Hornby/Arnold 'Brighton Belle' - price and delivery date confirmed.

Andy Y

It's aimed for the British market.

As it's produced by Arnold it'll also be of interest to continental collectors, stick RP25 wheels on it to satisfy the UK market (which I'd guess may be worth about 500 sales units) and it'll be falling off some coarser scale continental tracks.

As it's produced by Arnold it'll also be of interest to continental collectors, stick RP25 wheels on it to satisfy the UK market (which I'd guess may be worth about 500 sales units) and it'll be falling off some coarser scale continental tracks.

Any soild confirmed news about the set having RP25 wheels or not?

• 2 weeks later...

My comments are that overall it captures the character of the prototype but there are a few areas of concern such as;

* the crude wheels (hopefully they get upgraded to finer profile ones)

* the rather flat (malnourished?) roof vents,

* not so sure about the glazing, and

* those horrid cut-outs on the sole-bar - surely they are not necessary and if to accommodate the large flanges on tight bends could have been tooled as snap out sections for those without train-set curves.

G.

Thanks.  The coupling connections between cars looks odd and chunky and the comments on the FB page from Hornby state that the cars will be "electrially linked" so perhaps it has something to do with that.  Still, they do not appear to be very elegantly engineered at this point.

The FB page says that wheels will be to "UK standard" which I assume is better than what was on display earlier.  The wheels in the pictures certainly do look better than what was shown before.  But not sure why there are still cut-outs in the solebars given the wheels are going to be to finer profile.

Matt

Thanks.  The coupling connections between cars looks odd and chunky and the comments on the FB page from Hornby state that the cars will be "electrially linked" so perhaps it has something to do with that.  Still, they do not appear to be very elegantly engineered at this point.

The FB page says that wheels will be to "UK standard" which I assume is better than what was on display earlier.  The wheels in the pictures certainly do look better than what was shown before.  But not sure why there are still cut-outs in the solebars given the wheels are going to be to finer profile.

Matt

In response to your post :P

The couplings are chunky because the are not only couplings but electrical connectors that are already used on the Hornby 5BEL and 4VEP. IMO for the scale they are OK can't always have things too small. I am not too sure about the GF pullman set and the couplings that has? So I won't comment.

By UK standard I hope they mean something like GF and Dapol use.... The wheels are the same as the ones seen before. If the cut-outs on the solebar are going to be changed then they will later, the EP sample still sports the oversized wheels as of now, so that topic is best left untouched until the next EP release.

Cheers!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

From the Graham Muz 'running prototype' blog:

Edit 20/10/13: I can confirm from Hornby that the wheels and the underframe cut outs on this sample are not representative of how the final production models will be. 

I await a production sample, in due course, with high anticipation as these painted samples look delightful 8)

Regards, Gerry.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

From the Graham Muz 'running prototype' blog:

Edit 20/10/13: I can confirm from Hornby that the wheels and the underframe cut outs on this sample are not representative of how the final production models will be. 

I await a production sample, in due course, with high anticipation as these painted samples look delightful 8)

Regards, Gerry.

I was indeed told this by Hornby on that date when I discussed the issue of the wheels and cut outs directly with them, this does not mean of course that things have changed since, hopefully not.

• 3 months later...

Hi , Registered on Hornby site so hopefully this will work - whilst an Iconic train and even the BR livery broke the mould It is is known that third rail items not the best of sellers - even 73 not a great seller with brand new locos at £50 at DEMU today. I wish  Hornby well and wishlist a VEP or 2BIL shrinking . Mind you the stock does lead toward a VOSE set using the trailer set.

As noted to Simon K manning DEMU Hornby stand price very keen and a trade off to work on paying for tooling, what market will bear and the profit margin -hope it works.

Robert   

Hi, I also registered and had not heard a word until I wrote and complained. Still got  told that I would be notified when stock became available. Is there anyone out thhere that knows anything about this  model?

• RMweb Premium

With the very good SR coaches recently released by Bachmann/Grafar and their forthcoming MN, their 4CEP, this Brighton Belle, Dapol doing some nice SR stuff, I am very tempted to have a go at a small SR N gauge layout.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived