The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I do remember a school friend having one of those Polistil XJ6 police cars. Don't think that I have ever seen another. It was a huge bookshelf model rather than a toy. It was very well detailed for the time. I wonder if any have survived? At least if they have they won't need complicated and expensive welding repairs. In my experience, Jaguars are lovely to drive or to look at. Absolutely horrible to work on.

I found my S2 XJ6 quite easy to work on, although I did get someone else to look at the inboard rear brakes. Engine bay access was very good all round but I wouldn't say the same for an XJ12! I've been chatting a bit with a guy on Pistonheads who owns several old Jags and he seems to be taking his three V12s in his stride, mind you he does have access to a proper workshop with two post lifts etc. This is one of his other cars, an XJS which appeared in the Sean bean TV series 'Curfew', it's a bit mad but he seems to be enjoying the challenge of getting it running properly as like many TV vehicles it was very rough and ready when he acquired it....

1590528724_XJSLUKE11.jpg.d6c61b74629565df9fed27938aa747ed.jpg

1892823107_XJSLUKE15.jpg.bf4059669318f7cb046a855be3a1d8f0.jpg

Amongst several other XJ saloons and XJSs he has this early one with factory fitted vinyl roof, nicknamed 'penguin'....

1644127892_XJSLUKE6.jpg.69dbe731a146819d0265777edfb041dc.jpg

Brave soul that he is, he recently bought what looks like a basket case Series 1 XJ12 but is actually making decent progress with it. He's about half my age so I take my hat off to him!

• Like 7

Any XJS or XJ6 that you can pick up on a  two post lift without it either breaking in half or the rear axle falling off is worth saving. Having spent a lot of time welding them for other people (who of course wanted a concours job for less money than the local mobile MOT welder, whilst boasting to anyone who would listen about how much it was worth and how cheap they got it) I avoid them like the plague. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

I found my S2 XJ6 quite easy to work on, although I did get someone else to look at the inboard rear brakes. Engine bay access was very good all round but I wouldn't say the same for an XJ12! I've been chatting a bit with a guy on Pistonheads who owns several old Jags and he seems to be taking his three V12s in his stride, mind you he does have access to a proper workshop with two post lifts etc. This is one of his other cars, an XJS which appeared in the Sean bean TV series 'Curfew', it's a bit mad but he seems to be enjoying the challenge of getting it running properly as like many TV vehicles it was very rough and ready when he acquired it....

1590528724_XJSLUKE11.jpg.d6c61b74629565df9fed27938aa747ed.jpg

1892823107_XJSLUKE15.jpg.bf4059669318f7cb046a855be3a1d8f0.jpg

Amongst several other XJ saloons and XJSs he has this early one with factory fitted vinyl roof, nicknamed 'penguin'....

1644127892_XJSLUKE6.jpg.69dbe731a146819d0265777edfb041dc.jpg

Brave soul that he is, he recently bought what looks like a basket case Series 1 XJ12 but is actually making decent progress with it. He's about half my age so I take my hat off to him!

Remember seeing that being built in the props studio at ancoats along with an espace ,granada herse a couple of volvo estates a beetle some minibusses and  couple of yank muscle cars 

• Like 2

I remember an XJ12 turning up in my favourite breakers, back in the early 80s. Memory tells me that the engine compartment was a solid mass of "stuff" from inner wing to inner wing and to within 1/2" of the closed bonnet. Not exactly an easy access proposition. 

Dad's S2 Daimler Sovreign wasn't too bad. It was just a shame that, at 10 years old, it had become a collection of niggling faults, hiding the car underneath. On the occasions it was going properly, however, it was wonderful to drive, apart from the bloody silly, 15 turns lock to lock, over assisted steering it was cursed with, thanks to the need to sell it to Americans. 

• Like 4

Herald coupe's were discontinued around 1964 along with the Courier van. A few probably got turned into convertibles (the rear body tub is the same) more will probably have been broken up for kit cars. 

The c1960 Riley 4/68 and 1965  Vauxhall 101 have probably succumbed to banger racing and the newest car there the 1967 Austin will probably have quietly dissolved....

Just out of shot on the extreme left is a Ford Corsair, not sure what the car behind the Victor 101 is, possibly a Cortina Mk1.

These are all the cars I remember as old bangers when I was a kid, they looked like something from another planet amongst a sea of Cherry's, Allegro's, Fiesta's and Samba's. 

The future was not "orange", (or bright) the future was a sea of insipid grey plastic interiors! :D

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
On 13/02/2021 at 17:49, MJI said:

I have had a number of sprts exhausts

Micron on a bike 3 to 4 bhp more from 12

2 box straight through large bore system on a Sunbeam

Most noticeable power increase with an exhaust was a maniflo one on my metro turbo and a really well made system.  I may get them to do a system for my maestro when hopefully it returns to the road this year. 

I had a bespoke one made for my rover vvc coupe last year that made it rev a lot freer 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 16/02/2021 at 09:46, boxbrownie said:

One of my favourite cars we had, but on the whole preferred the CX Pallas C-Matic we had long before.....

Thought it was quick back in the day but our little i3 is faster.......well to 60 :D

The CX was the most comfortable car I ever owned - and the most unreliable.  The first time I hit the brake pedal nearly put me through the windscreen as it had such a short travel distance.  And those finger operated rocker switches to cancel the indicators. ..... Alisdair 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, russ p said:

Most noticeable power increase with an exhaust was a maniflo one on my metro turbo and a really well made system.  I may get them to do a system for my maestro when hopefully it returns to the road this year. 

I had a bespoke one made for my rover vvc coupe last year that made it rev a lot freer 

You can get sports systems for off road cars as well, I am tempted if mine breaks. Both engine options can be sporty.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Herald coupe's were discontinued around 1964 along with the Courier van. A few probably got turned into convertibles (the rear body tub is the same) more will probably have been broken up for kit cars. 

The c1960 Riley 4/68 and 1965  Vauxhall 101 have probably succumbed to banger racing and the newest car there the 1967 Austin will probably have quietly dissolved....

Just out of shot on the extreme left is a Ford Corsair, not sure what the car behind the Victor 101 is, possibly a Cortina Mk1.

These are all the cars I remember as old bangers when I was a kid, they looked like something from another planet amongst a sea of Cherry's, Allegro's, Fiesta's and Samba's. 

The future was not "orange", (or bright) the future was a sea of insipid grey plastic interiors! :D

The Herald in the picture with the Manchester registration  is May ‘61. The Sunderland registered Wolseley, May  ‘63.

Brendan

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, ardbealach said:

The CX was the most comfortable car I ever owned - and the most unreliable.  The first time I hit the brake pedal nearly put me through the windscreen as it had such a short travel distance.  And those finger operated rocker switches to cancel the indicators. ..... Alisdair 

That's why you're either Citroen or not, the Marmite of the motoring world.

Personally I've been a sufferer/enjoyer of the marque solely since 1987 when I traded in a Rover SD1 for a brand new BX!

Mike.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, Beechnut said:

The Herald in the picture with the Manchester registration  is May ‘61. The Sunderland registered Wolseley, May  ‘63.

Brendan

Interesting, I remember someone having a black over red Farina A40 registered 1429ND. Is there a listing of what was registered where available?

The Riley will be a 4/72 if it's May 1963, but the where and when was it registered site misidentified it too 

Riley:

376978597_Riley4-72frontb.jpg.135ac1769a981c963c6412f12a551301.jpg

Wolseley:

280px-Wolseley_16-60_front.jpg.fdd5fbd00e2d374cf2f1c4c590b8c6a2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

When I ran a Spitfire in the late 70s the going rate for a Herald engine was £10. For another fiver the breaker would leave the gear box on and help you load it!

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Interesting, I remember someone having a black over red Farina A40 registered 1429ND. Is there a listing of what was registered where available?

Registered in Manchester 1961. The reversed ND registrations were issued between May and December that year. That information is from Glass's registration guide 1929-1963. This lists registration numbers between those dates and when they were issued and by what registration authority. Glass's guides were issued to car dealers every year and should have been returned. The registration guides ceased in 1962/3 with the advent of year letters and a few were never returned. They are very useful in many ways and are much sought after and sometimes sell for over £100 on E-bay, not bad for an almost sixty year old paperback.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, ardbealach said:

Ahhh the perils of the “button on the floor” brake......you have to admit though once used to it every other car at the time felt so underbraked.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The Riley and Wolseley pics remind us there were high-wing Farinas before there were low-wing versions. 

Yes, the Riley and MG versions retained their 'clipped' high wings after the other three got revised wings in 1961. Because of their forward angled rear lights their wing tips looked less heavy-handed than the Austin, Morris and Wolseley versions.

• Like 2