My YMRV Mk1 Hack, TPO 'r' us

Came across these etched bogie mounts in the CW stores, I think from Hurst's b4 bogie subframe etch.

post-7587-0-78698800-1378932085_thumb.jpg

I intend to solder an 8ba nut to it and fix this inside the coach. A hexagonal bolt will be used to retain the bogie. Could have some rolling chassis in a day or so.

Update for post 77. The iron is still plugged in and another five to go before bed.

post-7587-0-05276500-1379030678.jpg

Tools and associated stuff, the vaseline stops the bolt soldering to the thread only needs a tiny amount.

post-7587-0-60039400-1379030766.jpg

And this is what happens after using those bits and bobs.

Well thats me done for tonight...

post-7587-0-51504600-1379034863.jpg

All sixteen done, eight coaches worth, have to say my finger tips are feeling bit sore!

post-7587-0-79642100-1379034893.jpg

First rinse with boiling water

post-7587-0-50380600-1379034908.jpg

Second rinse, its amazing how much muck even a little flux creates

post-7587-0-60129500-1379034935.jpg

Their home for tonight, job done.

Time to get jiggy!

I have to do a little more digging and research as what needs to go where and on what vehicle. But I intend to develop a simple drilling location jig to enable details to be added in repetition.

Hopefully this will include :-

Handrails some seem to have them both ends some just had the filler pipes. I estimate these to be 14mm long

I would like to try and add in the removed step bolts, maybe via a recess/ depression.

Lighting cables TPO's seem to have an extra one on the left over other mark1's

ETH cable

Water filler short pipes?, they are only short and again seem to be on some vehicles then not on others.

Brake alarm, which fingers crossed will be a filed down pin, being have a fettle with these earlier..

And another jig..Bill Bedford simply executed handrail bending jig.

post-7587-0-92772200-1379110740.jpg

Really simple to use, greater consistency, better results I really cant get enough jigs!

I have over cut .5mm brass rod ( the dimension matchs Bachmann's Super BG's) using the end of the calipers set to 18mm, using side cutters few minutes and you have plenty!

Find the appropiate hole/edge you need (14mm) place end in the hole bend over and then the other end formed with finger pressure.

A chance download last night came the stark realisation that I have the wrong combination of coaches to make one authentic prototype rake up.

So what is a boy to do? Well after making a few calls locally, another search for more donors of the £3.99 variety.

I would like eventually to model two TPO rakes.

First up TPO 8

NAA

NBA

NSA

NSA

NTA

NSA

NTA

NSA

NBA

NOA

NAA

This rake was used on Carlisle - Willesden

TPO 5/6

NBA

NSA

NTA

NSA

NTA

NSA

NSA

NBA

NBA

NBA

These rakes were used on Glasgow - Cardiff diagrams

To aid this development a thank you to WH Smith Derby

post-7587-0-31844500-1379175692.jpg

Waste not want not.

I was thinking of scratch building the end steps for the coach ends. The DC Kit end has moulded dimples inside the coach to locate some detail having a look at Nickl2008 excellent detailing in the part works thread got me thinking yet again.

So with over one hundred and forty-four moulded steps to call on, with a current need for fourteen. I felt a stab at removing some moulded steps with my etched razor saw was worth a try.

Having had some excellent research information passed to me only my 80457 out of the current build will require a step.

I think the brake alarm mount is also worth a stab at being reused too.

post-7587-0-97707100-1379257850.jpg

These just need a little tlc to remove a little plastic swarf, not a big job at all.

post-7587-0-82909400-1379328148.jpg

Having trialed what needed filling on one carriage's ends, it has been a quick few minutes with the filler to do the rest.

I am rather pleased with this as there are only minor tweaks. I can't say how much firm a shell I have now, which once some inner bracings go in will be a very robust coach shell.

Hopefully distortion free

attachicon.gif1379328135992.jpg

Having trialed what needed filling on one carriage's ends, it has been a quick few minutes with the filler to do the rest.

I am rather pleased with this as there are only minor tweaks. I can't say how much firm a shell I have now, which once some inner bracings go in will be a very robust coach shell.

Hopefully distortion free

Hi Ian,

The project seems to be taking on epic proportions with the arrival of that carton!

Re. distortion, I have this theory that it is best to paint the inside of a plastic body shell as well as the outside (of course!). It is only a theory, but it can't do much harm to try. I suspect that solvents in paints can cause shrinkage of plastic bodies. An equal layer of paint inside would at least give a chance to balance this effect.

All the best,

Colin

Hi Colin,

Your suggestion would seem to follow some logic! After all we try to paint wood to seal it, so why not a plastic body shell?

At the minute the fleet comprises late build stowage and sorting vans, with the earlier build brake stowage, which gives me a chance to add a bit of variety.

Now that box! I just had the stark realisation that these are basically probably a one off purchase, so it was an oppurtunity to stock up on bits that have prooven valuable in this build and will in others. Two or three will be stripped to compinent parts to allow the build of a few extra carriages, the remainder will be in warm long term store.

I intend concentrating on the 11 coach rake, which will just need the purchase of two sorting vans. The rest of the rake will be from in stock Replica (NAA -PCV) and Bachmann (NBA-Super BG) vehicles.

The two diagrams (726 & 727) I'm concenteating on for Sorting and Stowage vans are both late builds - early to mid 70s and therefore have very little end detail unlike the earlier builds and were all but identical equipment wise. The TPO fleet was lets not forget built, rebuilt and converted over three decades, so there are many subtle variations between diagrams, which if I live long enough I would like to tackle most of them :).

All appear to have been dual brake/dual heat from new and with pressure ventilation equipment and certainly by 1980s.

Anyway what you should have is - One end with the Passenger Communication Valve equipment only - as with any dual braked vehicle, there should be two valves on the left-hand side (as opposed to a single valve on the Vacuum braked vehicles). I hope to model these with the reclaimed plastic mounts from the £3.99 coach with a lace makers pin through it, with a little shaping it may end up like the lever!

On the same end, and on both sides there should be what looks like two RCH jumpers on each side - left & right - the one further out from the normal RCH lighting jumper and slightly lower down was for the emergency lighting control. - Again on the same end, there appears to have been the only handrail - one short one on the left hand side, I estimate this to be .5mm brass and 14mm long this will match Bachmann's, all ready done up the thread. I hope to place an order soon for some plastic tube 1.6mm and some 1mm or .8mm rod, this is my attempt at creating the mounts, fine wire will or maybe elastic could be used.

There were no other steps or signs of step removal (the provision of these had been removed long before these vehicles were built) - At the other end - the two RCH jumpers were again provided, and again on both left and right sides. Again I will look to create these in two parts. It's worth noting the outer set of RCH like prototype jumper cables for the emergency lighting had the connection box on the end, and the plug itself painted bright red to distinguish them from the normal lighting jumper - though they couldn't be connected together by mistake. - at this same end, there were two covers (one each side of the gangway) over the recessed water filler connections - note the filler nozzle/pipework isn't visible normally as it all hidden behind the body end panels. Earlier builds seem to have had a more utilitarian fixing with the pipe mounted extrenally and proud of the body. So the panel once finalised for location and size will be scribed.

Above the gangway will have some 1.4mm L angle added to give an impression of the now removed scaled back gangway cover.

Again there were no steps or signs of removal of steps at that end and also there were no handrails.

A big thank you to Bob-65b for providing me with the "official" state of play. Now I just have to make the words into 3D!

That vehicle is a different build/diagram Ian.  The two diagram numbers you supplied (over four build lots) 726 (80356-80380 & 80381-80395) and 727 (80425-80430 & 80431-80439) remained as built as far as I can see.  That vehicle 80322 was from a fairly short run of 8 vehicles built in 67/68 to diagram 728 - though the odd curved external filler pipe (fitted from new) appears on other Postal Diagrams built by York around that time - but not the later builds and conversions for 726 & 727.  

post-7587-0-74451900-1379447991.jpg

This is my first try at providing a finer and more close to scale lip on the roof, it is Slater's microstrip .020" x 0.20"

It has been fixed with some liquid cement once this goes off I will look to run some plastic weld on the join to see how that fixes.

Sorry Bob, yep in total I have seven

733 stowage brake (one)

727 stowage (four)

726 sorting (two)

Which for TPO8 requires additional sorting vans an ideal opportunity to add some variety into the fleet. Which then leads onto the extra cheapo coaches and how some of them could be used to create an extra TPO (5&6) formation wise look possible. Somehow I transposed numbers, in what I would need to create an authentic rake!

I'm (as usual) confused Ian.  That last photo looks a Diagram 733 Stowage Brake Van rather than a 726 Sorting or 727 Stowage Van (though I think you've a few 727 in there)....

Been having a little think over forming the end lip for the coaches. I think I will try an experiment using the cut off carriage ends and bend a piece of strip around its outer edge secured with a little tape, then give it a dip in some boiled water and see if this helps it take the shape a little quicker. Hopefully once I come to neaten the shape, which is quite complex. It could allow a neater and more consistent job to be acheived.

Thats the intention at any rate.

Just ordered some bits and pieces this afternoon, a replenished stock of strip will come in handy.

Extra whitemetal parts. But nothing back from ABS yet.

Going OT etched sides from Hurst for the NOA in TPO8 just need a spare donor GUV.

Been reading Hornby Magazine with Nigel Burkin use of Kadee's I intend to use them within this rake, and any other dedicated rake of stock, they seem a reliable piece of affordable kit. Again I have a good stock of various sizes and styles to trial.

Been having a little think over forming the end lip for the coaches. I think I will try an experiment using the cut off carriage ends and bend a piece of strip around its outer edge secured with a little tape, then give it a dip in some boiled water and see if this helps it take the shape a little quicker. Hopefully once I come to neaten the shape, which is quite complex. It could allow a neater and more consistent job to be acheived.

Thats the intention at any rate.

Just a suggestion Ian.....

If you use liquid poly and secure the middle/centre of the strip, once the initial fix is set, you can gradually work outwards along the curve until you reach the rain strip. You have to take your time with this method, but it always works for me, (my DP2 had a good number of roof ribs added using this method). Once in place, a little filler between strip and main roof will disguise the join nicely.

Cheers.

Sean.

This is the result of my experiment.

post-7587-0-21992600-1379596363.jpg

I secured the strip to the top edge of the coach end with some insulation tape, making use a of kettle boiled for a cuppa, I dipped and held the former with strip attached for 20-30 seconds. Then came the tea bag and milk once the end was removed!

Been this shape for an hour. I am hoping that with the steady application of glue if I have introduced a curve to the strip before it comes into contact with the coach end there should be less need for the glue to hold and form the required shape.

I see this as being able to produce more curves to a similar profile away from the individual coach.

Archived