The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, PatB said:

I don't normally take much notice of Google alerts, but this one drew my attention today. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-30/rare-ford-falcon-sells-for-300k-after-30-years-in-shed/12503282

A great story - and all the side-bar items tell me a little about life in Oz! Sherry's daughter in Geelong is apparently in some sort of lockdown again, w Victoria having a nasty patch right now. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LBSC123 said:

1950 Morris Minor Lowlight Saloon: Fitted with 1275 engine and 4 speed plus overdrive gearbox, tele' shocks, Marina disc brakes and a Morris 1000 rear axle, running on Morris Van 4.5J wheels. 

IMG_2038_2.JPG.c5f3dc9f9fa98c62aeda101a3156f6a4.JPG

Both of the above are daily drivers'. 

I'm also currently working on a 1950 Morris Minor Lowlight Tourer imported from America and to be fitted with an Alta OHV head conversion. 

Sacrilege! How can you do that to Low-light Minors?!

Just kidding, if it makes them daily drivers then all the better.  Dad is selling his 1949 Low-light, complete with side-valve engine.  Has barely done any miles in the 30+ years we've owned it.  Hopefully it will find a careful new owner...... and the proceeds can go towards rebuilding (for a third time) the 1955 Convertible that has been in our family for 48 years.  Like yours, that's also updated with the 1098 engine, Sierra disks etc and was for a long time a daily driver, but was allowed to deteriorate outside for too long.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, LBSC123 said:

I must admit to have not reading the previous 517 pages of this thread, but thought my three classic cars might be of interest, as outlined below. 

1950 Morris Minor Lowlight Saloon: Fitted with 1275 engine and 4 speed plus overdrive gearbox, tele' shocks, Marina disc brakes and a Morris 1000 rear axle, running on Morris Van 4.5J wheels. 

IMG_2038_2.JPG.c5f3dc9f9fa98c62aeda101a3156f6a4.JPG

1967 Morris Minor 4-door Saloon: Fitted with 1275 engine and 4 speed overdrive gearbox, fitted with tele' shocks, Marina disc brakes and a Marina rear axle, running on MGF spare wheels. 

IMG_6074.jpg.2da166e4657e5b4c289ceaeb4070142a.jpg

Both of the above are daily drivers'. 

I'm also currently working on a 1950 Morris Minor Lowlight Tourer imported from America and to be fitted with an Alta OHV head conversion. 

MGf spare wheels are actually MG maestro/ montego 14in steels . A lot of MGf parts were straight out of the Austin rover parts bin especially metro and maestro bits with rover 200 engines thrown into the mix 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Sacrilege! How can you do that to Low-light Minors?!

Just kidding, if it makes them daily drivers then all the better.  Dad is selling his 1949 Low-light, complete with side-valve engine.  Has barely done any miles in the 30+ years we've owned it.  Hopefully it will find a careful new owner...... and the proceeds can go towards rebuilding (for a third time) the 1955 Convertible that has been in our family for 48 years.  Like yours, that's also updated with the 1098 engine, Sierra disks etc and was for a long time a daily driver, but was allowed to deteriorate outside for too long.

I don't feel too bad about  modifying the Lowlight above. The car looks totally stock bar some seats with headrests and has donated the running gear to the 1950 Tourer, the Alta head conversion is a period one which fits onto the 918cc sidevalve engine. The car was very rusty (VERY RUSTY) but lockdown has enabled significant progress on it, so every cloud and all that.

Below is a photograph of the 1950 Saloon just after it had returned from the paint shop alongside the tourer, this picture doesn't show how rusty it was underneath!

P1020282.JPG.522f105b9d1eb6412f486baf751b1433.JPG

The Morris in your family sounds like a lovely story, I'd love to see some pictures. My Dad has had his 1952 Morris Convertible, similarly modified, since he was 21, so 42 years. They're wonderful cars. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, steve1 said:

Seen in my local garage. Given the choice between one of the or an MGB, I would take the Alpine.

steve

F56FAE13-5E64-45B7-82FC-969D652CA3E8.jpeg

42C67932-62CA-40A2-A370-759AC1697376.jpeg

Young couple who bought our first house back in about 1978 used the back bedroom to layout all the components of the Alpine Tiger the lad was restoring, his Dad ran a large automotive repairers in Basildon so the paint finish was immaculate, never knew what happened to it once we moved further away.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Young couple who bought our first house back in about 1978 used the back bedroom to layout all the components of the Alpine Tiger the lad was restoring, his Dad ran a large automotive repairers in Basildon so the paint finish was immaculate, never knew what happened to it once we moved further away.

The Met Police ran some Tigers back in the early 1970's...I recall looking down on one from the cab of my LT RT decker, into one...with its drop-down light box in the back window....hardtop, I seem to recall....tight squeeze for two of the copper-shaped coppers that were the norm in those days.....[Unlike cars, Police seem to have got thinner and smaller as time passes?]

• Like 4

3 hours ago, steve1 said:

Seen in my local garage. Given the choice between one of the or an MGB, I would take the Alpine.

steve

F56FAE13-5E64-45B7-82FC-969D652CA3E8.jpeg

42C67932-62CA-40A2-A370-759AC1697376.jpeg

That brings back happy memories. Had wire wheels on mine and a little something extra under the bonnet.

• Like 2

On the way home form work last night I drove past a local bodyshop (it's right next to the short viaduct taking the old Up Market Harborough line out of Rugby), parked outside were a split screen Moggy Minor, an MG Midget and an early two door Range Rover, just visible in the doorway was a very tasty looking white S-Type Jag and the rear end of a white S1 or S2 XJ6. 

• Like 4

This left-hand drive Humber Super Snipe has recently been parked outside a house near us. I've not seen it move, so I presume it's for restoration. The occupants of the house have restored and sold several motorbikes, but this would be the first car. 

IMG_1814.JPG.f9d4d468efedc10a79afe89922983690.JPG

• Like 11

On 03/08/2020 at 20:28, peanuts said:

why just why ? 

Screenshot_20200803-132703_Facebook.jpg

Because Australians will waste no opportunity to spend staggering amounts of money to destroy perfectly decent, original classic cars. Go to any car show, and roughly 50% of what's on display has been expensively FUBAR'd by philistines.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A while back I posted some photos of the unique and rather fabulous 1968 'GKN' Lotus Europa, since then I've come across a few more shots of it which I thought I'd share on here. Quite well known for having a 4.4 litre Rover V8 engine and ZF gearbox fitted, it is a very different car to the Type 47 on which it is based, as it is actually ten inches longer, with a three inch longer wheelbase, a specially built chassis ans and subtly reworked bodyshell with a higher rear deck lid (to accomodate the V8), along with hundreds of unique alloy parts from the GKN / Vandervel stable.... the 'GKN 47D' reg' number was originally on a moped....

GKN 47D IMG_0534.jpg

GKN 47d-3-1498499807.jpg

GKN 47D boot.JPG

GKN 47D engine bay side1.JPG

GKN unnamed (4)BBB.jpg

GKN log39-47d-back.jpg

GKN log39-47d-front.jpg

GKN IMAG4717.jpg

GKN IMAG4718.jpg

GKN IMAG4731.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Back in the late seventies I nearly bought a twin cam Europa......then came to my senses and got the twin cam sprint DHC instead......I still have the original factory manual for a TC Europa somewhere, I bought in anticipation of buying the car......I think reading the manual was what put me off buying one :D

• Funny 3

They could have used better-sticking gaffa tape?

I like the Europa.

Especially the original Renault-engined version.

What put me off was the lack of fresh air ventilation.

Plus, at the time I was 6 foot 4 inches tall..so might not have fitted overly easily.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Back in the late seventies I nearly bought a twin cam Europa......then came to my senses and got the twin cam sprint DHC instead......I still have the original factory manual for a TC Europa somewhere, I bought in anticipation of buying the car......I think reading the manual was what put me off buying one :D

One of our neighbour's oldest friends has a lovely yellow and white Elan Sprint drophead, I think he's owned it for at least thirty years and looks as good as new, it sounds fantastic when he arrives down the back lane behind our house. I have a look at for sale ads for them occasionally but they're often twice, if not three times the price of a usable Europa, and I thought Mini Cooper values were bonkers...!

You meet the nicest people in a Lotus.... ;)

AV Avengers TK Europa.jpg

• Like 7