My YMRV Mk1 Hack, TPO 'r' us

post-7587-0-66442100-1382099165.jpg

First frame glued in. Secured using a Testors cement marker, then touched in with a little brush to get a drop of solvent at the corners. Carefully pressing home the thinned frame.

Once dry it will be given a little more thinning treatment and I for one think it looks very smart! Thanks Colin for the frames!!

post-7587-0-86087500-1382100298.jpg

This is a bit of a what's all this about?

Well that is three pieces of 1mm x .4mm strip glued, tacked one end bit like you can with brass soldered together. Well I am trying this idea with plastic! It will make up three T brackets to secure the main resovoir air brake pipes to the chassis.

It is suprising how much gubbins needs to go onto the chassis, ok it wont work most wont be actually connected but I am trying to add whats visible and get the best approximation of what might and should be there.

post-7587-0-82722600-1382101423.jpg

0.8mm arcmedies brass drill going through the three layers

post-7587-0-82342000-1382101437.jpg

Drilling done.

post-7587-0-79529500-1382101470.jpg

Easy enough to cut three whilst the parts are in register.

post-7587-0-37147200-1382101482.jpg

Just need a few slithers to make a the T bracket to attach to the chassis.

Another nine for my Lima Super GUV fleet and thats my lot!

attachicon.gif1382099172264.jpg

First frame glued in. Secured using a Testors cement marker, then touched in with a little brush to get a drop of solvent at the corners. Carefully pressing home the thinned frame.

Once dry it will be given a little more thinning treatment and I for one think it looks very smart! Thanks Colin for the frames!!

Looking good Ian.

I have never seen a prototype picture of the vehicle you are modelling, but that frame shape looks just like a 4 CIG toilet window now I come to think of it.

All the best,

Colin

Hi Colin,

This NOA was a later super GUV rebuild with only twelve in the fleet and a sort of halfway house between a standard GUV and an all signing all dancing but less security conscious NKA.

The fleet received new plated ends, two roller shutter doors per side than three of a NKA . The Middle doors had no seemingly door furniture probably for its security element.

The sides seem a bit random with the vast majority of NKA's receiving smooth fresh plated sides the NOA's seem again a bit random with some as mine retaining a frame others a squared surface welded plate as in the door on mine.

As Bob pointed out BR seemed to make extensive use of common parts. The dimensions for the frame came off the GUV but clarified by Parkin's mark one bible. So im not that suprised that they are alike!

post-7587-0-92238800-1382140818.jpg

post-7587-0-77658500-1382140831.jpg

I was going to add another piece of strip, but thought better of it. The little oval is a builders plate etch from Southern Pride.

post-7587-0-83439400-1382141966.jpg

I think this forms a linkage between the brake cylinders around the vees and handbrake wheels mid vehicle. What goes on linkage cam wise is not really that visible so sadly wont feature. I mean why go to that bother?

post-7587-0-82887300-1382143241.jpg

I know the bar should end around the Vee hangers but it is were and how it would be terminated and how would it be fixed. Sooo I have gone for a botch and extended it and secured it with a tiny drop of superglue.

The mounting pivot is eight pieces of strip with eight shaping cuts on it. The cam is folded nickel silver strip folded then just tapered then seperated, small block of strip glued between them allowing the bar to be secured between the pair.

post-7587-0-29620400-1382143737_thumb.jpg

It is hard trying to get an image of what im attempting to describe above, this is the best I can do for now maybe daylight maybe better.

The bodyshell is now completed and will if it stays dry and mild, it is here anyway. The keys to the garage will be got out and the Halfords grey primer will be putting in an appearance.

I have Royal Mail red in stock as spray and tin. Not saying my painting is not the best but these NOA's seem to be a myriad of shades.

post-7587-0-90453500-1382290908.jpg

A simple .5mm square strip added under the step to attempt to replicate the new extra durbar plate added to RES bg and guv stock.

All six 20mm strips have been added with cement a drop of super glue will reinforce the joint later.

Sadly the weather changed before I could get the spray can out, but an order is being raised to DC kits for the missing vehicles of this fleet.

I think some wider door coaches could fit in nicely.

Last night I spent an hour reinforcing body joints with my recently acquired fresh plastic weld on the TPO body and roof line.

Next up will be a sequence of drilling a pilot hole for the BR rch connectors on all the 63' POS and POT models.

Glue sniffing is the least of it at the minute Sean!

Still its moving a big build along in the right way.

Just working out exactly what bits and bobs to order, I have another 14 £3.99 jobs to find a use for! Dont intend them all being for TPO's I can tell you.

I had the same problem with the rain this morning Ian.

Can't beat a bit of plastic weld to keep the spirit high though! ;o)

Cheers.

Sean.

Ohhh Sean I am already busy with a few yellow things! In another thread I am doing 9714, 999606 being ordered and 72630 has been being worked on between everything else!

Nothing like being busy. As for the others I have a DC kits 303 that could benefit from the undeframe moulding and rooves, but that is for another month..

I like the idea of having bits and bobs in store as standard, unlikely to get more of them for a similar price are we?

How aboit some departmental vehicles? They're generally individual and similar to the stuff you're doing here in build challengeability?.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Ohhh Sean I am already busy with a few yellow things! In another thread I am doing 9714, 999606 being ordered and 72630 has been being worked on between everything else!

Nothing like being busy. As for the others I have a DC kits 303 that could benefit from the undeframe moulding and rooves, but that is for another month..

I like the idea of having bits and bobs in store as standard, unlikely to get more of them for a similar price are we?

Indeed Ian.

I have to admit though, you lost me after "yellow things". I know what a tamper looks like, but I don't think a Mk1 would be a good donor for that particular project..... ;o)

Cheers.

Sean.

Blatant plug but what hooo!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69622-rtov-2f-from-mark-2d-bso/

Modern DB stuff tends to be yellow :(

Indeed Ian.

I have to admit though, you lost me after "yellow things". I know what a tamper looks like, but I don't think a Mk1 would be a good donor for that particular project..... ;o)

Cheers.

Sean.

Right those TPO ends, there are many subtle variations between the diagrams first to reach the cable is BPOT.

First the drilling jig was used with a 0.8mm pilot then drilled with the next bigger drill to hand 1.5mm the openings will then be opened out take either rod or tube. I then intend to place another jig over these once they are fixed to get them to an appropriate depth about 7thou and I will be happy. Then the next sequence will be to add the cover this will be rod either in the tube or on the base rod.

post-7587-0-29143800-1382527853.jpg

I am modelling these trains in their final full year of normal operation 2003. I have been deliberating for a while which extra vehicles need to be added to give an accurate representation of the fleet.

By 2003 the fleet was dispersed between Bristol and London.

The listing should read, number sequence, number in fleet, diagram number and finally major visible differences

Sorting Vans

80319 - 80327 (9) dia 728 VHF plate, wide doors

80328 - 80338 (5) dia 729 wide door, net space

80339 - 80355 (17) dia 731 VHF plate, wide door

80356 - 80380 (25) dia 726 narrow door

80381 - 80395 (12) dia 727 narrow door

Stowage vans

80403 - 80414 (8 dia 725 VHF plate if I use the bracket after the 8 its displaying a smiley?

80415 - 80424 (9) dia 732 wide doors outer, narrow centre

80425 - 80430 (6) dia 727 narrow doors

80431 - 80439 (9) dia 727a narrow doors

Stowage brake

80456 - 80458 (3) dia 733

Left off this list are the few large window vehicles left in service as modelled by Bachmann.

I think I would like to attempt at least one from dia 725 which didn't match the rest of the stowage fleet in only having two doors per side with an un equal spacing compared to the majority of the fleet. I will also have to add some other vehicles from other diagrams 728, 731 with vhf plates on their rooves.

Glad to get that all of my chest!

Hi John,

If your product can be used on TPO vehicles circa 2003 Id bite yer hand off for complete numbersets.

Sadly your link seems amiss in anything pertaining to this TPO led thread. .from day one

If you are in the process of refinishing Hachette Mk.1s, this may be relevant; it's the reason that I designed the Mk.1 transfer sheets :-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77937-new-coach-and-wagon-transfers-from-cambridge-custom-transfers/

Regards,

John Isherwood,

CCT.

Sadly your link seems amiss in anything pertaining to this TPO led thread. .from day one

Ian,

My link was posted in the hope that it might be of interest to readers who were hacking Hachette Mk.1s - the sheets do contain complete numbers for TPOs; albeit for the original BR livery.

There is a good chance that your project will inspire others to produce TPOs; perhaps for the earlier period.

Sorry if you considered my posting to be an intrusion.

Apologies,

John Isherwood.

Hi John,

No need to apologise, just your first post built my hopes up that I might have struck lucky in a supply of complete detail and number sets in the era I am modelling.

I have the main markings available via DC Kits and Fox, now number sets and those data panels hmmm

Ian,

My link was posted in the hope that it might be of interest to readers who were hacking Hachette Mk.1s - the sheets do contain complete numbers for TPOs; albeit for the original BR livery.

There is a good chance that your project will inspire others to produce TPOs; perhaps for the earlier period.

Sorry if you considered my posting to be an intrusion.

Apologies,

John Isherwood.

• 9 months later...

Sorry Bob, yep in total I have seven

733 stowage brake (one)

727 stowage (four)

726 sorting (two)

Which for TPO8 requires additional sorting vans an ideal opportunity to add some variety into the fleet. Which then leads onto the extra cheapo coaches and how some of them could be used to create an extra TPO (5&6) formation wise look possible. Somehow I transposed numbers, in what I would need to create an authentic rake!

you should add Bachmann super BG's, regular BG's and possibly gangwayed GUV's

Archived