The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

90000 miles is not often, did mine I about 1-1/2 days first lime and leisurely, and that includes removing & refitting the extra lpg bits.

That's not bad going that, to be honest didn't really think about an LPG V6 as an economy vehicle but it does make sence

For economy, lpg is around 50-55p/litre, same mpg as petrol.

My original Y plate gold one I had for around 9 years, and converted it around 60k, ran it almost to "moon mileage" as we know it in the Owners Club. (That is 230k, I was slightly under). I got around 32mpg locally, up to 42mpg on a good run. So cheap to run.

It succumbed with a brake pipe failure. Although I actually ordered one on ebay, whilst searching for it I came across a blue 04 reg one which I purchased. with around 111k on the clock. This had the lpg kit transferred over to it. Though I never did an accurate "brimfull" mpg test, it was more economical, as expected, as it had 17" wheels instead of 15".

Sadly, after approaching 2 years use, a saga began a couple of months back. After visiting my daughter in her longish cul-de-sac, the car was clipped by a builders van, causing a (minor) dent in the offside rear wing. Of course, insurance wanted to right it off - and I had done some serious work with new suspension and brakes all round, among other things. So I settled for keeping the car, and getting a cheque for £1267; also a repair quote locally for £860 from an excellent bodyshop. So far so good, except that a couple of weeks later, same cul-de-sac, the engine decided to dump all its oil.....something I've never had in over 50 years driving.

Upshot of this was to buy from a dealer a silver model 53 plate car, with some more optional extras fitted....and £7 change from the cheque! An absolutely immaculate car, less than 90k on the clock with lots of history, & 3 very minor faults. 

I'm about 80% lpg converted, the rest will be done when I get back home after Xmas. The blue car is being stripped for spares (too many good parts to go with the shell to the scrappy). I'm extremely pleased, as nothing else is available that I'd rather have, including I must say, the Mk2 version. I feel that is not as pretty, and the bean counters got at the production, removing a lot of nice things.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Apparently the Mk2 versions of all the Zs are worse with poor quality components and cheaper electronic modules.

I was looking for a diesel 45 or ZS and the later ones had rusty tanks and suspension components.

So I ended up with a one owner 69k ZT135 which I'm happy with .

My ZR is a late mk1 but a project drive car which was when the stripped things such as cup holders in the door pockets and grab handles. I would like some of those but don't fancy making holes in the headlining in case the threaded holes are no longer present.

The previous owner refitted twin horns and illuminated ignition lock

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That's not bad going that, to be honest didn't really think about an LPG V6 as an economy vehicle but it does make sence

Sometimes a larger unstressed engine can be more economical than a highly stressed small engine. Quite a few early Transit motor caravans had their 2 litre V4 engines replaced with the 2.6 litre V6 when it was found that not only was performance enhanced but so was fuel consumption.

• RMweb Gold

Joined the 75/ZT club over Christmas, they have developed a 160bhp remap package for the diesel

Had it installed today and a full T4 diagnostic check. Absolutely transforms the car even though its only 30 bhp more the torque seems to increased a lot and acceleration is vastly improved. Its all returning 48 mpg instead of 42.

Would defiantly recommend to anyone with these vehicles.

Next mod is hopefully a text activated webasto auxiliary heater so no more cold car on winter mornings

• Like 5

Another oldie from the archive of loveliness, globetrotter extraordinaire Alan Whicker with his SIII Bentley Continental Flying Spur...

post-7638-0-59656600-1546374059.jpg

(Bonus Piper GT in the background on the left  ;) )

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 7

A nice wee 'spot' watching 'Hazell' on dvd last night, filmed in 1977 and broadcast in March '78, an episode featuring a couple of dolly birds making a fast getaway from a London mews flat in a nicely modified 1967 Mk1 Austin Cooper, the bonnet badge is missing but it has the stainless steel brightwork on the door frames, Cosmic aftermarket wheel arch extensions, a monotone 'Rolls Royce Regal Red' paint job, Wood & Pickett style tinted glass with double glazed rear quarterlights, European aftermarket nudge bars and four spoke GKN alloys...

post-7638-0-29732300-1546517035_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-51248500-1546517080_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-49074700-1546517144_thumb.jpg

Leading man Nicholas Ball drives a rather nice Stag in every episode, it's only two years older than the green one Dennis Waterman drove thirty years later in 'New Tricks'...

post-7638-0-57205300-1546517221_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-25697100-1546517240_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

More from Glen Fairweathers Flickr Stream. Not familiar with that headlight conversion or the faux knock ons.

32548430878_d338db1a5b_b.jpgCotswolds? 1963 by Glen Fairweather, on Flickr

Nice single 5" Lucas spot under the AA & RAC badges.

32408519698_5d56a3d086_b.jpgA Rover seen in 1964 by Glen Fairweather, on Flickr

and one for the car spotters.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Can confirm that Clubman is Tundra, same colour as my Marina estate was. Somewhat dulled by neglect, I was forever being asked if it had a military history...

Lagoon is a stunning colour, as modelled by a friend's Mumford Marina here

It was a serious contender for my estate but we went with Black Tulip in the end, I thought it might be a bit much. Another friend has an estate in Aconite that I took up to the NEC last year, it's quite a bit brighter.

Edit, Kev's estate at the NEC here

Sorry, I only think in Marinas. It's a terrible affliction...

Can you use a spare flywheel off a Marina 1275? I have one that I can't use.

• Like 2

I'll have the Borgward Isabella estate on the left please.

In the mid seventies one of my lecturers drove  Moskvitch estate. We asked him if he was barmy for buying such a heap of tin.

His reaction was to shrug his shoulders and agree that he must be bonkers as he then related how he'd he had part ex'd his Borgward Isabella estate to buy bloody thing.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll have the Borgward Isabella estate on the left please.

And possibly a Sunbeam Supreme in front of it.......first car I ever had a crash in, I hasten to add I was a rear compartment passenger, the front seat passenger went through the UN toughened front screen.....all I remember was loads of blood as I ran to the nearest house to raise the alarm.....I was about 15 and in a panick of course.

More from Glen Fairweathers Flickr Stream. Not familiar with that headlight conversion or the faux knock ons.

32548430878_d338db1a5b_b.jpgCotswolds? 1963 by Glen Fairweather, on Flickr

Thanks for that find!

Some time ago [in fact, probably several times ago?] I mentioned having seen, as a young teenager, a Sprite that lived locally to me [i lived in Sutton Coldfield at the time..I think the Sprite lived in Four Oaks, just up the road from me]......which had what i now see as, exactly the same headlights as pictured above. Such a pity we cannot see the whole registration number?  IIRC, the car I used to see very regularly, was dark [bRG?} green....cannot recall what sort of wheels it had, however.

For decades I have pondered as to whether this headlight set-up was one of the prototypes tried by BMC before they gave up and left them popped up permanently on the Sprite?

Or, was there a kit around [1960's, up to 1967, when I left home for good].....that could be retro fitted?

• Like 1

And possibly a Sunbeam Supreme in front of it.......first car I ever had a crash in, I hasten to add I was a rear compartment passenger, the front seat passenger went through the UN toughened front screen.....all I remember was loads of blood as I ran to the nearest house to raise the alarm.....I was about 15 and in a panick of course.

Yes that is correct, Sunbeam 90 Mk3 in front. My dad's one used to be this colour scheme before he bought it but someone had resprayed it 2 tone green that it still wears today.

• Like 1