The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

1 hour ago, johnlambert said:

I'd like to ride a sporting two-stroke 'bike although I understand the power delivery is very peaky.

Depends what you call peaky. From the mid 1980s most had a form of power valve to give some low down and mid range power.

There are 2 basic types. Ones that alter the top of the exhaust ports to change the port timing (in effect, variable valve timing). And those that change the volume of the exhaust port. First time far more effective, but at first they seemed to struggle getting designs that didn’t infringe Yamaha's patents. Gilera managed to come up with a design that did both.

But still peaky compared to lazy car engines. Part of what makes them so much more fun to ride.

All the best

Katy

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

More Americana -  first up, a couple of typically middle aged lady shots followed by some shots  from the 1968 Chicago Auto Show.... they illustrate very well the different aspects of the period, the suburban housewife / family appeal of the early '60s and the growing youth market from the middle of the decade onwards....

US 1966 Galaxie 500.jpg

US 1960 Chevy.jpg

US 1968 Chicago Auto Show Buick Skylark Custom.jpg

US AS#2 CHICAGO 1968.jpg

US AS#3 1968.jpg

US AS#4.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Those massive gas-guzzlers! But those mature ladies obviously were used to them. 

In 1971, just 21, Sherry flew to Michigan to be with her (English) fiancé, and to get married. He was on a GM training scheme with a number of other Brits from Vauxhall. Most of the other guys had bought sensible compact cars, but Pete had bought a Chevrolet Impala. Now Sherry was a confident driver, having driven her father's Corsair, and loved his later 1600E Cortina - but this was something else! Given that Pete's car at uni had been a Spridget, it was an odd choice, but Sherry coped. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Kickstart said:

This turned up elsewhere. Thought people might be interested

All the best

Katy

56B66DDB-9A14-4965-8766-B7216C8C9DF2.jpeg

Probably useable as brake fluid now! Great prop for a car show though 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Those massive gas-guzzlers! But those mature ladies obviously were used to them. 

In 1971, just 21, Sherry flew to Michigan to be with her (English) fiancé, and to get married. He was on a GM training scheme with a number of other Brits from Vauxhall. Most of the other guys had bought sensible compact cars, but Pete had bought a Chevrolet Impala. Now Sherry was a confident driver, having driven her father's Corsair, and loved his later 1600E Cortina - but this was something else! Given that Pete's car at uni had been a Spridget, it was an odd choice, but Sherry coped. 

Lovely little snippet there Ian. I'm being drawn more and more towards the US stuff of late, not helped by nipping round to see a mate from work who's busy turning his '73 Camaro into Santa Pod special. When I went to the Stoneleigh American show last Summer I was reminded just how big some of those behemoths are, even the so called mid sized / intermediate cars are gynormous compared to British built fare. It's rare to see any of them on the roads apart from the when the show season is on (looking forward to things getting back to normal on that score, eventually). The internal dimensions of my garage allow anything up to about 16'6'' in length to fit in reasonably comfortably, the trouble is even those mid sized cars like the Plymouth Furys, Dodge Coronets etc are easily 17' long. I've got enough room behind the garage to build another one large enough to take a yank mobile but any decision will have to wait until the current CV malarkey passes.

Meanwhile, another bit of gratuitous self indulgence - some more American Auto Show photos from Chicago, Detroit and New York taken between 1966 and 1972.... they were very different times....

AS 99_b.jpg

AS 1966 DETb1ff71.jpg

AS 1968 38f6d.jpg

AS 1966 CH 11b.jpg

AS 2015-01-08-sebring-thumb DET.jpg

AS COUGAR 4e75a.jpg

AS 012_Car-Show-1968.jpg

AS 098.jpg

AS car-show-vintage-ladies.jpg

AS cars-auto-poster-ideas.jpg

AS CH 69 ef16.jpg

AS CH 1968 unnamed.jpg

AS CH OLDS 6c27ee5.png

AS DETROT 69 ddcc.jpg

AS DET 0-cvt-rauhauser522.jpg

AS DET 2011.43.4-d1-2016-12-06_o2.jpg

AS DET 2011.43.12-d1-2016-12-06_o2.jpg

AS DET PO 2011.43.5-d1-2016-12-06_o2.jpg

AS DODGE SBEE0_b.jpg

AS DODGE The-Original-Scat-Pack-Auto-Show-Debut.png

AS DODGE unnamed.jpg

AS POsh63.jpg

AS PP ae9920.jpg

1966 AS CH 20_b.jpg

1966 AS CH 706ac_b.jpg

1966 AS CH a_b.jpg

1966 AS CH bba1c9.jpg

1966 AS CH DG-show-8.jpg

1966 AS CH OLDS TORO wCSh6iP.jpg

1969 CHICAGO AS 39d23.jpg

1971_Ford_Thunderbird_Tridon_Chicago_01.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Did I see a Mk. III Cortina slipped in there? A good look at 60's clothing fashions as well.

Yes, I knew her, Julie Ege...at the 1970 Earls Court show.....;)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Lovely little snippet there Ian. I'm being drawn more and more towards the US stuff of late, not helped by nipping round to see a mate from work who's busy turning his '73 Camaro into Santa Pod special. When I went to the Stoneleigh American show last Summer I was reminded just how big some of those behemoths are, even the so called mid sized / intermediate cars are gynormous compared to British built fare. It's rare to see any of them on the roads apart from the when the show season is on (looking forward to things getting back to normal on that score, eventually). The internal dimensions of my garage allow anything up to about 16'6'' in length to fit in reasonably comfortably, the trouble is even those mid sized cars like the Plymouth Furys, Dodge Coronets etc are easily 17' long. I've got enough room behind the garage to build another one large enough to take a yank mobile but any decision will have to wait until the current CV malarkey passes.

Meanwhile, another bit of gratuitous self indulgence - some more American Auto Show photos from Chicago, Detroit and New York taken between 1966 and 1972.... they were very different

Your photos brought back memories! We went to the 1971 or 1972 Detroit Auto Show (I was in the US from June, '71 - May, '72) and remember the models (cars and girls!!), if not the exact year! 

• Like 4

Glad to be of service Ash ;).

A while ago I posted some examples of Art Fitzpatrick and Van Kauffman's work for Pontiac, I found out this morning that Art painted the cars and Van did the backgrounds and figures, what a terrific collaboration with wonderfully evocative results....

PO AF & VK collaboration.jpg

• Like 8

Quote:

The internal dimensions of my garage allow anything up to about 16'6'' in length to fit in reasonably comfortably, the trouble is even those mid sized cars like the Plymouth Furys, Dodge Coronets etc are easily 17' long. I've got enough room behind the garage to build another one large enough to take a yank mobile but any decision will have to wait until the current CV malarkey passes.

To give you an idea, my son's Chevrolet Camaro (M reg) fits quite comfortably, only thing to be aware of is it's a two door soft top with very long doors. It wouldn't fit in the garage at the bottom of the garden because that's partitioned to give space for Deepcar to be erected. The 2012 Dodge Challenger he had for a while also fitted but with the much higher bonnet (hood) made it a bit difficult to get to the bottom bolts on the doors.

I've just measured the garage beside the house, roughly 16' 6" from back wall to doors.

The other vehicle he got when he bought his Camaro back in exchange for the Challenger definitely won't fit, he'd regretted selling the Camaro almost as it was driven away.

I'd like to keep the other one but finances don't allow. It's a Chevrolet Silverado pick up, 350 cu.in. V8 and very little in the way of silencer!

Edited by great central
Missing word
  • Like 5

Thanks for that GC, duly noted ;).

Here's another splash of yankydoodle colour - not everyone's cup of tea granted, but following on from the 'Mod Top' photos I posted last year here are some more examples of American vinyl roof and interior eccentricity from the Plymouth and Dodge stables, as well as the floral / psychedelic stuff there's even a snakeskin version amongst them on a '72 Dodge Charger, I've also included a few model shots.... bottles of mind bleach are available at the nearest exit for those easily offended....!

MOD TOP 9a3e9.jpg

MOD TOP 20-1550848155505.jpg

MOD TOP 1969 PLYM BARRACUDA d283fee_z.jpg

MOD TOP 1969 PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA yellw.jpg

MOD TOP modtopr.jpg

MOD TOP 72 DODGE CHARGER image.jpg

MOD TOP 953a53_b.jpg

MOD TOP 1968-Dodge-Charger-Mod-Top.jpg

MOD TOP 1970-plymouth-barracuda-hemi-top.jpg

MOD TOP BarracudaModTop_5x2decal_Roni'McHugh-c.jpg

MOD TOP d16b901f.jpg

MOD TOP modtop4.jpg.724e808449f5.jpg

MOD TOP 117-ModTopEmblem.jpg

MOD TOP 1969_Plymouth_Setellite_Modtop_20.thumb.jpg.9bc16c4c226891419e16061f8d668f39.jpg

MOD TOP OC-Blog-78-Mod-Photo-2.jpg

MOD TOP 1970 lg_7839.jpg

MOD TOP MODlg_7893.jpg

MOD TOP franklin-mint-24-1970-plymouth-hemi_1.jpg

MOD TOP 1968 BCUDA5104.jpg

Mod Top Cuda-003Grundy.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A pal has a 72 (I think) Olds Delta 88 Royale Convertible, unfortunately I can't find a photo just now - it has a 455 so goes OK for a huge tank.  It is black so is known as The Boat, as in 'Das Boot'!!

For such a huge car it seems to be a little cramped in accommodation, except in width!

• Like 3

Something a little more mundane for a lockdown Sunday, refitting the dashboard in the Montego after repairs to the non-functional heater. 

These things were only designed to be fitted once I think!

Got it neatly into place then realised the heater controls were still trapped at the bottom, d'oh!

IMG_20200510_130029162.jpg.365c3c6321dc988758e69952ff7e9abe.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Having several times had hours of "fun" getting the probably simpler dashboard in and out of a RWD Cavalier, trying to damage nothing, normally getting something trapped or mis-located in the process, I understand quite well.....

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, great central said:

Something a little more mundane for a lockdown Sunday, refitting the dashboard in the Montego after repairs to the non-functional heater. 

These things were only designed to be fitted once I think!

Got it neatly into place then realised the heater controls were still trapped at the bottom, d'oh!

IMG_20200510_130029162.jpg.365c3c6321dc988758e69952ff7e9abe.jpg

I've got this job to do soon, there is actually only five bolts that hold the dash , once the instruments are out everything else is 'supposed ' to slide off. Mine is to replace a cracked dash was yours the heater motor? 

The manual says remove the dash for matrix removal but this is not the case

• Informative/Useful 2

Heater controls, especially fans are a ba***rd.   The one on the Allegro needs virtually the whole dashboard removing.

Score one for the Germans - when the fan on my Skoda stopped working last Autumn, up behind the glove compartment, two thumbscrews rotated half a turn each and the whole lot just dropped into the footwell.   Took me longer to order the new one online than change it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jwealleans said:

Heater controls, especially fans are a ba***rd.   The one on the Allegro needs virtually the whole dashboard removing.

Score one for the Germans - when the fan on my Skoda stopped working last Autumn, up behind the glove compartment, two thumbscrews rotated half a turn each and the whole lot just dropped into the footwell.   Took me longer to order the new one online than change it.

my last astra was pretty much the same unscrew a small panel in the passenger footwell and boom access to the lot .contrast with my Renault espace  which required removal of the whole dash and center console which  in turn required removal of the front seats to give access the dash was that big 

• Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, russ p said:

I've got this job to do soon, there is actually only five bolts that hold the dash , once the instruments are out everything else is 'supposed ' to slide off. Mine is to replace a cracked dash was yours the heater motor? 

The manual says remove the dash for matrix removal but this is not the case

The motor is fine, some tatty looking bits of curly wire and a cut out on a scratty bit of PCB. The cut out was open circuit so my son's replaced it with a fuse on long wires so it's accessible.

While he was at it replaced the corroding heater inlet pipes with a mixture of copper and hose, the copper because I had some sitting around.

Biggest problem seems to be getting the top of the dash back behind the clips at the bottom of the windscreen and also realigning the heater controls and vent outlets, not really a one man job.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, great central said:

The motor is fine, some tatty looking bits of curly wire and a cut out on a scratty bit of PCB. The cut out was open circuit so my son's replaced it with a fuse on long wires so it's accessible.

While he was at it replaced the corroding heater inlet pipes with a mixture of copper and hose, the copper because I had some sitting around.

Biggest problem seems to be getting the top of the dash back behind the clips at the bottom of the windscreen and also realigning the heater controls and vent outlets, not really a one man job.

Those heater pipes can be a right pain.

Dash replacement  is definitely one job I'm not looking forward too when I put mine back on the road, I've removed and replaced the mk1 plastic dash but only removed the later mk2  ones

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My dad's Hillman Hunter 1725 alloy head with overdrive. I'd passed my test and he let me borrow it. What a beast. It would see off Cortina 1600 Es with ease. Lots of fun, but seemingly unavailable today...

20150611204825_05.jpg

• Like 11

Didn't they also do a sporty version. I seem to recall my Dad having one with stripes down the side when he sold his Midget. Not his normal cup of tea at all. He moved on to Imps after that!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 96701 said:

My dad's Hillman Hunter 1725 alloy head with overdrive. I'd passed my test and he let me borrow it. What a beast. It would see off Cortina 1600 Es with ease. Lots of fun, but seemingly unavailable today...

20150611204825_05.jpg

The reg' number isn't far off my first Rover P6, a '73 2000TC (one of the last made) which was 'WCW 375M'....

ZXZ MooGster & Blagster.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, 96701 said:

I've clicked "Like" but can't believe I've done that for an image of a Hillman Hunter.....

Weren't the warmed versions known as Holbay Hunters after the manufacturer of the special carbs?  Just consulted Wikipedia; yes).

• Like 3