My YMRV Mk1 Hack, TPO 'r' us

Hi Sean,

I thought I had replied in my previous post!

I had adopted a similar approach as yours via a Testors cement marker pen, bought over five years ago from Walmart (it has had some use too!) If only Asda would stock model tools and stuff!

It is a nice tacky glue, which has enough grab to just hold stuff. I have then sparingly used a few touches of plasticweld, which really then grabs the joint.

Just a suggestion Ian.....

If you use liquid poly and secure the middle/centre of the strip, once the initial fix is set, you can gradually work outwards along the curve until you reach the rain strip. You have to take your time with this method, but it always works for me, (my DP2 had a good number of roof ribs added using this method). Once in place, a little filler between strip and main roof will disguise the join nicely.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Ian,

As requested, for the ends of the YMRV mk1, I added all of the normal gear that the mk1s have; the multiple sockets and toilet pipes etc. The picture which was in the thread in the magazine section for the YMRV was done by firstly removing all of the moulded detail, and sanding down until the detail has been completely removed. After wet and drying I started on the multiple cables made of styrene and then the wire and receptacle heads added. Then the toilet overflow pipes can be added. These can be bent to shape looking at photos and then the brackets that hold them up can be added, the ones I used were overscale but only to save them from breaking off with handling. the toilet pipes are then held in place with a piece of rodding with two small holes made in it to keep the "pipes" in place , handrail knobs also could be added as a push fit item to help keep the toilet pipes in place

HTH

NL

More jiggery...

post-7587-0-13096200-1379635301.jpg

I have just been getting ready to look at setting the handrails at the same measurements and so far have created this simple jig.

The idea being I can secure the handrail with superglue inside then press the handrail in so it is .4mm away from the body. Being used across the build it should give a consistent dimension with all end handrails. Assembled from scarp strips of Evergreen.

Next up will be a drilling jig to set out equipment in the same locations I am thinking handrail (were fitted) RCH connectors (four per end)

Just had a delivery from RM containing RM items, this will be put into store for now but barring some bits and bobs from DC kits I have enough vehicles to form TPO8.

These are etched sides for an NOA a sort of half way house to a SUPER GUV, which had two lots of roller shutters and a pair of conventional but plated doors per side. I assume this was used for security purposes?

post-7587-0-19030600-1379668869.jpg

Fingers crossed I would hope to have acquired a Bachmann GUV to go with the Hurst NOA sides, the kit was designed for Lima's.

Having reworked and re-bogied eight Super GUV's. I think I will happily take my chances and see how it pans out, big plus it comes with commonwealths ready fitted!

Message #101 contained the trial of the creating a finer lip on the roof end, so a quick job with the guillotine and loads of ends for the overall build with a few spares thrown in as well.

post-7587-0-41556400-1379722297.jpg

In daylight and once I have had a sleep, I will begin sticking these to the removed ends and try to do them as a batch.

Thought I would get the strips ready and a little forming before they get the boiling water treatment.

post-7587-0-51399500-1379725450.jpg

They are held onto the reused ends by electrical wiring tape which has just enough grip to do the job needed of them.

If all these work and work well I will have the luxury of a good few spares if anything goes awry during glueing.

Hi Ian,

This is looking very promising now - there are many who would just accept the clumpy thick ends of the model roofs. You are obviously not that kind of modeller! I still think a thin fillet of superglue applied to the strips would give added strength after the pieces have been fixed with Liquid Poly and left to vent off for 24 hours. The super glue acts a s a good fine surface filler too.

The hand rail jig is a very neat solution to get consistency on all vehicles.

All the best,

Colin

I am awful at not keeping things neat as such, but struggle to keep all the bits of a project together at times.

I bought a load of really useful storage boxes, and will in time add in some foamcore to protect the models.

The 4L box as in the picture can hold five coaches comfy, is really robust stackable and well made.

I like the uniformity of them, I have struggled over the years to develop a storage having bought box files and used them, the problem with these is they struggle to hold a mark 3.

So yesterday I was told to rearrange my modelling space! So off I popped to the local stationers.

post-7587-0-24320800-1379944656.jpg

Still forming parts, these will be glued then secured with a dab of epoxey to allow the body to be braced in three places and will also allow the chassis to be retained on the body via the self tapping screws that came with the coach.

The original mounts came via the seating floorpan, this clipped into the shell, thankfully there would be little point to include what there is of a TPO interior as its barely visible, so my basic but functional fix should more than do the job!

The strips are 6.4mm x 1mm x 32mm

post-7587-0-33119800-1380023894.jpg

Not directly involved in this project, but one of the main reasons for purchasing a Bachmann GUV to represent the NOA that will feature in TPO8.

I am hoping the detail will be that bit finer than Lima's

post-7587-0-49107500-1380043134.jpg

post-7587-0-03858100-1380043147.jpg

post-7587-0-71022600-1380043160.jpg

post-7587-0-05909800-1380043174.jpg

I found many years ago I had to chop a lot of the floor out to enable an accurate ride height with 14mm wheels.

The buffers are a bit hit and miss for me, not sure though if there are any viable options for swaps, I get the feeling that a GUV buffer routinely is a different beast than those fitted to other mark one stock.

Believe it or not Ian, the Bachmann buffers are a fair representation of the real thing.  The GUV's used the same buffer and buffer housing as the Mk1's did.  The difference was that instead of having a removable collar for the long and short positions, the GUV buffer had a permanent round collar fitted over the buffer stem and behind the buffer head, keeping them in the extended position.

Thank you Bob!

Thats really bugged me for years where they the same? The devil I guess is in the detail.

So my Lima fleet could do with having carefully modified ABS extended buffers then? The above pics are the Lima example pre Bachmann by bout nine years!

I have these underway still ( the majority of them and the trussing is in my Mum's) the Lima Super GUV's need a lot of cosmetic and functional work to be undertaken to get them to the refurbished RES era, hopefully some of the hardwork will be negated with my soon to arrive Bachhy one, thats the hope and plan!

One thing BR was good at on coaching stock at least was re-using pre-existing parts in one shape or another (not something that could be said for much of the privately built locomotives).  That same basic design - buffer head, buffer housing (and collar on the retractable buffers) remained the same all the way from the Mk1's thro' to the end of the Mk3 Loco-Hauled's.   I should have added one other note - when the housing was used on the original GUV, it had a inverted 'U' shaped bracket welded on top to support the bottom door as it folded down.  On the later GUV conversions without the end doors, the 'U' shaped bracket was (eventually) removed.

A chance to go and chair my last AGM for Pagoda Arts home of Liverpool's Chinese Youth Orchestra, allowed a visit to my Mum's for a cuppa and a chance to visit the Northern stores site (my old bedroom)

Well I came away with many long held parts one being these vent axia castings, which I hope will be a match for the vent fitted to some TPO's

post-7587-0-11743500-1380224024.jpg

By 2003 the era I am looking creating the rake in the TPO fleet had seen a reduction in some of the older vehicles from the fleet.

An interesting group of stowage vans remained diagram 725 (80411-80414) originally built with flat ends and off set gangways, the vehicles were actually rebuilds from BSK's. Internally they seemed to have a lot more dedicated storage and work space. The LM Euston Downside vehicles unlike the rest of the fleet were still running on BR2 bogies, seemingly the last TPO's so fitted.

I wonder what use these vehicles were actually used for? Southern Pride I think does a version of them, maybe its worth a little variation in the fleet and worth adding one?

The other high security vehicles in my TPO, werent built as TPO's but the humble 57' GUV. With a tops code of NOA the Hurst etvhes feature up the thread in 2003 the fleet comprised tweleve vehicles.

The vehicles had new floors and unlike the super-guv fleet these had only two sets of roller shutters per side and what look like plated doors (internal hinges?) Midway. The vehicles all had new plated ends.

95715 (86714, 95115)

95727 (86323, 95127)

95734 (86462, 95134)

95739 (86172, 95139)

95743 (86485, 95143)

95749 (86265, 95149)

95754 (86897, 95154)

95758 (86499, 95158)

95759 (86084, 95159)

95761 (86205, 95161)

95762 (86122, 95162)

95763 (86407, 95163)

The body sides seem to be fully plated then some still have window frames visible, all had commonwealth bogies.

Liverywise yalf were in red and the rest in res.

My donor vehicle for the NOA arrived this am. I had sort of ignored the Bachmann GUV on release as it didnt fit with my era, and already having a fleet of nine Lima Super GUV's.

On opening the box first impressions are one of reluctance to chop it up. But my thoughts that it would need less remedial work have been happily prooven.

post-7587-0-27591000-1380361997.jpg

I think given an opportunity to see Bachmann produce a Super GUV I think it would be just that...

Now out with the big #astard file sob....

Just thought I would see how easy it would be to take apart...

Then the file was to hand and a few minutes destctrutive tlc and happily some of the detail, as fine as it is but unwanted for this project.

post-7587-0-56817800-1380365518.jpg

The body is just that body and ends with the roof being a separate moulding held in by spigots and maybe some glue, haven't worked out how it is retained yet. The roof has seperate vents, which will will be a boon as these will be replaced with something more like the prototype.

The chassis is kept on the body by two screws found under the coupler, although there are no clips, I think the assemnly sequence means some of the glue used to fix the very fine handrails on the doors may have bonded to the chassis. I carefully just eased the sides away going careful not to force anything. The chassis is clipped into the window glazing.

A little fettling of one of the etched ends, the ends come with a raised OHLE plate, in pictures though I cant see these on my example so out with the needle file and soon removed.

I am working from a picture of 95762, its a bitsa conversion as the sides haven't been fully plated over with evidence of the windows still being visible.

post-7587-0-43798600-1380371900.jpg

Bit of chain drilling, this will be done on the other three doors.

post-7587-0-70842800-1380380974.jpg

I had envisaged using the etched sides in one piece, but taking this one vehicle as one individual vehicle in the train, I want to see if I can slightly recess the roller shutter doors, and also retaining some of the more 3d detail over the fine Hurst etches. Hopefully it will result in a vehicle that looks like what it should. My Lima Super GUV's wont come into direct contact with this vehicle so am happy to invest a little more carving with this vehicle.

Archived