The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, royaloak said:

my friend changes his car every 3 years because he doesnt want an 'old' car, yep he thinks a 4 year old car is old.

Whereas if I had a 4 years old car i would call it a ‘new car’ 

anything past say an 10 plate is extravagant to me

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, big jim said:

Whereas if I had a 4 years old car i would call it a ‘new car’ 

anything past say an 10 plate is extravagant to me

You and me both, my daily driver is an 03 plate BMW estate, the other half had an 02 plate Astra until the oil control rings packed up, now she has an 09 plate Fester oops I mean Fiesta, that is 'new' in my eyes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hobby said:

Just to clarify (and I've just gone out and checked this on the Golf with the help of my daughter!) when the car is in Drive and is held by the automatic brakes the rear brake lights are NOT lit, they only come on when the brake peddle is depressed. Hill Hold does not leave the brake lights on.

That's strange because the brake lights on mine (2017 GTD manual) definitely stay on with auto hold. Can see the reflection of them in the vehicle behind. Maybe different for an auto. I like the auto hold until it occasionally decides not to release when I pull away.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My daily driver is a 2013 Audi Q3, DSG box. Using 'hill hold', the auto handbrake, the brake lights do not remain on unless I have my foot on the brake pedal as well. If I am using stop start which, in some countries, is a legal requirement then, in order to turn the engine off, I have to keep my foot on the brakes. So in some countries, albeit not in the UK, I have to dazzle the driver behind when stopped in a traffic queue in order to remain legal .......

Anyway we digress from this thread which is about classics, does my Peugeot 306 S16 count? It is 25 years old, uses the same engine that the Peugeot 405 BTCC cars used and is, sadly, not in the best of health at present as the head gasket has blown. Oh, and it is rather rare being down to about 50 or so remaining apparently. Question  is do I pay a man to repair it?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Anyway we digress from this thread which is about classics, does my Peugeot 306 S16 count? It is 25 years old, uses the same engine that the Peugeot 405 BTCC cars used and is, sadly, not in the best of health at present as the head gasket has blown. Oh, and it is rather rare being down to about 50 or so remaining apparently. Question  is do I pay a man to repair it?

Me personally, I would say it belongs in the other thread as it is a 'modern' design.

You could always have a go yourself, although it shouldnt be too expensive to repair.

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, royaloak said:

Me personally, I would say it belongs in the other thread as it is a 'modern' design.

You could always have a go yourself, although it shouldnt be too expensive to repair.

But, if we had the original classic car rolling tax exemption it would be tax free this year. Now it is a 40 year exemption I'll have to wait a bit longer.

• Like 1

Oh boy do you lot like to dissect things! I did say 80s cars could go in either but 90s on definitely in the other thread I'd suggest...

As for what a classic is there's no right or wrong.  There are sone bread and butter cars from the 60s and 70s that are now rarer than Minors and E types so if rarety was a pointer then they woukd be and the Moggies not!!

Edited by Hobby

11 minutes ago, Richard E said:

But, if we had the original classic car rolling tax exemption it would be tax free this year. Now it is a 40 year exemption I'll have to wait a bit longer.

Which was probably done because of the number of cars managing to survive 25 years old now, good old bangernomics.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, royaloak said:

Which was probably done because of the number of cars managing to survive 25 years old now, good old bangernomics.

Agreed. My first car was a 14 year old Fiesta, which was pretty knackered. My current car is a 14 year old Avensis, and drives almost like new - we've also got a 20 year old Micra which is also in far better condition than the Fiesta was...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, stewartingram said:

I always thought, byy the time I was driving, that separating the brake light out to the centre of the car, away from the rearlights, was a good idea, making it more noticeable, though I would have combined the operation with the more normal twin brake lights with the rear lights.

Could do with fog lights being mounted separately from brake lights, given how much some people over use them.

katy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hobby said:

Oh boy do you lot like to dissect things! I did say 80s cars could go in either but 90s on definitely in the other thread I'd suggest...

As for what a classic is there's no right or wrong.  There are sone bread and butter cars from the 60s and 70s that are now rarer than Minors and E types so if rarety was a pointer then they woukd be and the Moggies not!!

Two cars that I had owned 20 years have all but disappeared. The Suzuki SJ jeep, only a handful remain and all are Sorned, none whatever on the road. The other was a Nissan Prairie (1988 F reg), one of the best cars I have ever owned, only three registered for the road.

• Informative/Useful 2

17 hours ago, Hobby said:

Quite right Jim, and I'm as guilty as the others! Trouble is people insist on putting new types of lights in old cars! ;)

Guilty to a degree. I have fitted several LED "bulbs"to this possibly old car to reduce current consumption. It doesn't extend to LED headlamps, adding running lamps or extra brake lights though.

For the eagle eyed, the US side marker light were added when a previous owner rebuilt the car in  1990. Then seventeen years old, tin worm had done its work on the sills and wings, aided by the car living for most of its life before that on the south coast of East Sussex.

111822687_BTatStonhamBarns.jpg.3f2ff06f705b8583ffea64b879a741a8.jpg

• Like 7

Regarding the Peugeot 106?

In my view, a 'classic' [as in, significant to some degree or another?]....it was  a significantly different design structure to the other stuff coming out of PSA.

It was an excellent motor car...especially in it's basic, no frills form....

Significant?

Well, it's structure was built considerably stronger [and heavier] than the next model line up [205, 309, etc]....'Stout' is how I would describe it?

I once, briefly, owned a 106 Rallye [why the 'e?']..which, in my mind, was a 'competition' model disguised as a production model...[usually the other way around?]

I found it impossible to drive it in any other manner than that of a lunatic!

Certainly I found the Rallye to be more of a hooligan when driving around, than my eldest son's 205 GTi....[which, in my mind, was a production car with aspirations of performance...opposite to the 106 Rallye in every respect.]

Plus, the Rallye was less ''in yer face'' than the 205 GTi....

So I would rate the 106 [with whatever trim/engine] as a 'classic' in the Morris Minor sense....fulfilling every one of its design & marketing briefs...I'd have another one any day...the more basic, the better, too [I don't like 'trim']...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, alastairq said:

So I would rate the 106 [with whatever trim/engine] as a 'classic' in the Morris Minor sense

And yet I wouldnt, to me its a modern design so will never be a classic in the true sense of the word, but thats why everyones opinion is as relevant as everyone elses even when they disagree.

Oh its a 1993 K plate 106 XND XRD with a 1360 diesel engine (50hp when new, quite a few have escaped and only made for about 18 months) and has the optional manual tilt/(external) slide sunroof and absolutely no other 'mod cons' at all.

Edited by royaloak
change XND to XRD
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, royaloak said:

And yet I wouldnt, to me its a modern design so will never be a classic in the true sense of the word, but thats why everyones opinion is as relevant as everyone elses even when they disagree.

Oh its a 1993 K plate 106 XND with a 1360 diesel engine (50hp when new, quite a few have escaped and only made for about 18 months) and has the optional manual tilt/(external) slide sunroof and absolutely no other 'mod cons' at all.

So what defines a classic? Many people regard the original Mini as such, yet it is transverse engine, all round independent rubber suspension, etc. so quite different to what went before. Actually most of the suspension movement was in the seats, as I recall (no sniggering at the back). In future anything "old" will be a classic, either because it was rare/desireable/expensive when new, or so common they had little intrinsic rarity value as they aged, nearly all got scrapped and there are few left.

There are those that talk of modern classics. I met some such enthusiasts at a large show several years who obviously equated expensive, loud and fast with being classic,  proudly and loudly proclaiming they drove Lamborghini's and Porsche's.

• Like 1

Whats the true sense of the word classic then? A Minor is regarded by many as a classic but in reality just a common or garden family car with a large following to push it. 

I would hope we've moved away from the old attitudes of noses in the air and can appreciate all older cars no matter if they are fancy sports cars or runabouts. For too long classic car enthusiasts have had a snobbish attitude to family cars and commercials.  I for one am glad to see that going and all old cars being welcome.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

So what defines a classic?

Um, an excellent question, I suppose in my case its cars which were old when I was young, anything that was common then I cant really class as 'classic' even though some/most would definitely be defined as such now by some.

You ask a very simple question with about 100 different answers depending on your individual viewpoint.

• Like 1

I think the term 'classic' is one that has been bestowed upon anything older .....usually by the non-cognoscenti...those who actually know so very little about what they are calling 'classic?'

I don;t [just?] refer to cars, but in fact, anything!

I even drove for a local bus company who decided to do a rebranding exercise for our particular route from our depot...they sent all us drivers on a 2 week customer care course [bought in from outside], where the tutors tried to 'convert' a dozen or so genuine, ancient, hairy-backsided bus drivers into modern customer care practitioners. [Fat chance..one woman was almost in tears trying to convince a 60 year old lifetime bus driver.....anyway, eventually, we played the game, tried to give the impression we were all snowflakes....]....

They bought us new, [longer] Volvo deckers, gave us special uniforms.....special bus liveries.....

Then they named the whole shebang, the ''Classic Line'' bus service. *  This was at least 25 years ago too!!

Nowt ''classic '' about it....the concept of bus drivers considering passengers as 'customers'...or even, fitters as 'customers' was totally alien in the bus industry at the time....yet the marketing folk thought  it ought to be called 'Classic'...

I've just heard on the telly,  a Healey 100/4 being referred to as a 'vintage' Healey....

I think the term 'classic', or 'vintage' is definitely misused...but hey, if it suits, why not? Keeps folk happy.....

To me, anything made last century is just 'old'.....

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Wish I'd kept my Nissan Bluebird. 1985 C reg, at 21yrs old and with 150K on the clock, it was still used every day for a 25 mile commute among the M4, still giving over 40mpg, and never once let me down.

Clarkson panned it when it first came out, so it must have had something going for it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Quick "plug" for Classics around Dorset, a charity event which takes place on Sunday 26. Vehicles on a run round Dorset (I don't know the route) before returning to Hazelbury Bryan for display in the afternoon.

• Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Wish I'd kept my Nissan Bluebird. 1985 C reg, at 21yrs old and with 150K on the clock, it was still used every day for a 25 mile commute among the M4, still giving over 40mpg, and never once let me down.

Clarkson panned it when it first came out, so it must have had something going for it.

I used to own a G plate Bluebird and I liked it a lot, comfy and reliable and just got on with it, nothing remarkable but a very competent car. 

• Like 1