RMweb

Getting Married! Need an outfit suitably themed...

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Hello

I am getting married to the love of my life in September of 2014.  Because of the railway connection between us and me being a Guard in the real world, an idea we have considered is for me to wear a full traditional LBSC or Southern Railway uniform with all the gold braiding, buttons, pocket watch etc with the cap of course.

Is this actually dooable?  Can old style uniform be sourced either as hire or better still purchased replica? (I know the chances of finding a mint wedding presentable original full set is nigh on nil!)

Any suggestions and advice warmly received!!

• RMweb Gold

Station staff/volunteers at eg Bluebell and Mid Hants wear that kind of attire.  Do you have any contacts who could find out how they source them, or maybe ask them direct?

Congratulations BTW

If you can find sufficient information, a good tailor should be able to come up with something suitable - although the costs may be prohibitive of course.

I don't know whether any of this might suit even if just as a starting point for someone?

http://www.railsmart.co.uk/

http://www.footplateequipment.co.uk/stationuniforms.shtml

Occasionally groups of 'railway buttons' turn up on Ebay - lots of BR double arrow ones on there at present.

Congratulations on the wedding by the way - we almost got married on the Bluebell but unfortunately they can only handle small numbers so we picked a hotel instead.  However, we met on our first date at the barrier of platform 8 at London Bridge and we got engaged on a private charter I arranged on the Chichester canal so "transport" featured heavily at quite a few significant points in our relationship.  We're now living about 2 miles from Gatwick...

• RMweb Premium

Would the marriage be considered as a coupling?

Or as we say in my line of work 'Pull forward to attach'  :jester:

Some good ideas here for which many thanks  :imsohappy: as a matter of fact getting married on the Bluebell is one of the options on the list but traditional church wedding looks like being option number one.

Meanwhile the marital home is being acquired in a couple of weeks and there is a nice big shed in which I have been given permission to build a layout...   :sungum:

Glad to hear you have layout construction permission - priorities and all that :)

Maybe as a compromise you could consider the "church wedding" option nearby followed by either the Wedding Breakfast on the Bluebell for close family and friends in the afternoon, or hiring a vintage bus or 2 and chartering a special trip on the railway for everyone :)

Congratulations on the wedding and the chosen attire!

Whilst I got married in a more conventional suit, I did manage to get a railway theme on the table names and place cards :)

I'm impressed!

Seeing the title of this thread I thought it would be full of suggestions about suits with arrows on, balls and chains and the like.

Congratulations and all the best.

Should be a smooth send-off if you are a guard.

• RMweb Premium

Should be a smooth send-off if you are a guard.

I can imagine it now.

A shriek of the whistle and  "Right away" with the vicar waving a green flag, as the happy couple walk down the aisle...........

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I can imagine it now.

A shriek of the whistle and  "Right away" with the vicar waving a green flag, as the happy couple walk down the aisle...........

Cheers,

Mick

What about the girls waving their red petticoats?

• RMweb Gold

I know its the ladies that should have something borrowed but I do have an original SR Guards cap that if it fits (I will need to dig it out to check the size) so speak I am happy to loan for the big day if that is of interest?

I see a guard of honour with flags, brake sticks and shunting poles....

And a wheeltapper giving you both a whack on the ankles.

Archived