few thoughts. The centre throttle  arrangement seems to have been regarded as one of the marks of a truly sporting car, as was a right hand gearchange (on RHD cars), well into the 1930s (if I remember The Motoring Encyclopedia of ~1934 correctly). I'd therefore regard it as likely to have continued up to WW2 on at least some exotics. It wouldn't especially surprise me to learn that someone, maybe the Italians.  continued to use it in their exotic output post WW2.

The "conventional" pedal arrangement always struck me as being likely to have originated in Britain or some other bastion of RHD, given that it's easiest to do if the clutch pedal sprouts directly from the bellhousing, as it does on many older cars. As an aside on a similar note, the pedal assembly on a RHD VW Beetle (a real one, not the modern ersatz variety) is much more mechanically elegant than it's native LHD equivalent. Not saying you're wrong, just that the arrangement seems less intuitive when applied to LHD.

Regardless, the "conventional" pedal arrangement seems to have been the de faccto standard in Britain from at least the end of WW1, with only the aforementioned sporting exotica and oddballs like the Model T Ford bucking the trend to any great extent. I do have a niggling memory that my father may have claimed his c1930 Morris Minor to have had a centre throttle but, even if I'm right in that, with its OHC engine and MG connections, it may have had more sporting pretensions than the average small car of its day.

• Like 2