RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Photos c/o Tony H on the Wood & Pickett facebook group : some more photos a well known Mk3 W&P Mini with Mercedes front lights which formerly bore the reg' number '50 MAR' leading to some folk assuming it belonged to Omar Sharif (it didn't, and previous to that number it had '777 ACE'), it has been kept in an underground car park in Cannes for last twenty years or so, at some point the standard Cooper grille was replaced with the Mercedes Benz grille treatment, the owning family still retain the '50 MAR' reg; number.... definitely an acquired taste but an interesting period piece in the history of modified Minis....

W&P 50 MAR Cannes 070820 TH1.jpg

W&P 50 MAR TH3.jpg

W&P 50 MAR Cannes B.jpg

W&P 50 MAR TH1.jpg

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Photos c/o Tony H on the Wood & Pickett facebook group : some more photos a well known Mk3 W&P Mini with Mercedes front lights which formerly bore the reg' number '50 MAR' leading to some folk assuming it belonged to Omar Sharif (it didn't, and previous to that number it had '777 ACE'), it has been kept in an underground car park in Cannes for last twenty years or so, at some point the standard Cooper grille was replaced with the Mercedes Benz grille treatment, the owning family still retain the '50 MAR' reg; number.... definitely an acquired taste but an interesting period piece in the history of modified Minis....

W&P 50 MAR TH3.jpg

W&P 50 MAR Cannes B.jpg

W&P 50 MAR TH1.jpg

I'm surprised it hasn't been hidden from sight for a great deal longer than 20 years.

Julian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Kickstart said:

As I lived around there as a kid for 18 months shortly afterwards, this tweaked my interest

Think this is the location now

https://goo.gl/maps/oFA5fQE8wG6WspPY7

All the best

Katy

What's the squarish thing behind the Mini? Opel? Or some Eastern Bloc abomination I've forgotten about?

11 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

W&P 50 MAR TH3.jpg

W&P 50 MAR Cannes B.jpg

W&P 50 MAR TH1.jpg

Did that once appear in Custom Car magazine, under the heading Purple Meanie? That would have been c1972 and prior to the Merc grille. It does look to have been purple in that guise.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, PatB said:

What's the squarish thing behind the Mini? Opel? Or some Eastern Bloc abomination I've forgotten about?

If we are talking about the same photo and car, I think that it is a Hillman Hunter Estate.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think you'll find that it's a VW K70, a fruit of VW's absorption of NSU and a sign that they understood the need to move on from rear-mounted air-cooled flat-fours.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

46 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

If we are talking about the same photo and car, I think that it is a Hillman Hunter Estate.

24 minutes ago, SamT said:

I think you'll find that it's a VW K70, a fruit of VW's absorption of NSU and a sign that they understood the need to move on from rear-mounted air-cooled flat-fours.

Oops. Quoted the wrong post, but the photo is the one of the kings Road in 1973. Front to back there's a Renault 4, an MGB, a Mini Van and it. Definitely not a Hunter. I didn't consider the K70 for 2 reasons. Firstly because I'd forgotten about it, like 99.99% of the population, but also because it looks too square, the K70 (IIRC) sharing its basic shell with the NSU Ro80. However, having now noticed its reflection in the adjacent shop window, I have to admit that the greenhouse does look quite K70/Ro80esque

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Weird grills is an odd thing I do not like it.

Take car A and rebrand as B.

So far seen a picture of a Golf with BMW branding.

Opels with body kits to look like an Audi (WHY? Opel are much better).

Then I have seen wierd little cars branded as both Mercedes and BMW, funny little far east mini people carriers originally. But very common coversions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PatB said:

I didn't consider the K70 for 2 reasons. Firstly because I'd forgotten about it, like 99.99% of the population, but also because it looks too square, the K70 (IIRC) sharing its basic shell with the NSU Ro80.

No, the two did not share bodies. The K70 apparently had a taller engine, one reason for the very abrupt front. More on it here.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PatB said:

Oops. Quoted the wrong post, but the photo is the one of the kings Road in 1973. Front to back there's a Renault 4, an MGB, a Mini Van and it. Definitely not a Hunter. I didn't consider the K70 for 2 reasons. Firstly because I'd forgotten about it, like 99.99% of the population, but also because it looks too square, the K70 (IIRC) sharing its basic shell with the NSU Ro80. However, having now noticed its reflection in the adjacent shop window, I have to admit that the greenhouse does look quite K70/Ro80esque

I was looking at another photo as per the quote.

The K70 was not one of VWs best efforts.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, alastairq said:

Plus, is that an Alfa, trying to turn right up the road the Vauxhall Victor FB is exiting?  

Is that a Lotus Europa just beyond the  zebra crossing?

Defintely a 105 series AR Guilia Coupe. I think that it's a GTJ rather than GTV.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alastairq said:

Plus, is that an Alfa, trying to turn right up the road the Vauxhall Victor FB is exiting?  

Is that a Lotus Europa just beyond the  zebra crossing?

Difficult to tell, but looks too angular for a Europa to me.

All the best

Katy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I was looking at another photo as per the quote.

The K70 was not one of VWs best efforts.

At the time it was thought to be a real jump ahead for VW, I remember the fanfare at the local dealers on the launch, I had to attend to take piccies for the local paper......a very different car for VW........and one that died a death a few years later.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the K70 had something to do with the failure and subsequent takover of NSU by VW? The NSU R080 was one of the most advanced cars both mechnically (although a blind alley) and aesthetically it was in a class of its own.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

No, the two did not share bodies. The K70 apparently had a taller engine, one reason for the very abrupt front. More on it here.

Interesting and informative. All I can say in my defence is that I don't think I've ever seen one in the metal, let alone alongside an Ro80. All I can really remember is one of those line drawing lengthways sections that Which? Magazine used to do when they still did proper car tests. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Was the K70 the first mass produced car to have plug in diagnostics or am I confusing it with another model?

I believe...the first with an onboard diagnostics ability was the VW type 3?  [Fastback/notchback/variant]

Certainly, when I got mine [back in the 1970's....] they were available with carbs..or with Bosch electronic fuel injection. [Which I think was another 'first'..??]

So the EFI version would have had an onboard computer EMS...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Silent footage of the traffic in the Kings Road, Chelsea in 1967, including glimpses of the famous hip swinging fab gear emporium 'Granny Takes A Trip'.... spot the white E-Type roadster and the white Alfa Giulia SS behind it....

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Complete with Afghan Hound, no less.  I remember the ancient Roller, I think it just parked there.  Granny Takes a Trip qualifies for a mention in this thread in it's own right; for some time it featured the front end of '47 Dodge protruding from the window.

https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6075/6049245548_0d89cafd4c_o.jpg  

The owners, Nigel Waymouth and Michael English, were also the 'psychedelic' poster designers, Hapshash and The Coloured Coat, and made two music albums under that name. I have both.

L.E.G. O'Hippy

• Like 2