Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Kickstart said:

Until the name is tarnished, then  the company has lost is most valued asset.

Not sure if just me, but the name Bentayga just seems so hideously made up as to be awful

All the VAG 4x4s have a strong family resemblence from the side. To the extent that telling a Skoda from an Audi takes looking at the badge, and even the Bentley / Lambourghini badged ones are mostly differentiated by wheel size and paints!

Rolls Royce cars in general these days seem to be a caricature of traditional Rolls Royce cars. FAB 1 was far more restrained and tasteful!

Overall I suspect that the current uses of badges to sell a product will bite the manufacturers hard at some point. They can only get away with selling an unreliable and expensive to run car as being a reliable premium product based on a reputation earnt 40+ years ago for so long. When that happens it will take them decades (if ever) to recover.

All the best

Katy

Though, before the custom panels were attached to the tarted-up VAG SUVs, the VW/Audi/Skoda underpinnings were already proven reliable products. 

If the Porsche and Bentley monsters prove as dependable and durable, and retain their finish as well as my ten-year-old Yeti, nobody will have reason to grouse about them. 

Whether they are "worth" any more than what one would pay for a fully loaded Kodiaq, is a purely a matter of vanity vs sanity...  

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Though, before the custom panels were attached to the tarted-up VAG SUVs, the VW/Audi/Skoda underpinnings were already proven reliable products. 

If the Porsche and Bentley monsters prove as dependable and durable, and retain their finish as well as my ten-year-old Yeti, nobody will have reason to grouse about them. 

Whether they are "worth" any more than what one would pay for a fully loaded Kodiaq, is a purely a matter of vanity vs sanity...  

John

Isn't much of what people spend their money on nowadays driven by their "status" by showing off how much money they can spend/borrow. Conspicuous consumption/conspicuous leisure.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Sadly the market is for SUVs right now, no longer sleek saloons and coupes. Did I glimpse a Maserati-badged one a few weeks ago? Shudder. 

They exist, and yes shudder.

I suppose I could say mine is not a SUV but a 4x4.

And it takes up about the same road space as a BMW Mini

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

Are the proven reliable products, or are they unreliable but trading on 40 year old reputations? Number of issues people seem to have with VAG group products and the high cost of fixing them seems to suggest that they are not particularly reliable (whether that is the lousy wiring in one neighbours Audi, another neighbours electric VW which hasn't been reliable, or a former colleagues Audi with expensive and seemingly expected DSG issues).

An American friend of my father used to buy Golfs as they were nice enough, but also certain to have enough issues to reject under lemon laws and so save money on replacements!

All the best

Katy

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hobby said:

My initial thought was somewhere in the centre of Glasgow, at the end of Great Western Road or around that area but I can't get it to fit the photo!

The high rise flats in the back make me think it might be looking towards Woodside, but I'm from the North East, so I don't know Glasgow that well.  If it were Dundee or Aberdeen I probably wouldn't be asking the question......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Kickstart said:

Are the proven reliable products, or are they unreliable but trading on 40 year old reputations? Number of issues people seem to have with VAG group products and the high cost of fixing them seems to suggest that they are not particularly reliable (whether that is the lousy wiring in one neighbours Audi, another neighbours electric VW which hasn't been reliable, or a former colleagues Audi with expensive and seemingly expected DSG issues).

An American friend of my father used to buy Golfs as they were nice enough, but also certain to have enough issues to reject under lemon laws and so save money on replacements!

All the best

Katy

Interesting. My Yeti has a proper gearbox (6-speed) so maybe I've dodged a bullet.

I still regard electric cars as experimental anyway!

• Like 3

I did read that another reason for the preponderance of new SUVs is the actual weight of the cars due to the batteries? The SUV design being the only thing capable of hauling tons of flammable waste around...

In any event, it is all rather an irrelevance to me, since I don't think I'll ever be in a financial position of being able to acquire a new{?} car....Or even a pre 2017 'new' car?

I am looking to be left with the choice of something usable as a stiff old pensioner, that is well over the 40 year old mark....and for no more than a grand or so, if that?  Cheap to run [fuel wise, gotta be petrol], zero VED rated [even pre 2017 comes into play there?}, cheap on tyres, cheap on spares, easy to mend [one doesn't 'mend' new cars, does one?}, easy to get access to....hopefully with some sort of heater, as I feel the cold these days [probably don't eat enough?}....No, I don't picnic by the roadside...not my scene!

But I do tend to spend more time driving back lanes these days, so often take to the muddy grass verges to allow obese moderns to squeeze past...

Might help if I didn't need to wash the thing every week, too....

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Interesting. My Yeti has a proper gearbox (6-speed) so maybe I've dodged a bullet.

I still regard electric cars as experimental anyway!

Possibly. Some DSG gearboxes had major issues, but most seem mechanically OK. This was an control unit that went.

As to the electric cars being experimental, probably yes to an extent. This car spent about 6 weeks in the dealer when they bricked a control unit, and there were major issues diagnosing it short of the parts cannon (with an expensive and barely available part of a ~1 year old car).

All the best

Katy

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Wolseley said:

I have had my Skoda Octavia for 10 years now without any trouble from it.  The servicing costs don't seem unreasonably high either.

My Yeti is also ten years old but I've only had it for five. It seems to be bullet-proof mechanically and has only done 66k miles.

I aim to keep it another five before even considering a change!

The servicing costs seem generally comparable to my previous three cars, all Peugeots. Only major difference is the much shorter cam-belt replacement interval.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wolseley said:

I have had my Skoda Octavia for 10 years now without any trouble from it.  The servicing costs don't seem unreasonably high either.

52 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

My Yeti is also ten years old but I've only had it for five. It seems to be bullet-proof mechanically and has only done 66k miles.

I aim to keep it another five before even considering a change!

The servicing costs seem generally comparable to my previous three cars, all Peugeots. Only major difference is the much shorter cam-belt replacement interval.

John

Yes but they are the best name in VW group, none of this silly Audi nonsense, nice solid Skodas.

TBH the only VW group name I would consider buying.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alastairq said:

I did read that another reason for the preponderance of new SUVs is the actual weight of the cars due to the batteries? The SUV design being the only thing capable of hauling tons of flammable waste around...

My last EV weighed 200kg more than the petrol version. A chunk of weight, but the total was 1200kg which isn't much these days.

The SUV thing is just people want to drive around in two tonne SUVs for no practical reason.

• RMweb Gold

I had a Fabia turbodiesel. Great little UK car on a 51 plate. I sold it here in France at 12 years old and about 90k miles, and Richard used it as the farm runabout for about another 5 or 6 until it fell to bits in some way. Mind you, he would tow a trailer with two big round bales of hay on the back, and no doubt other ridiculous loads, and was fond of driving it across ploughed fields when needed. He is English, but when you farm in France you farm like a Frenchman! 

OTOH, when I last visited his chateau he insisted on showing me his 'VW', which was actually a 911 (997) cabrio!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I had a Fabia turbodiesel. Great little UK car on a 51 plate. I sold it here in France at 12 years old and about 90k miles, and Richard used it as the farm runabout for about another 5 or 6 until it fell to bits in some way. Mind you, he would tow a trailer with two big round bales of hay on the back, and no doubt other ridiculous loads, and was fond of driving it across ploughed fields when needed. He is English, but when you farm in France you farm like a Frenchman! 

OTOH, when I last visited his chateau he insisted on showing me his 'VW', which was actually a 911 (997) cabrio!

Never mind the French, There was a guy a few miles from here who used to carry (traditional) hay bales around on the engine cover of his Ferrari Dino! 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

2 hours ago, alastairq said:

Suspect some of it is down to wanting something with enough ground clearance and suspension travel to make speed bumps less painful

All the best

Katy

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

18 minutes ago, Kickstart said:

Suspect some of it is down to wanting something with enough ground clearance and suspension travel to make speed bumps less painful

How else are you supposed to bounce up the kerbs on the school run :)

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Kickstart said:

All the best

Katy

Not to mention road craters pot holes.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MJI said:

Yes but they are the best name in VW group, none of this silly Audi nonsense, nice solid Skodas.

TBH the only VW group name I would consider buying.

The running gear is the same, engines, gearboxes, etc. During my ownership of several Fabias it was noticeable that any spares were labeled VW!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Wolseley said:

The high rise flats in the back make me think it might be looking towards Woodside, but I'm from the North East, so I don't know Glasgow that well.  If it were Dundee or Aberdeen I probably wouldn't be asking the question......

Could be. I used to live on Hillhead Street and walk into the centre across the motorway, also drove in and out using the strange junctions around there. That's why I thought West End when I first saw it. Perhaps someone will come along shortly and put us out of our misery!

• Like 2

The Glasgow photo I reckon is around Charing Cross.  The sign shows M8 for Edinburgh and Carlisle.  So its looking north.  Its has perhaps been taken from a viewpoint over the road network and I wonder if it was taken from the bridge which I recall wasn't a bridge that was at the end of Sauchiehall Street where it met the Inner Ring Road.  I think the bridge now has offices? built on it.  Its been a fifty plus years since I worked around that part of the town. (Alisdair)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 04/02/2024 at 08:20, MJI said:

Prestige 4x4 only one is as such, and comes from solihull.

The super expensive non LR are just adverts of bad taste. Basically all the rebadged  VW 4x4s, except the VW

Maybe, but their a lot better made and a lot less nickable than a JLR product.

Rob

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, 30801 said:

How else are you supposed to bounce up the kerbs on the school run :)

For which they "need" the SUV because the roads are "too dangerous" for the kids to walk, due to all the other parents in their SUVs... 🙄

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

13 hours ago, ardbealach said:

The Glasgow photo I reckon is around Charing Cross.  The sign shows M8 for Edinburgh and Carlisle.  So its looking north.  Its has perhaps been taken from a viewpoint over the road network and I wonder if it was taken from the bridge which I recall wasn't a bridge that was at the end of Sauchiehall Street where it met the Inner Ring Road.  I think the bridge now has offices? built on it.  Its been a fifty plus years since I worked around that part of the town. (Alisdair)

After spending more time than I probably should have on Google Streetview, I'm convinced that was where it was taken.  I couldn't find the buildings, but there are a few relatively new large buildings and also some areas where demolition has taken place some years ago, so I'm guessing they no longer exist.  The location sort of fits my recollection, as I'm pretty certain I took the photo on the same day I visited the Glasgow School of Art in Renfield Street.

For what it's worth, here's another photo I took that day, probably in the same area.  Nothing much in the way of old cars, but at least there's an old bus.......

1-23-2017_012a.jpg.857350f4a3cf73f0714b67afa686ff41.jpg

And, staying in Glasgow and getting back to the subject of old cars, here's a photo I took of the exterior of the old Glasgow Museum of Transpot:

GlasgowMuseumofTransportin1975.jpg.af341f327e91c32978aec201c5107e26.jpg

• Like 9