RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

On 22/02/2022 at 19:58, peanuts said:

This old girl has been rescued from the scrap line after sitting under a tarp stacked high with odd bits of timber and scrap .gonna be a long road back 

20220222_113737.jpg

Definitely something to be done for the challenge/enjoyment of restoration rather than as a financial investment.

Sheldon Talago/Classic Britain (the chap who sorted out my late teacher's P6 collection) has now stopped buying P6s to restore as when he tried selling the ones he'd done, most of the interest came from people who wanted to break them for spares to keep their own examples going!

(Though I can't help thinking that some of my teacher's cars that were past saving could have yielded useful parts to restore the above example!)

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Definitely something to be done for the challenge/enjoyment of restoration rather than as a financial investment.

Sheldon Talago/Classic Britain (the chap who sorted out my late teacher's P6 collection) has now stopped buying P6s to restore as when he tried selling the ones he'd done, most of the interest came from people who wanted to break them for spares to keep their own examples going!

(Though I can't help thinking that some of my teacher's cars that were past saving could have yielded useful parts to restore the above example!)

saddly after an assessment the chassis was found to be too far gone after spending 19 years un touched the tin worm had  done its worst leaving it structurally unsound  engine and box removed this weekend rest up for grabs for the next couple of weeks then its off to make razorblades 

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, peanuts said:

saddly after an assessment the chassis was found to be too far gone after spending 19 years un touched the tin worm had  done its worst leaving it structurally unsound  engine and box removed this weekend rest up for grabs for the next couple of weeks then its off to make razorblades 

Pretty much what happened to most of my old teacher's collection, sadly - one of the ones I remember from my schooldays snapped in half when they tried to tow it away!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Pretty much what happened to most of my old teacher's collection, sadly - one of the ones I remember from my schooldays snapped in half when they tried to tow it away!

saw it up on ramps whilst engine was removed was clearly bending in the middle 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I had a Reliant Kitten van that stood in the front garden for about five years. Fortunately the chassis was still in good order after that and they're relatively easy to repair anyway. I had a sudden attack of reality and realised that I was highly unlikely to ever get it back on the road so I sold it on to a mate a few years ago. He made a start on restoring it but there has been no progress recently.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Thats the 'Twini Moke' military prototype. Note the twin engines.

Good spot.  ISTR the story of how this nearly killed it's chief designer when the rear wheels, which duplicated the same driveshaft and suspension set-up as the front but were fixed directionally, suddenly turned to the lock, at speed and flipped the car.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Good spot.  ISTR the story of how this nearly killed it's chief designer when the rear wheels, which duplicated the same driveshaft and suspension set-up as the front but were fixed directionally, suddenly turned to the lock, at speed and flipped the car.

That was John Cooper who was trying out the twin engine idea in a Mini Cooper. To this day there is a lump missing from the bridge he hit. Can't remember which one, you'll need to Google for it. 

13 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

It was either that or make an entirely new four wheel drive system, Citroen did the same with the 2CV.

They did actually make an entirely new four wheel drive system for the Moke. 

It was a simple prop shaft running straight off the front diff to the rear axle and engaged by a dog clutch. No centre diff or anything fancy since you were only supposed to use it when you got stuck. 

The prototype ended up towing non-running MGBs off the end of the production line. 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 30801 said:

It was a simple prop shaft running straight off the front diff to the rear axle and engaged by a dog clutch. No centre diff or anything fancy since you were only supposed to use it when you got stuck. 

The prototype ended up towing non-running MGBs off the end of the production line. 

That’s interesting, what did they use as a rear axle as obviously the Mini is just trailing arms?

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 30801 said:

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

That’s interesting, what did they use as a rear axle as obviously the Mini is just trailing arms?

Actually it was the Austin Ant, a slightly larger vehicle based on the ADO16. It used the rear axle from the Farina A40 IIRC.

image.png.4d7d19b2999bb185355c0bacc2c4cec9.png

There was several prototypes, at least two survive.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Went to a charity shop in Nantwich earlier and spotted this paperback book on the shelf

28B834BD-4DC0-4463-90CA-F254FE37E530.jpeg.54a5dd022702353415c3305a697be699.jpeg

couldn’t make out what it was so flicked through it and discovered it was a guide to the 2019 Goodwood festival of speed, then noticed one of the pages had a hand written sharpie signature on it, stig Blomqvist, certainly a nice little find!

B1DC4D5B-5011-4AED-BED1-92C83FBE8D98.jpeg.269b7d12b21203e0d955b22a975b9f9e.jpeg

• Like 12

46210250_6c9094c749_b.jpg

Owned this for some years before I gave up on ever having either the time to fix it properly or the money to have someone else do it.  1967 Ford Thunderbird 4-door with rear suicide doors.  7 liter engine, fuel consumption around 9mpg.

Edited by Morven
  • Like 9

This is me and our 1957 Chrysler Windsor at Cheltenham Registry Office around 1990 providing the wedding car for good friend Tim Soos US Airman from RAF Fairford.

The car was built in Windsor Ontario and was last used in Vancouver; apparently carrying Burger bar advertising on its side. Great car but a little big for Gloucestershire roads!

fullsizeoutput_a50.jpeg

• Like 10

On 26/02/2022 at 17:40, boxbrownie said:

No picture here, just a “throbbing grey square” :wacko:

That is my favourite car in the picture. The grey NSU ro80.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Virgil said:

This is me and our 1957 Chrysler Windsor at Cheltenham Registry Office around 1990 providing the wedding car for good friend Tim Soos US Airman from RAF Fairford.

The car was built in Windsor Ontario and was last used in Vancouver; apparently carrying Burger bar advertising on its side. Great car but a little big for Gloucestershire roads!

fullsizeoutput_a50.jpeg

External airbags? Even back then??  :)

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, rocor said:

That is my favourite car in the picture. The grey NSU ro80.

Aha thank you, it’s still throbbing here….something an NSU Ro80 never did ;)

I covered the launch for the local rag at the time.

• Like 1

Sidmouth in the early '70s, presumably the first 'pay at pump' service, wit ha '67 Mk1 Austin Mini Countryman in the background and a 1970 / 71 Mk3 Cooper S on the left with an additional Mk2 1275 Cooper S badge....

1941899668_MK3MINICOOPERSSIDMOUTH1970s.jpeg.944f6f6edf1da9b6d71c291fed6f0a33.jpeg

• Like 7