The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

It seems that Nissan got it right during the 1980's. Its a shame that there seems to be few survivors. Probably due to a shortage of replacement parts and the scrappage scheme.

Not really, it is more to do with the fact that Japanese vehicles of that era were never rust proofed or undersealed at the factory, no salt on Japanese roads so they never bothered for exports either, they rusted away at an alarming rate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Hobby said:

Whats the true sense of the word classic then? A Minor is regarded by many as a classic but in reality just a common or garden family car with a large following to push it. 

I would hope we've moved away from the old attitudes of noses in the air and can appreciate all older cars no matter if they are fancy sports cars or runabouts. For too long classic car enthusiasts have had a snobbish attitude to family cars and commercials.  I for one am glad to see that going and all old cars being welcome.

To me, the definition of a classic very much includes the "I've not seen one of them in ages" factor. It must have ceased production quite some time ago (at least 10-15 years), but I don't hold with the fixed-date type definitions (for example, one show near here used 01/01/90 as a cut-off date - so a Mini or MX-5 made in '89 is allowed in, one from '90 isn't - that makes no sense to me.

So yes, a Minor is very much a classic, as are things like Marinas, and they're just as much a part of our transport heritage as e-types and such like. I'd then list a lot of the more humble 80s and 90s stuff as 'becoming a classic', such as 205s or early Golfs - it's rare to see a non-GTi version of either these days. One the other hand, modern performance cars aren't classic (interesting maybe, but not classic), nor are things that are still current and common, like Focuses (I saw a bunch of modified Focuses at a classic car show recently. Totally inappropriate IMHO, but others may disagree)

The grey area is stuff that's a bit older, but still common - like the humble K11 Nissan Micra. Out of production 17 years ago, but there's still loads on the road (we've got one), so to me, not a classic.

• Like 1

Ask 100 people "What makes a classic car?" and you'll get at least 110 different definitions.

For some it's cars of a certain age, for others it's the presence of chrome bumpers, or wire wheels.  It usually boils down to, "Any old car that I like is a classic, and any that I don't like is just an old car".

Still, it's always fun to discuss over a cuppa or a pint.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

Ask 100 people "What makes a classic car?" and you'll get at least 110 different definitions.

For some it's cars of a certain age, for others it's the presence of chrome bumpers, or wire wheels.  It usually boils down to, "Any old car that I like is a classic, and any that I don't like is just an old car".

Still, it's always fun to discuss over a cuppa or a pint.

Trabant.

Old, archaic even when it was designed. Plenty of collectors. Important to the social history of its home country. Loads built. But a classic?

2CV. Quite innovative when designed. Old. etc. A classic? I have to admit I am only really interested in early ones, say pre 1960. Even the 1980s ones are worth a small fortune now but I don't think of them as classic.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I still think the demise of all of Rootes group was really sad.

The 3 door hatch at their death throes was a great car.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I've always thought the notchback Mustang much better looking than the fastback.

Where looks are important, the fastback wins...But where ownership, usage, practicality, etc are concerned, the coupe wins hands down...but, purely personal opinion, that!!!

The folk to ask are the back seat passengers.

In the fastback,  the back seaters ride in what one can only describe as a tunnel. There is no view out except forwards.....Like a blinkered horse?

In the coupe, the opposite applies  they even have their own wee wind-down windows.

These wee rear windows, when wound down, along with the main door windows, allows a cool breeze to circulate within the car once in motion...for the front seat folk, the circulation doesn't ruffle one's hair [or dislodge one's comb-over?].....The position of the steering wheel ensures the only way to drive the things was to have one's elbow out the window, steering with one finger....as in all the proper movies? [especially with the optional power steering..light as a feather, it is...like Wallace's lady friend?]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alastairq said:

Where looks are important, the fastback wins...But where ownership, usage, practicality, etc are concerned, the coupe wins hands down...but, purely personal opinion, that!!!

The folk to ask are the back seat passengers.

In the fastback,  the back seaters ride in what one can only describe as a tunnel. There is no view out except forwards.....Like a blinkered horse?

In the coupe, the opposite applies  they even have their own wee wind-down windows.

These wee rear windows, when wound down, along with the main door windows, allows a cool breeze to circulate within the car once in motion...for the front seat folk, the circulation doesn't ruffle one's hair [or dislodge one's comb-over?].....The position of the steering wheel ensures the only way to drive the things was to have one's elbow out the window, steering with one finger....as in all the proper movies? [especially with the optional power steering..light as a feather, it is...like Wallace's lady friend?]

On practicality you're spot on Alastair, but given half a chance and the requisite funds I'd definitely go for the meaty looking '67 / '68 Fastback. When designer Gale Halderman first penned his Fastback idea in '63 it was quite aggressive looking, much more like the '67 / '68 version but it was toned down at the request of Henry Ford II and became the '65 / '66 model where the roof stops in front of the bootlid. Typically Ford were constantly tweaking the sheetmetal of the Mustang and the more aggressive styling arrived in '67 with the roof sloping right back to the rear panel. It got even bigger from '69 onwards! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

2CV. Quite innovative when designed. Old. etc. A classic? I have to admit I am only really interested in early ones, say pre 1960. Even the 1980s ones are worth a small fortune now but I don't think of them as classic.

Some of the friendliest motor racing I ever officiated at was the 2CV club! Bits fell off very frequently but spares were always available from a fellow competitor in order to keep everyone racing.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

It's funny, i hated 2CVs when they were around and seen in traffic... Now you hardly ever see one, I've quite warmed to them...

well here you go left hooked veraion thTs been meandering around chaderton of late 

20181128_145452.jpg

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Typically Ford were constantly tweaking the sheetmetal of the Mustang and the more aggressive styling arrived in '67 with the roof sloping right back to the rear panel. It got even bigger from '69 onwards! 

Ford widened the Mustang body shell for 1967....they had to..the new generations of V8 engines really didn't fit the narrower, older shell. The 289 V8 was a tight squeeze down the sides.

However, the V8 engine options proved to be the best sellers for Ford by far [although the inline 6 cylinder is no slouch....has other, different attributes....is easier to work on, for example....has excellent torque from the very bottom....]......I believe....the side panels [wings, doors, etc] are the same as the 64 1/2- 66 Mustangs....so the aggressive stance is really down to the increased width.

Knocking off an inch or so of ride height enhances the 'look'....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/05/2019 at 12:17, Hobby said:

I don't understand that. The Golf with the DSG box and S/S has an automatic handbrake which hold the car when you stop and the engine stops. The only time it doesn't is when you deliberately switch off Hill Hold. (I'm on my third DSG Golf with S/S and Hill Hold brakes, the first one was 8 years ago so it's not new technology and I've been using it since 2001).

With my older autos I've tended to keep my foot on the brake at traffic lights rather than put the car in neutral and use the handbrake unless I know the lights are going to take a few minutes to change. I once criticised an auto car driver for doing that but having driven one I can now see why he did it.

Maybe that is the case but I always applied the handbrake because that is what I have done all my driving life.  Maybe a mistrust of the car system but I prefer a mechanical handbrake I know I have put on.  We now have an older Audi A3 with DSG and if you apply the handbrake on it whilst it is still in drive it seems to want to creep still.  So I either knock it into N and apply the handbrake or more often then not just sit with my foot on the brake like I hate others doing!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 21/05/2019 at 20:22, Richard E said:

Anyway we digress from this thread which is about classics, does my Peugeot 306 S16 count? It is 25 years old, uses the same engine that the Peugeot 405 BTCC cars used and is, sadly, not in the best of health at present as the head gasket has blown. Oh, and it is rather rare being down to about 50 or so remaining apparently. Question  is do I pay a man to repair it?

The title of this thread is For those interested in old cars.  Why some have to get so hung up about this is beyond me.  Maybe the fact that some keep misquoting the title of the thread.  It could have been argued that a new thread entitled Classic Cars could/should have been started.  Blimey it is nearly as bad as the gauge arguments some days in here.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

It's probably a generation thing, as an old bloke I don't really think of much post 70s as a proper old car...

and I think of many as positively modern, that someone in their 30s would consider an old or even classic car.. I would doubtless 'pull your leg' so to speak about this, but there's room for all opinions on this I'd say..even some of the more modern old cars bring back memories of our past escapades.;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I am probably as old as you Pork!  Pull my leg all you like and you are right about the opinions. 

I don't have the slightest issue with anyone saying a car is modern or old really but my point is people banging on about the thread is for classic cars and the title says old.  I for one was interested in Big Jim's Mini pictures because they are old if you look at the newer versions yet some took offence that he even had the cheek to post them in here.  Since when did we have hard and fast rules and who is to decide what should be or not be included?  It is just a thread about 'old' cars for peoples interest and if a car of a certain age or type doesn't appeal to you move on.  I have no interest in American anything and certainly not huge cars but all I do is whiz past those posts and look at the other stuff.  It is easy done.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, chriswright03 said:

We now have an older Audi A3 with DSG and if you apply the handbrake on it whilst it is still in drive it seems to want to creep still.  So I either knock it into N and apply the handbrake or more often then not just sit with my foot on the brake like I hate others doing!

Either the idle speed is too high or the handbrake needs adjustment, with handbrake applied any automatic should remain stationary in drive.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, chriswright03 said:

Maybe that is the case but I always applied the handbrake because that is what I have done all my driving life.  Maybe a mistrust of the car system but I prefer a mechanical handbrake I know I have put on.  We now have an older Audi A3 with DSG and if you apply the handbrake on it whilst it is still in drive it seems to want to creep still.  So I either knock it into N and apply the handbrake or more often then not just sit with my foot on the brake like I hate others doing!

13 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Either the idle speed is too high or the handbrake needs adjustment, with handbrake applied any automatic should remain stationary in drive.

Automatic creep used to be a problem in the days of drum brakes and when only the more powerful models were deemed suitable to be fitted with automatic gearboxes.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Yes I mentioned that when it was serviced last week and got the Turkish shrug.  I am off back to speak to the owner next week as he speaks perfect English and will get them to have a proper look.  It is a problem here at times.  Our friend went into the local garage as we noticed she has a noisy wheel bearing.  At the garage they took the wheel off took it into the garage then came back out later and said they had fitted a new valve.  Didn't check the wheel moving on the car nor take it for a run.  She will take it elsewhere now though.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, big jim said:

Plenty of pics of my minis in the new ‘modern classics’ thread! 

Yeah went across to have a look Jim.  Still think it daft you were excluded from the 'old' car thread.  I think what you have done with the blue one looks good but then I best pop back over there to comment on it as I don't want to be castigated.:mocking_mini:

• Like 1