A New Start

C&WR

Many thanks!

Here we are with what I achieved today.  Modelling time reduced as I took TMSC to the Chiltern Open Air Museum (a great source of inspiration for model buildings!) to see a falconry display and some "Napoleotic" (in his word) re-enactors.

IMG_4383.JPG

IMG_4384.JPG

Sacks are from the Knightwing set.  The chain is from Hobbycraft and I was sure was smaller when I bought it.  It looks like it could anchor a battleship, but at least it is good and sturdy for the folding up and down layout...

• Like 5

Here's where I have got to today.  I am going to have to stop, TMSC keeps tugging at my sleeve asking to go swimming.

IMG_4393.JPG

I've aso had to stop as my sole piece of the stone edging is about 4mm too short for the infill between the projecting part of the store and the main frontage, which is why I've had to photograph from this angle!  I also need to print out some tiles for the other job I dislike as much as making lintels and cills!

• Like 3

Thanks, Al. I may leave the chain as is, as it is going to be at the back of the railway & not too obvious. I've not found an alternative online, & the finer chain at Hobbycraft was the wrong shape.

As for the jokes I have some etches for shop fronts, so Haddock's fish springs to mind, but Castafiore's music shop or Calculus's mathematical instruments might be a bit too much. Mrs Miggins may have a place, though...

• Like 1

Oh, and the wonky shutter is straight from John Ahern. There's also a broken pane to add character, & I hope the bricked-up, boarded-up & shuttered windows do the same.

I will adjust the colour settings for the proposed signs. While TLHC thinks they're OK, I think the green should match the other woodwork.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Al. I may leave the chain as is, as it is going to be at the back of the railway & not too obvious. I've not found an alternative online, & the finer chain at Hobbycraft was the wrong shape.

Doesn't TLHC have any nice pendants on fine chain.... :D

(Runs and hides quickly)

Great work, looking forward to seeing the roof added too. I think the stone corners work well with the brick and you can get away with the chain (perhaps it needs a large pallet of sacks hanging from it?).

Cheers

John

Thanks, chaps.  The hoist chain is actually glued into the first floor aperture as if attached to the sacks in there.  this was partly to hide some of it and partly so it doesn't flop around when attached to the baseboard & when this is then folded up!

I've been through my files on the PC and have the resources to do tiling & finishing the frontage so hope to get this near as complete tonight...

Edit to add:

I did ask TLHC if there was anything suitable in the dressing up box, Al.  However she has very little in the way of jewelry as she is very choosy so I wouldn't dare look at it!

Edited by C&WR

I was challenged to show the roof done, and as the tiling is something I don't enjoy thought I would just crack on.  Here it is:

IMG_4395.JPG

IMG_4396.JPG

Just the flashing, ridge tiles, some touching in and lighting to get it finished & ready to plant...

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 4

Thanks for comments and ratings!  The roof has been done in the usual manner by snipping halfway through the texture at the junction of each slate and also cutting out the odd slate to represent broken & slipped ones.

I am, thankfully, back onto some more holiday-like hours at work at the moment, so having been woken by TMSC quite early and thus having time before setting out for the office managed to add some gutters and aluminium foil for the flashing between the two roof elements.  Time then ran out & I hadn't painted the latter so no pics as yet...

Edited by C&WR

As I am now waiting for some lights to add to the tabernacle & seed merchant I bit the bullet & ripped out the stairs on my branch line station & replaced them. Here you can see the results:

IMG_4401.JPG

IMG_4402.JPG

The stairs are now painted; I need to attend to the rails...

• Like 5

................ The chain is from Hobbycraft and I was sure was smaller when I bought it.  It looks like it could anchor a battleship, but at least it is good and sturdy for the folding up and down layout...

For fine chain, Scale Link provide several types - I have used their 'very fine' 32 links/inch on wagons.

Thanks, John.  The gutters & downpipes are florist's wire with turns of bag-tie wire - luckily I had green paint for the latter which matched the former.  I had been to a lecture at Pendon by one of the leading lights of The Gresley Beat (Gordon Gravett?) who said that for guttering, especially in 4mm, rod rather than half-round fools the eye enough when the top of the rod is painted black, which I did. I take little claim for the tiles - the texture is straight from Scalescenes & the method taken from a model railway site.

Quick update on the halt.  The railings are now painted in natural wood waiting to be muckied up to look creosoted.  I have also been meaning to paint and use a couple figure, so they are now seated in the shelter.  Pity I needed to touch them in which was done this morning, but not yet pictured:

IMG_4407-EFFECTS.jpg

• Like 4

I've also had a hankering to use some of these decals which I found in the modelling box:

IMG_4404.JPG

IMG_4403.JPG

I was concerned that as these must be at least 30 years old and might not work. I asked for, and was given, some useful advice on here about how to adapt the decals if need be. However a quick test using the actual instructions showed they seemed to work, so I set to on a Fruit.D van bought for the purpose.

Caveat!  There are quite some liberties being taken in the build for practicality reasons...

Decals on the sides.  The van has become merely FRUIT rather than FRUIT.D as the decals are too big for the correct placement on the van.  Similarly PASSENGER should be below FRUIT.D, but again the decal is too big.  Finally wheelbase & tare are guesses and based on what was available on the sheet.  

Overall I am fairly happy with this, but the fact the decals split themselves into individual letters in some cases - the original gum which should have held them in place before water applied has obviously worn away or degraded.  Therefore it isn't hugely straight, but from normal viewing distance doesn't look so wrong:

IMG_4405.JPG

The constituent parts for the top prepared for gluing. Sadly I really need to adapt my photo technique after the gloomy winter months of shooting under artificial light -the roof shows nothing here and I can't manipulate so it does.  That's lucky as I neglected to put the spigots under the ventilators before painting ;)

IMG_4406.JPG

The whole ting was given a coat of PlastiKote clear satin varnish which toned down the paint & fixed the decals.  I did a test with a spare decal just in case I damaged the lettering on the side.  I've also added an Alan Gibson vacuum pipe at each end:

IMG_4409.JPG

Again a copuple of liberties with the underframe.  I have slightly moved the lower footsteps for durability and fixed the brakes direct to the solebar rather than to the floor in line with the wheels for similar reasons.

I painted the underframe the other night but am yet to varnish.  That & photography may have to wait as I have been given a last-minute chance to go to a box at Twickenham for England/France today...

• Like 3