Mallard 75 - The Great Gathering

Andy Y

Has anyone got any pics of all 35 Hornby A4 models? Quite keen to see this impressive spectacle (pending me not having miss-read the initial post).

Greg

Quite a few years ago (15+...?), ISTR a display at Warley of every A4 in every in every livery carried, around 250 A4's in total.

Whatever you may think, do come and see. It isn't just about enthusiasts, the event has caught folks' imagination big time. I've been doing non-stop interviews for the last 24 hours almost and the interest is good for us and it's good for Hornby.

Do come and support us, we value the interest and the like of this will never be seen again.

Can you lend Simon K. a straightedge and a tape while he and the A4s are in the same room, so he can measure the transverse curve on the edge of the cod's mouth doors please?  :)

One of the few faults on the current Hornby A4 is that they've made the doors flat in the transverse direction. Curable by excavating a bit more material from the model moulds.

It does notice, if you compare model and prototype, even from photos. 

The Nim.

Photos of the 35 A4s will soon be visible through concessions and the Hornby Website, with a number of the 35 available for general viewing, several months later, revised to a small number when the time approaches.

Sorry, cheap shot.

I suppose should be thankful for Hornby for helping put on the show, and yes i am very excited for my trip to York.

Looks fab, and certainly not a sight I thought I'd ever see.

Its a shame 4472 isn't in one piece and tacked on the end for a 7 Gresley-Pacific Lineup. a missed opportunity, but understandable. Would have been nice if 4771 could have been put round the turntable though (and more farfetched, they should have got the K4 and N2 up).

Forget the A4s; listen to the sound of shunter 09 017 in the Great Hall :mosking:  

Did they have the banners on the Turntable to hide the fact it was a Railroad 08 with inside frames...?

• RMweb Gold

Rod sounds like he has been incredibly patient under the onslaught of media condescension - no wonder the others tend to keep their heads below the parapet...

Best, Pete.

He was.

The BBC (TV not R4) never fail to disappoint in this area, especially given some of the drivel they evidently regard seriously.

John

Guest spet0114

Am taking the family up to York this weekend and really looking forward to it.  Emily (14 wk-old daughter) is excited as well.... :)

I could have sworn there were 34 A4's in service, so maybe I missed one.  I seem to recall one was bombed in WW2.  Sir Ralph Wedgewood?  Is that making up the number to 35?

Quite right. 4469 Sir Ralph Wedgewood was destroyed in a bombing raid on York in 1942 - there is a plaque on the floor of the NRM in front of 35029 Ellerman Lines to mark the exact spot. The name was later transferred to 4466.

Guest spet0114

The name was later transferred to 4466.

...and the tender was repaired and ended up behind the first of Thompson's A2/2s, if I remember correctly.

Also, wasn't one of the mangled original nameplates found in a York garden shed about 4-5 years ago?

Cheers

Adrian

Guest spet0114

Blimey! If that's the crowd on a Thursday, it'll be mayhem on Saturday when I'm due to visit! :)

Quite right. 4469 Sir Ralph Wedgewood was destroyed in a bombing raid on York in 1942 - there is a plaque on the floor of the NRM in front of 35029 Ellerman Lines to mark the exact spot. The name was later transferred to 4466.

Or behind 60007 as of yesterday.

Here are my pictures which includes the 35 A4 models http://s818.photobucket.com/user/DanHill1991/library/#/user/DanHill1991/library/Mallard%2075%203rd%20July%202013?sort=3&page=1&_suid=1372952881124006114040405700244

Archived