Hornby/Arnold 'Brighton Belle' - price and delivery date confirmed.

Andy Y

Hmm, it does seem to have gone rather quiet on the N gauge Brighton Belle front. Some nice pictures from last year including it being on display at Warley, but not much news since. Is anyone in the know?

G.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, so no embargoed news yet, then?

I'm starting to wonder whether a target delivery date will ever be given and perhaps I was a little hasty to mothball my scratch-build development when I heard Hornby were going to produce a RTR version; http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65404-brighton-belle-from-lima-pullman-lits-coaches/

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to spoil the conspiracy theory about embargoed news, I have been very reliably informed that there is no such embargo just no news to report at this moment in time,  I am sure we will see an update in due course...

• 1 month later...

Something to note from the recent sending out of Hornby International order forms to UK retailers, the Brighton Belle items are NOT on them.

Well isn't that to be expected since Hornby are not allowing sales of this item through retailers?  There's no need to list it on order forms since the Belle is strictly a purchase direct from Hornby item.  I frankly don't agree with that strategy, but them I'm not Hornby.

Frankly, I don't really agree with branding the Belle as an Arnold item, either.  Seems there's a lot I don't agree with...  :jester:

Matt

• RMweb Premium

Frankly, I don't really agree with branding the Belle as an Arnold item, either. 

My guess is that the choice of Arnold over, say Hornby, branding is one of shareholder perception. In these difficult times for Hornby, being seen to branch out into N gauge trains when the N gauge buildings (i.e. Liddle End) seems to being phased out might be considered financially risky whereas as an Arnold product it is just another N gauge product, albeit in a slightly different scale, for which the brand is synonymous.

I might be completely off the mark of course!

My guess is that the choice of Arnold over, say Hornby, branding is one of shareholder perception. In these difficult times for Hornby, being seen to branch out into N gauge trains when the N gauge buildings (i.e. Liddle End) seems to being phased out might be considered financially risky whereas as an Arnold product it is just another N gauge product, albeit in a slightly different scale, for which the brand is synonymous.

I might be completely off the mark of course!

The Liddle End buildings weren't 1:148 then? The Arnold Brighton Belle is being produced in 1:148 scale, not 1:160.

• RMweb Premium

The Liddle End buildings weren't 1:148 then?

Err... I didn't say that; my point was that since Hornby has stopped producing Liddle End, i.e. British N at 1:148, it may have deliberately chosen to market the BB as Arrnold since it's métier is N gauge, even though foreign models are 1:160 not 1:148 scale.

All right, I can be a bit thick sometimes but I don't seem to be able to pre-order one of these sets from the Hornby website.  All I can do there is request a notification of stock.  Is anyone else having this issue?  (Is there a magic word?)

Matt

All right, I can be a bit thick sometimes but I don't seem to be able to pre-order one of these sets from the Hornby website.  All I can do there is request a notification of stock.  Is anyone else having this issue?  (Is there a magic word?)

Matt

For this first venture in N scale, Hornby/Arnold had a limited time frame to order so that they could judge the demand and the quantity to be produced AFAIK. I could be wrong but that's what I was told. I too missed out on the order and will enquire if there will be a second run.

For this first venture in N scale, Hornby/Arnold had a limited time frame to order so that they could judge the demand and the quantity to be produced AFAIK. I could be wrong but that's what I was told. I too missed out on the order and will enquire if there will be a second run.

I registered an interest in both models several months ago when Hornby first announced the N gauge Brighton Belle, does that constitute a pre-order? I have heard nothing from Hornby since.

In general Hornby do not accept pre-orders on their website, you can only buy an item when it is available. 

I registered an interest in both models several months ago when Hornby first announced the N gauge Brighton Belle, does that constitute a pre-order? I have heard nothing from Hornby since.

In general Hornby do not accept pre-orders on their website, you can only buy an item when it is available.

Likewise, I entered my e-mail address but haven't had a notification yet.

No need to worry folks there have been no pre-orders taken yet so no one has missed out.

Phew! I'd opened an account, put the Belle packs on my wishlist and requested notification when in stock - if I'd missed out someone was going to get an irate phone call tomorrow... :butcher:

Hi,

Pre-orders now being taken:

http://www.Hornby.com/Hornby-arnold-n-gauge-sr-5-bel-brighton-belle-pullman-5-car-train-pack-1934-website-exclusive.html

Expected 06/10/14, Note:  5 Car Train Pack   :locomotive:

Regards, Gerry 8)

Thanks for the link Gerry, 

Unit pre-ordered, had to have a double take at the price, very good value in my book.

Graham.

Archived