Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Last gasholder decommissioned.

The framework of Washfordheath holder still exists. Even though it looks like two holders it was a connected single that raised and lowered "the twins" together. The other type that was common at steelworks had an enclosed piston in a cylinder so looking from outside it never moved. Have found this image of Washfordheath, yours to model!

post-4133-0-86267900-1375037131_thumb.jpg

In January 1941 he sepnt nights on top of the gasholders (that's what he always called them) at Grangetown, with no more than buckets of water, a stirrup pump and buckets of sand putting out German incendiaries that landed on the gasholder before they could do any harm !

Brian R

One of the gas holders at East Moors was pierced by a bomb in 1940/41, they were kept empty at the time, fortunately.

post-6861-0-05797600-1375037123.jpg

In 1971, one of Dorman Longs, on Teesside, was struck by lightning, I think your grandad would have needed quite a few buckets of water.........

post-6861-0-68946600-1375037252.jpg

One of the gas holders at East Moors was pierced by a bomb in 1940/41, they were kept empty at the time, fortunately.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

In 1971, one of Dorman Longs, on Teesside, was struck by lightning, I think your grandad would have needed quite a few buckets of water.........

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

My grandads view was - if the holder went up, he wouldn't know anything about it !

He was also the Corporal rifle instructor in the (64th ?) Glamorgan Local Defence Volunteers (aka Luck, Duck & Vanish but Home Guard to the rest of us !) - unfortunately for most of the war, they didn't have any rifles !

(he also felt the tv series Dads Army played them down, as opposed to taking the mick !).

Brian R

The internal piston type were generally referred to as waterless gas holders as they didn't sit in a ring of water which formed a seal at the bottom.

In 1975 Northern Metals were tasked with demolishing two such holders at the Irlam works of the Lancashire Steel Corporation, by then part of the BSC. They started with the larger of the two, a 2 million cubic feet capacity holder weighing 500 tons. After two attempts with explosives they got this far,

post-6861-0-68735600-1375051172_thumb.jpg

It stood like that for several days until a third blast brought it down.

My quarterly British Gas Pensioners' Newsletter arrived today - now there's a coincidence!

It has an article on this very subject so I can now proceed to bore you all to death with some further facts:

"It is estimated that since 2009 over 300 holders have been taken out of service - 70 of these in North London alone".

"Gas Holders have been in existence since 1814 when the Gas Light and Cole Company of Westminster built a single gas holder capable of storing 14,000 cubic feet of coal gas".

"The largest holder in Britain was the 295 feet rigid gas holder located at Southall. Unlike water sealed telescopic gas holders, this holder does not expand or contract with the gas contained inside, but consists of an oil sealed piston free to travel inside a metal cylinder. The letters 'LH' and an arrow were painted on the side of the holder to point out the direction to London Heathrow airport which was four miles to the south west. This was to prevent confusion with a similar holder that once stood at South Harrow on the approach to Northolt airfield, later painted with a giant 'NO'. Before this more than one pilot landed at Norholt rather than Heathrow, only just managing to stop on the short runway!."

So now you know,

Regards,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

My grandfather came to Cardiff from Sheffield and went to work for the Cardiff Gas Light & Coke Co. at their Bute Terrace and Grangetown 'works'.

In January 1941 he sepnt nights on top of the gasholders (that's what he always called them) at Grangetown, with no more than buckets of water, a stirrup pump and buckets of sand putting out German incendiaries that landed on the gasholder before they could do any harm !

I doubt many would do that today, or would the HSE allow it, even in times of national emergency.

It wasn't the Germans that eventually got him - but the wet asbestos he used to lag the pipes with at Grangetown.

Brian R

Brian,

My grandfather lived in Clive Street, and was also a fire watcher.

It's probable that they knew each other!

I was born within sight and sound of Grangetown gas works

Plus the fact that you work with my brother, so I'd say it's a pretty small world!

Regards

Richard

• RMweb Premium

Brian,

My grandfather lived in Clive Street, and was also a fire watcher.

It's probable that they knew each other!

I was born within sight and sound of Grangetown gas works

Plus the fact that you work with my brother, so I'd say it's a pretty small world!

Regards

Richard

IIRC one east London gasholder was demolished realtively recently and as well as finding a patch on the roof with a circular hole below it they found a live unexploded bomb at the bottom.

I modeled a gasholder on my Long Preston Layout.  There was a very small gasworks built in 1876 just below the line east of the station.  We explored the site with permission, and discovered the remains of the riveted holder about 12' diameter and there was enough detail still available for us to model it accurately.  My frined who made it motorised it but then someone else painted it so it never worked unfortunately.  It had closed in 1926 and is still there in the field.  We even got some oral history about a guy who worked there used to come home from courting his girlfriend by train and always checked the brightness of the lamps.  If they were low he would nip down and put a few more shovelfuls of coal into the retort before going home.

Jamie

I've always been intrigued by the miniature versions that were used for the small installations at, for example, large country houses.  I remember finding one in the undergrowth near a derelict stately home in North Wales back in the 80s.  I'd never previously realised such weeny ones existed.

In West Midlands Gas we just called them Holders, with the vast amount of the distribution network now steel or plastic pipework  the pressure has been increased all around the country thereby increasing internal storage capacity.

Is that because Slade's lead singer being called Noddy Ometer would have sounded silly?

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

The gasholder in Blyth, Northumberland, today.

post-5613-0-76150800-1375120844_thumb.jpg

Blyth gasholder Northumberland

The top section paintwork was designed by local schoolchildren a few years ago.

David

The two that have stood in Swindon for as long as I can remember have just been dismantled/demolished in the past few weeks. there are now some pretty large holes in the ground that are in the process of being filled.

• RMweb Gold

My quarterly British Gas Pensioners' Newsletter arrived today - now there's a coincidence!

It has an article on this very subject so I can now proceed to bore you all to death with some further facts:

"It is estimated that since 2009 over 300 holders have been taken out of service - 70 of these in North London alone".

"Gas Holders have been in existence since 1814 when the Gas Light and Cole Company of Westminster built a single gas holder capable of storing 14,000 cubic feet of coal gas".

"The largest holder in Britain was the 295 feet rigid gas holder located at Southall. Unlike water sealed telescopic gas holders, this holder does not expand or contract with the gas contained inside, but consists of an oil sealed piston free to travel inside a metal cylinder. The letters 'LH' and an arrow were painted on the side of the holder to point out the direction to London Heathrow airport which was four miles to the south west. This was to prevent confusion with a similar holder that once stood at South Harrow on the approach to Northolt airfield, later painted with a giant 'NO'. Before this more than one pilot landed at Norholt rather than Heathrow, only just managing to stop on the short runway!."

So now you know,

Regards,

Dave

Mine arrived Friday, but I didn't want to bore anybody to death :jester:

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived Friday, but I didn't want to bore anybody to death :jester:

Mike.

You usually do when it comes to W*st*rns. Why change the habit of a lifetime?

:jester:

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly off topic, but I might as well take advantage of the knowledge base, one thing that has nagged at me for years. How do they seal the joint between the lifting sections? It has to be a sliding seal but I can't see how it was arranged.

peterL

Archived